The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 07, 2022, 10:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Pay Attention To NBA Summer Basketball ???

Not me., but for the good of the cause:

NBA Says Take-Foul Penalty Will Change At Summer Leagues

The NBA has sent another strong indicator that the penalty for transition take fouls is about to change.

Such fouls will result in a penalty of one free throw, plus retention of the ball, at all three summer leagues this season – first the two smaller ones in San Francisco and Salt Lake City that start this weekend, then the 30-team one in Las Vegas that opens next week.

Changing the rule at the NBA level has been mulled for several years, with momentum moving toward finally making something happen in recent months. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told The Associated Press last month that he expects the oft-maligned foul to come with stiffer penalties next season. That move is likely to come when the NBA’s board of governors meets later this month.

”I am confident that we’ll see a change,” Silver said in the AP interview. ”I would not say I’m overconfident that it will be the last change, even though this is a rule that we’ve been experimenting with in the G League for last four years.”

The play occurs when a defender intentionally commits a foul to halt a transition opportunity for the opposition. Typically, such a foul only has resulted in the disadvantaged team taking the ball out of bounds. But since 2018, in the G League, when a defender commits a take foul, the fouled team retains possession and gets one free throw before play resumes.

”I think the take foul needs to be abolished as soon as humanly possible,” Golden State coach Steve Kerr said during the playoffs.

The G League and Summer League are the traditional testing labs for the NBA before making rule changes or amending policies. Among those that started at those levels and eventually got to the NBA; the coaches’ challenge, plus resetting the 24-second shot clock to 14 seconds in offensive rebound situations.

Other changes coming to the three summer leagues: The NBA will test new policies where referees have limitations on initiating replay reviews; referees will not have the ability to initiate reviews of goaltending or basket interference during the final 2 minutes of fourth quarters and overtime; and in Las Vegas only, a light will be installed at the scorer’s table to announce that a scoring change is forthcoming based on the replay center’s review of a completed play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jul 07, 2022, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Will the change on take fouls trickle down to other levels? That will be interesting, because it could significantly change how games end.
Old Thu Jul 07, 2022, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reviews ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... referees will not have the ability to initiate reviews of goaltending or basket interference during the final 2 minutes of fourth quarters and overtime ...
I know little about NBA rules, and even less about reviews, but it seems to me that the time frames mentioned here are important times to get things right.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jul 07, 2022, 05:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Intentional Fouls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Will the change on take fouls trickle down to other levels?
We've (high school) already got it (similar), intentional fouls, two free throws for the fouled player, and the ball at the spot of the foul.

Quote:
... a defender intentionally commits a foul to halt a transition opportunity for the opposition ...

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jul 08, 2022 at 03:55pm.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2022, 06:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Will the change on take fouls trickle down to other levels? That will be interesting, because it could significantly change how games end.
The NBA is out of step with other levels in regards to intentional types of fouls. Remember the Hack-a-Shaq?

I feel high school and NCAA Men's have it right in regards to that type of play. Can't comment on NCAA women's bc I really don't know their rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jul 08, 2022, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Things Right ...

Quote:
I know little about NBA rules, and even less about reviews, but it seems to me that the time frames mentioned here are important times to get things right.
Not sure what an NBA "review" is, but it sounds like a method to "get things right".

Quote:
... referees will not have the ability to initiate reviews of goaltending or basket interference during the final 2 minutes of fourth quarters and overtime ...

Old Fri Jul 08, 2022, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The NBA is out of step with other levels in regards to intentional types of fouls. Remember the Hack-a-Shaq?

I feel high school and NCAA Men's have it right in regards to that type of play. Can't comment on NCAA women's bc I really don't know their rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Substantially the same, but who shoots and inbounds location might differ.