The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA-M shot clock question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105862-ncaa-m-shot-clock-question.html)

Scrapper1 Sun Dec 11, 2022 04:28pm

NCAA-M shot clock question

Shot clock shows 18 seconds when A1 attempts to dunk the ball. He gets "stuffed" by the rim and the try never leaves his hands before the ball contacts the rim. A2 controls the rebound in Team A's frontcourt. Does the shot clock reset to 20 seconds?

I seem to remember that there was a time when the reset occurred when the try hit the rim after being released by the shooter. But I can't find that verbiage anymore.

In our game, we allowed the 20 second reset because the dunk attempt was a try and it contacted the ring. Did we make the correct decision?

Nevadaref Sun Dec 11, 2022 07:36pm

I don’t know the text of the NCAAM rule, but who in their right mind would argue against that? The intent and purpose of the shot clock was clearly met.

JRutledge Sun Dec 11, 2022 08:35pm

The ball hit the rim on a shot attempt. What more do you need to know to reset the shot clock? Unless you find and A.R. that says otherwise, reset the clock and move on. To me you are doing what a lot of officials tend to do, they have to find the exact reference and do not use common sense to just call the game. There would have to be something I know that says otherwise not to reset a shot that hit the rim on a dunk attempt. As stated, what is the intent and purpose of the rule?

Peace

Scrapper1 Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1049499)
The ball hit the rim on a shot attempt. What more do you need to know to reset the shot clock?

To be clear, we all agreed that the reset was correct. But somewhere in the mists of time, I thought I remembered that the rule used to say that the ball had to be released to get a reset. Maybe I was making that up.

JRutledge Tue Dec 13, 2022 01:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1049503)
To be clear, we all agreed that the reset was correct. But somewhere in the mists of time, I thought I remembered that the rule used to say that the ball had to be released to get a reset. Maybe I was making that up.

The rules say for a reset for 30 and a reset for 20 is when a try his the ring or flange.

Rule 2-11.6.a.4 says:
Quote:

4. A try for goal strikes the ring or flange and control is gained by the nonshooting team;
And Rule 2-11.6.d.1 says:

Quote:

1. The offensive team is the first to gain control of the ball in their frontcourt after an unsuccessful field goal attempt that contacts the ring or flange......
Nothing about the release. IJS

Peace

Raymond Tue Dec 13, 2022 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1049503)

Maybe you're thinking of the play where a defender blocks a dunk attempt into the rim while the ball is still in A1's hands? I had an email exchange with John Adams when he was coordinator and he said in that case the clock would not be reset.

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 13, 2022 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1049506)
Maybe you're thinking of the play where a defender blocks a dunk attempt into the rim while the ball is still in A1's hands? I had an email exchange with John Adams when was coordinator and he said in that case the clock would not be reset.

This could be it. I just want to know that I'm not crazy. LOL

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 13, 2022 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1049504)
The rules say for a reset for 30 and a reset for 20 is when a try his the ring or flange.

Rule 2-11.6.a.4 says:

And Rule 2-11.6.d.1 says:

Nothing about the release. IJS

Peace

I know all this. Believe me, I searched the rulebook in the locker room :D That's why I was wondering if it used to be different.

JRutledge Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1049511)
I know all this. Believe me, I searched the rulebook in the locker room :D That's why I was wondering if it used to be different.

It could have been. I do remember what Raymond said about what John Adams said. But I believe it only involved a block. I do not think the rules apply that way anymore.

Peace

Scrapper1 Wed Dec 14, 2022 07:33pm

Found it. NCAA-M 9-11-2

A shot-clock try for field goal is defined as the ball having left the shooter's hand(s) before the sounding of the shot-clock horn and then striking the ring or flange, or entering the basket.

I knew it. Wish I'd been more positive during the game. No reset in the original situation.

Raymond Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1049515)
Found it. NCAA-M 9-11-2

A shot-clock try for field goal is defined as the ball having left the shooter's hand(s) before the sounding of the shot-clock horn and then striking the ring or flange, or entering the basket.

I knew it. Wish I'd been more positive during the game. No reset in the original situation.

I'm trying to think if I ever had that situation. I probably did but the player went back up with a shot so fast, we didn't need to address the shot clock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:54pm

Quote:

Found it. NCAA-M 9-11-2

I don’t care for this rule, but I understand why it was written that way. I now recall a discussion several years ago about a team with a small lead trying to run out the clock late in the game. The question was if A1 were to purposely smack the ball into the ring without letting go of it (so that Team A could retain possession) would the shot clock reset. Most felt that this was attempting to circumvent the shot clock rule and that it was unfair.

That said, this mindset shouldn’t apply when the game clock is not a factor, such as in the middle of the first half.

BillyMac Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:16pm

To Paraphrase Preacher Roe ...

Sometimes you eat the common sense and sometimes the common sense eats you.

Fun fact: Major League pitcher Preacher Roe, while coaching high school basketball after the 1945 baseball season, suffered a fractured skull in a fight with a referee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1049499)
... use common sense to just call the game.

Never met a truly great official who didn't have a ton of common sense.

99% of the time JRutledge's statement is true.

But not this time.

Quote:

NCAA-M 9-11-2: A shot-clock try for field goal is defined as the ball having left the shooter's hand(s) before the sounding of the shot-clock horn and then striking the ring or flange, or entering the basket.