The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FT Mechanic--Intentional Miss in End of Game Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105901-ft-mechanic-intentional-miss-end-game-situation.html)

bas2456 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:40am

FT Mechanic--Intentional Miss in End of Game Situation

We didn't pregame this and I don't think I ever have had it come up in a pregame. Team A is down 2 with 2.7 seconds left in the 4th quarter. A1 is fouled and is shooting two. She misses the first. She intentionally misses the second by chucking the ball at the rim and hitting the back heel. However, she's called for a violation, entering the lane too soon.

Just wondering if there's an actual prescribed mechanic for coverage in this situation. The way we did it yesterday worked, but wondering if there's an actual correct way to handle it

JRutledge Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44am

What are you thinking? The Center in a 3 person and a Trail in a 2 Person has the player crossing the line early. The other officials are really not in a good spot to see the shooter on the lane.

Peace

bas2456 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1049852)
What are you thinking? The Center in a 3 person and a Trail in a 2 Person has the player crossing the line early. The other officials are really not in a good spot to see the shooter on the lane.

Peace

Sort of answers my question. This particular situation was in a 3-man game. We ended up doing it "backwards", with the T calling the lane violation on the shooter and the C making sure the ball hit the rim.

In this one play, the violation was obvious but I can certainly understand why the C should take the shooter since it might not always be obvious.

JRutledge Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:18pm

The T can help if it is obvious that the violation took place. What was the C looking at?

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1049853)
Sort of answers my question. This particular situation was in a 3-man game. We ended up doing it "backwards", with the T calling the lane violation on the shooter and the C making sure the ball hit the rim.

In this one play, the violation was obvious but I can certainly understand why the C should take the shooter since it might not always be obvious.

Except that as soon as the ball is released, C needs to move from the shooter to the rebounding action. T needs to be active and help with shooter violations and violations by other crossing the FT line or fouling the shooter -- along with watching the players not on the FT lane.

bas2456 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:38pm

C followed the ball.

JRutledge Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1049856)
C followed the ball.

Only the ball?

Peace

bas2456 Tue Jan 17, 2023 01:01pm

Yes. In our postgame discussion, we figured we had two priorities over everything else...ball hitting rim, and the shooter waiting for the ball to hit the rim.

The L was watching as many of the 6 on the lane as he could.

Raymond Tue Jan 17, 2023 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1049851)
We didn't pregame this and I don't think I ever have had it come up in a pregame. Team A is down 2 with 2.7 seconds left in the 4th quarter. A1 is fouled and is shooting two. She misses the first. She intentionally misses the second by chucking the ball at the rim and hitting the back heel. However, she's called for a violation, entering the lane too soon.

Just wondering if there's an actual prescribed mechanic for coverage in this situation. The way we did it yesterday worked, but wondering if there's an actual correct way to handle it

A free throw is a free throw. Whatever a team's intentions, there are already rules and mechanics in place to handle whatever they do.

JRutledge Tue Jan 17, 2023 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1049858)
Yes. In our postgame discussion, we figured we had two priorities over everything else...ball hitting rim, and the shooter waiting for the ball to hit the rim.

The L was watching as many of the 6 on the lane as he could.

But the Lead should only really be watching 3 to 4 players at most. The same as the Center. The lead cannot watch all 6 players on a FT very well.

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Jan 20, 2023 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1049853)

The C can't tell if the shooter is in too early without also knowing when the ball hits.

BillyMac Fri Jan 20, 2023 05:09pm

I Can See Clearly Now (Johnny Nash, 1972) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1049915)
The C can't tell if the shooter is in too early without also knowing when the ball hits.

Great peripheral vision?

Raymond Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1049917)
Great peripheral vision?

His point is you can't do your job as the Center official on free throws if you don't know both pieces of the puzzle. Therefore it doesn't make sense for one official to take the shooter and another official to make sure the ball hits the room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Jan 21, 2023 01:08pm

Puzzle ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1049920)
... both pieces of the puzzle.

It's the only way it can, and must, be done in a two person game, using peripheral vision and possibly peripheral hearing

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...67fea40c_m.jpg

BillyMac Sat Jan 21, 2023 02:11pm

Too Many Cooks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1049920)
... it doesn't make sense for one official to take the shooter and another official to make sure the ball hits the room.

It doesn't make any sense to me either. Unless they're identical twins and have some type of a shared extra sensory perception.