The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 05, 2000, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question

I realize that this discussion has been floating around over the years, but what level do you do the most or perfer to do and why? I mean do you like boys over girls, or girls over boys. And does the people that assign you one, not assign you the other.

My first HS game will be a girls varsity game on the 16th. My assignor asked me would I do this game like he thought that I would not want to. I do mostly boys but I do have girls games this year. Not enough to qualify for the post season, but I do have them. I was just wondering is this different from where you are or not.
Old Sun Nov 05, 2000, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Angry Basketball Girls or Boys

In my state there is so much of both that you have that choce.Myself I don't like womens basketball but when certain asignors call me and ask me to do a womens game, I usually take it so I can say in good grace with them! Also they allready know that I choose not to do it but they call me any way. They've been trying to get me certified in girls basketball for the last 5 or 6 years.
Old Sun Nov 05, 2000, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Up here in the North, Canada to be specific. Girls played from September to December, guys play from Nov. to march, so you get to have the best of both worlds.

Tyler
Old Sun Nov 05, 2000, 07:18pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
Up here in the North, Canada to be specific. Girls played from September to December, guys play from Nov. to march, so you get to have the best of both worlds.

Tyler
Tyler,
That would be "Down North", I think. About 400 miles South,and many miles East.
mick
Old Sun Nov 05, 2000, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

In Ga. you dont have much of a choice. a typical assignment
consists of a Girls varsity and boys varsity in the same
night you do both games.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In CO, most officials will do both. I don't know of any who absolutely refuse one or the other. That said, my preference is girls ball. I have worked six varsity level girls games in one day(summer tournament). I don't think I could have done six boys varsity level games on that day. In fact, when I came back the next day they had me lined up for four boys games and I turned them back for some girls games. When I had a chance to do same level, I called one and that was it. I was totally spent.

As I had a chance to talk to Ron Pilo about this issue. I told him. I wouldn't have started officiating if it wasn't for the boys but it is the girls that have kept me going.

So past the endurance part. I will watch WNBA on TV but not NBA. I think girls play better fundimental basketball. And finally the best game I ever called: Girls Junior High 2A 27-28 final score.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

I cannot find any real preference. Boys/men play a little faster and higher that girls/women - but it's still a great game, just different!
Old Fri Nov 10, 2000, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
girls/boys

I agree with Tim, that WNBA is a lot more fun to watch. I vastly prefer girls to boys, but perhaps I'm prejudice since I am just an overgrown girl myself. At the very highest level of play, boys (not men's) looks like it would be a lot of fun to ref, except for the attitude stuff.

But for a woman ref in girls' ball, the upward progress is potentially much faster, so I'm sticking to Jr Hi anyone, and HS girls. Why compete with the ol' boys network, when I can be at the Div III or Div II level in just a few years?
Old Sat Nov 11, 2000, 04:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: girls/boys

I have found that the girls say more to you than boys do. I really do not know why other than maybe they like to communicate more then boys do. But I have had more problems from the girls making comments after calls they do not like. Boys will just look at you and if they say anything, it will be under their breath.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I agree with Tim, that WNBA is a lot more fun to watch. I vastly prefer girls to boys, but perhaps I'm prejudice since I am just an overgrown girl myself. At the very highest level of play, boys (not men's) looks like it would be a lot of fun to ref, except for the attitude stuff.

Old Sat Nov 11, 2000, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Rut,
I don't know about you but I've had more problems with boys complainining with the call. Girls will communicate with you better about stuff like "23 is hold me." But boys are more likely to do or say something to draw the Technical foul.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2000, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Rut,
I don't know about you but I've had more problems with boys complainining with the call. Girls will communicate with you better about stuff like "23 is hold me." But boys are more likely to do or say something to draw the Technical foul.

I will say this, when boys get upset, they are a little more hostile about it. Girls will make comments in a smart@@@ kind of way. But all in all, it may depend on where you are at in the country. People act differently depending on the evironment. I have even see a difference from a rural school compared to a city school. And even if the city school is a urban school compared to suburban school.