LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Offensive foul/flop/Incidental Contact

NCAA Men's Basketball:

Offensive foul was the call. Correct?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 01:08am
Do not give a damn!!

I have no issues with the call. The player just ran into him. Pretty big boy as well. Why is he running right at him in the first place?

Peace
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 06:59am
Courageous When Prudent

My only issue is the Center should have put a whistle on it instead of my good friend in the Lead.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

By rule, it's an offensive foul. But it's a terrible precedent to set for the game and essentially a way for the defense to abuse the rule. Derek Fisher used to do this all over the court on unsuspecting offensive players just switching ends.

The offensive player isn't attempting to post up, set a screen, cut to the basket etc...he's just switching ends. The defender is also looking to hit the floor. I hate it.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
By rule, it's an offensive foul. But it's a terrible precedent to set for the game and essentially a way for the defense to abuse the rule. Derek Fisher used to do this all over the court on unsuspecting offensive players just switching ends.

The offensive player isn't attempting to post up, set a screen, cut to the basket etc...he's just switching ends. The defender is also looking to hit the floor. I hate it.
I don't like it either. Similar, to the guy that turned to run up court and celebrated and accidentally punched the guy. There was no foul on that play.

So, why a foul on this play? What is the difference?
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I don't like it either. Similar, to the guy that turned to run up court and celebrated and accidentally punched the guy. There was no foul on that play.

Those are two very different things. All contact is not a foul for one. And if you are going to call a Flagrant or Intentional Foul on that, there has to be more than they run into each other accidentally. That happens all the time.

This play is a live ball with a player clearly standing in front of him and he does nothing to avoid him. He runs him over. That is a very different play.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 03:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post

Because you can't rule a common foul on a monitor review unless there was a whistle for some sort of foul in the first place. Their only choices were F1 or F2, and the play did not meet the criteria for either.

Every player being entitled to their spot is a common concept in basketball. The offensive player had time and distance to avoid contact and didn't in this play. He also didn't stop upon contact, he extended his arms further in knocking down the opponent.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2023, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Heck -- I've called this in a HS game. Delaying the offensive player from getting to his spot is valid defense.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Heck -- I've called this in a HS game. Delaying the offensive player from getting to his spot is valid defense.
While I agree think this likely needs to be called, I don't believe this defender was merely trying to delay the offensive player. It's possible that he'd been pushed around prior and this was a necessary tactic - but the defender's entire goal on this play was to draw an offensive foul. Much like an offensive player swinging his arms through a defenders arm in a wholly unnatural motion (a la KD or Chris Paul) with the sole goal being another foul on the defense.

Those type of plays are, in my opinion, bad for the game of basketball and we should be hesitant to reward them.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
While I agree think this likely needs to be called, I don't believe this defender was merely trying to delay the offensive player. It's possible that he'd been pushed around prior and this was a necessary tactic - but the defender's entire goal on this play was to draw an offensive foul. Much like an offensive player swinging his arms through a defenders arm in a wholly unnatural motion (a la KD or Chris Paul) with the sole goal being another foul on the defense.

Those type of plays are, in my opinion, bad for the game of basketball and we should be hesitant to reward them.
What do you want to happen? He is allowed that spot as he got there in plenty of time. And by rule he gave plenty of time and distance. The offensive player needs to go around or set up before contact.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

This may be the easiest call that any D1 official may make all year. I'm concerned that other posters may think that this foul may be exaggerated or has no place in the game.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 01:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Foul ...

In my high school game, this is a team control foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What do you want to happen? He is allowed that spot as he got there in plenty of time. And by rule he gave plenty of time and distance. The offensive player needs to go around or set up before contact.

Peace
Again, I think this is a foul. But any action designed solely to draw is ugly and a short distance to an unwatchable and unmanageable game.

This offensive player clearly committed a foul, but if he were at half court and looking to the side and the same contact occurred it would still be a TC foul by rule. Do we want that to be part of the game? Intentionally stepping in front of unaware players in order to rack up team fouls?

The play in question isn’t that, but it’s not too far off.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 11:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Again, I think this is a foul. But any action designed solely to draw is ugly and a short distance to an unwatchable and unmanageable game.

This offensive player clearly committed a foul, but if he were at half court and looking to the side and the same contact occurred it would still be a TC foul by rule. Do we want that to be part of the game? Intentionally stepping in front of unaware players in order to rack up team fouls?

The offensive player can avoid this by going around. He could do that anywhere on the court. It rarely happens for that reason.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 30, 2023, 11:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

There are time and distance factors for players without the ball. Those requirements were met. If an opponent is standing like a statue in the middle of a court, run around them and be wide open to receive the ball bc they won't be ready to play defense and react to your movement.

In my 20 years of officiating it was never an epidemic. In my first year in retirement I've watched a lot of basketball in my positions as observer and trainer and haven't seen it happen once this season. If it happens more than once in a game the coach needs to talk to his or her players about paying attention to what's going on in front of them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 31, 2023 at 06:36am.