The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbounds Play after time out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105721-inbounds-play-after-time-out.html)

rbruno Sat Apr 23, 2022 03:42pm

Inbounds Play after time out

Team A calls a time with a throw in on the endline under there basket to follow. Teams break the huddle and Player A-1 goes to the endline and the other four players are still at the bench on the floor and Team A coach points to me and says go ahead ( hand the ball to player A-1 ). I hand the ball to A-1 and the other players then run around into their set. Is this something illegal for trying to fool Team B into thinking the time out is not over or is this a legal play?

Rich Sat Apr 23, 2022 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1048069)
Team A calls a time with a throw in on the endline under there basket to follow. Teams break the huddle and Player A-1 goes to the endline and the other four players are still at the bench on the floor and Team A coach points to me and says go ahead ( hand the ball to player A-1 ). I hand the ball to A-1 and the other players then run around into their set. Is this something illegal for trying to fool Team B into thinking the time out is not over or is this a legal play?

Are they on the floor?

If so, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rbruno Sat Apr 23, 2022 04:47pm

Everyone on the floor

bob jenkins Sat Apr 23, 2022 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1048071)
Everyone on the floor

Who cares where they stand on the floor?

rbruno Sun Apr 24, 2022 09:33am

Just thought there might be something in the rule book about the deception. Like when teams go to the wrong side of the floor on purpose for the second half throw in.

BillyMac Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:10am

Wrong Way Corrigan ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1048073)
Like when teams go to the wrong side of the floor on purpose for the second half throw in.

Nothing illegal about that, I'm not even sure that it's unethical.

As the referee, I just exaggerate my direction pointing, state the color extra loud, and really blast my whistle, and then let the chips fall where they may.

May also visually check the arrow at the table and may make eye contact with my partner to make sure that we, indeed, aren't going the wrong way.

BillyMac Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:14am

Deception. ...

Quote:

Just thought there might be something in the rule book about the deception.

Used to have a buddy, Pat Witherill, who in high school gym class would release early on fast breaks and pretend, with his eyes and arm motion, to get ready to catch a long outlet pass that never comes, forcing me to get back on defense very quickly, just to bust my balls.

bob jenkins Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:19am

Quote:

Like when teams go to the wrong side of the floor on purpose for the second half throw in.

It is just like that. Perfectly legal in both cases.