The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 23, 2022, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I first witnessed this about 12 years ago from Scott Foster.
At the time he was the only one doing it. It spread like wildfire in some small college leagues and the under 30 generation who had NBA aspirations.

Fast foward five years later, I was at a camp where a current D1 supervisor asked an official to show him his 3pt mechanic. Said official did his "Pledge Allegiance" mechanic. After doing it five times the official realized what the supervisor was getting at. This "mechanic" has lost its steam around here. The latest "fad" seems to have the elbow at a 90 degree angle....to each his own.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2022, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
At the time he was the only one doing it. It spread like wildfire in some small college leagues and the under 30 generation who had NBA aspirations.

Fast foward five years later, I was at a camp where a current D1 supervisor asked an official to show him his 3pt mechanic. Said official did his "Pledge Allegiance" mechanic. After doing it five times the official realized what the supervisor was getting at. This "mechanic" has lost its steam around here. The latest "fad" seems to have the elbow at a 90 degree angle....to each his own.
Interesting. Been to many D1 camps over the years and never had anyone address this in any way good or bad. Or never heard anyone give a name to any such pose.

Just shows how regional stuff can be in officiating.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 23, 2022, 01:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Fast foward five years later, I was at a camp where a current D1 supervisor asked an official to show him his 3pt mechanic. Said official did his "Pledge Allegiance" mechanic. After doing it five times the official realized what the supervisor was getting at...
It got so bad in this region (would also be done on foul calls), that even Joe Forte got tired of his officials doing it, and he is someone who loves NBA-type presentation on the court.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2022, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It got so bad in this region (would also be done on foul calls), that even Joe Forte got tired of his officials doing it, and he is someone who loves NBA-type presentation on the court.
I knew my good friend Raymond ( BNR ) would have something to add. And yes Rut, you are correct it was a regional thing , from DC to Atlanta if you were under 30, had NBA / Big South aspirations this is what you did.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2022, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
All I was saying was it was likely a personal thing that official does. If you watch enough film on yourself, we all do something that might look wonky if we evaluated it that deep. I know I have and why I changed some things on purpose.

Peace
*Ok, so self-observations led to mindset changes which ultimately led to certain behavioral changes that were either added to or discarded from your game; however, I will not be adding that particular marking to my game, although I shall remain a curious observer of it.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2022, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

*This is awesome History for us. Thanks for sharing. Also, it sheds light on how a previous ly bonafide mechanic can devolve into a "fad". Yet a different/new mechanic can evolve as a result of the other falling out of favor in referee subculture.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2022, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Wow, all I can say is wow, this enlightening for sure. The irony of even that ref of note becoming exhausted by the incessant display of his own mechanic by his emulators is indeed irony at its highest level , thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Aug 23, 2022 at 08:08pm. Reason: Grammar