The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2023, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

2023 Camp Recommendations

I'll start. Been about six years since I have been to camp. I am at that point in my career where my HS varsity schedule is satisfyingly full and I'm no longer feeding the racket beast trying to get picked up collegiately. That rat race doesn't motivate me like it once did, and I'm ok with that.

But, I still like wholesome and objective feedback, and I still like getting better. So a good teaching/instructional camp from time to time is desirable.

Anyone have any recommendations for something like that in the Northeast U.S. this year? At least per the PhillyRef database, there are none up here east of New York, and in general one thing I've noticed post-pandemic is that quantity of camps nationwide is down and the cost of those that remain are up. The law of supply and demand spares nothing!

On a side note, is the camp racket process finally losing ground to the ubiquity of game video? It seems like the pandemic permanently altered the camp landscape. So if I'm a college supervisor who can't fetch as much $$$ on camps as I used to, for my recruiting needs can't I just watch NFHS Network games when someone gives me a tip on a good new official?

Last edited by crosscountry55; Thu Mar 23, 2023 at 01:51pm.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2023, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

If you are just looking for good instruction, I always recommend any camp run by NBA referees. There used to be one in the Philly area.

Another good camp for instructional purposes is Roger Ayers camp at Liberty University in VA sometime in June.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2023, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you are working a solid varsity schedule, that being said Raymond hit the nail on the head. I'd add Reggie Greenwood's camp ( CIAA ) at Spooky Nook. The instruction on friday is amazing and you are going to work in front of Gladden / Anderson / Walton and possibly Valentine. The ball consists of Low D1 players with some EYBL tems as well.