The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2022, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Full-Court Buzzer Beater ...

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/spor...e/10838598002/

Did he travel after the rebound by lifting his pivot foot before releasing the ball to start his dribble?

Too close to call so don't call it?

Bad "look" for the lead, stuck fighting for space with both the wall behind him and the cheerleader?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 06, 2022, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I saw a travel. But at that level not sure any one will call it.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2022, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Travel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Yes I saw a travel. But at that level not sure any one will call it.
Even before I replayed it, first time I watched it, I thought, "He took the train".

Hard to blame the lead, with the wall as close to the court as it is, he couldn't get back far enough for an open look. Probably couldn't get a good look at his feet, if at all?

We used to have such a gym for high school varsity games. It had exit doors on one endline, and I often wedged myself in the doorways to get better looks as the lead. It was worse down the the other end, with no doors.

Same gym where I collided with a cheerleader doing her, "Yea, rah, rah Johnny" routine after Johnny made a basket. She was still on the court, near the sideline, as I, the old trail became the new lead, and turned and sprinted down the court, looking over my shoulder, as the opponents started a post-basket fast break.

I bet that she never did that again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 06, 2022 at 02:09pm.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2022, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Never mind all that, did you catch the youngster on the bench in the foreground who wanted nothing more than to lean back to get a sight line to the basket, too late, and then his mother or whoever explaining the significance of it to him?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2022, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Bowling Alley ...

Love the atmosphere of the gym (for a middle school game).

Small, but vocal, crowd. Exuberant cheerleaders. Beautiful parquet floor. Seems clean and well-lit. Like the American flag and banners on the walls. Table on the stage is quaint.

I would officiate a game in this gym in a heartbeat.

Used to officiate in a similar gym for Catholic middle school games. Gym looked like a bowling alley. Same exact intersection between three point arc and sideline as the video.

Big difference was that my gym had no space "behind" the sidelines, sideline boundaries were just a half-inch away from the side walls. Inbounding players couldn't stand completely out of bounds (we used a broken line marked on the court parallel with and three feet inside sideline boundary). Teams sat on benches on the endlines on opposite ends of the court, home bench near the table, also on the endline. Had to watch both ends for substitutes. Bleachers for fans on one end of the gym, a few folding chairs for fans on the other end of the gym.

Hate the illegal undershirts in the video. Boys game, easy to tell them to take off the illegal undershirts. I won't even watch them if they take off the illegal undershirts at the benches. Yeah, I'm a rebel.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 07, 2022 at 02:50pm.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2022, 02:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Just Want To Celebrate (Rare Earth, 1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Never mind all that, did you catch the youngster on the bench in the foreground who wanted nothing more than to lean back to get a sight line to the basket, too late, and then his mother or whoever explaining the significance of it to him?
I get a kick out of the Dad coming out of the bleachers planning to join the player celebration on the court, then realizing that he was the only parent on the court, deciding against it, going back to the bleachers, and settling for hug from another Dad.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 07, 2022 at 02:54pm.