Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 02:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NCAA Hanging On Rim Technical Foul ...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1505604545119805445

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-tourna..._recirculation

I'm allowing this in my HIGH SCHOOL game.

No chin up. No excessive swinging. No showboating. No, "Hey everybody, look at me".

Just, "Let me swing back a little (not even all the way back) so that I can land safely without breaking my ankle".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 20, 2022 at 04:08pm.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah that’s not good. Great official but not a great call at all.

Brian O’Connell’s audition for next weekend might have just ended unsuccessfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sun Mar 20, 2022 at 03:02pm.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt that call gets O'Connell sent home. If he doesn't advance it will be for other reasons.

It's well known that the tournament is officiated more "by the book" than the regular season.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

For years I have called O’Connell, “The Peacock.” It’s more important to him to preen around than it is to call the game. It’s unfortunate that this still happens in today’s game.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

O'Connell made the correct call. "Grasping either basket in an excessive, emphatic manner during officials' jurisdiction when the player is not, in the official's judgement, trying to prevent an obvious injury to self or others" is a class B technical foul, according to Rule 10-4.1.e.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
O'Connell made the correct call. "Grasping either basket in an excessive, emphatic manner during officials' jurisdiction when the player is not, in the official's judgement, trying to prevent an obvious injury to self or others" is a class B technical foul, according to Rule 10-4.1.e.

Did you know that even O’Connell himself disagrees with you?

He said as much to the Illinois HC after the game. He knows he kicked it.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ighting-illini

“Underwood said after the game the official told him the foul shouldn't have been called, and the coach wondered if there was a personal motivation to calling the foul.

"[O'Connell] told me he should never have called it," Underwood said. "Maybe it's personal, I don't know. To call it like that, when a kid has a head of steam going 100 mph? We all talk about health and safety of the student-athletes. Come on.”
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 10:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ighting-illini

“Underwood said after the game the official told him the foul shouldn't have been called, and the coach wondered if there was a personal motivation to calling the foul.

"[O'Connell] told me he should never have called it," Underwood said. "Maybe it's personal, I don't know. To call it like that, when a kid has a head of steam going 100 mph? We all talk about health and safety of the student-athletes. Come on.”
I have no opinion on whether or not to call is right or wrong. But I do have an opinion on trusting coaches with second hand accounting of what officials supposedly told them. Especially when coaches use fanboy language about making it personal.

My personal experience is that coaches are less than 100% honest when relaying such information.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2022, 10:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who cares what Underwood said. I doubt that conversation even went that way or in that manner. I would not think it would be smart for an official at that level to interact with the coach in that way. I am not buying that at all.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

The only thing more insane than Underwood’s fanboy take is the fact that people on this forum genuinely believe that interaction with O’Connell happened.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 06:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Who cares what Underwood said. I doubt that conversation even went that way or in that manner. I would not think it would be smart for an official at that level to interact with the coach in that way. I am not buying that at all.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The only thing more insane than Underwood’s fanboy take is the fact that people on this forum genuinely believe that interaction with O’Connell happened.
I'm trying to figure out when this conversation would have taken place. If it's going to happen, it would be the next time O'Connell was in front of his bench. After that point everybody has moved on and we don't revisit plays with coaches, especially after a game.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 08:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'm trying to figure out when this conversation would have taken place. If it's going to happen, it would be the next time O'Connell was in front of his bench. After that point everybody has moved on and we don't revisit plays with coaches, especially after a game.

Exactly. And if he said something during the game, when would he have come to that epiphany?

I say this all the time, we do not know really when we miss most calls until we see the video. We might have a feeling, but we do not know how bad it looks or good it looks until we see the video.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

There was a similar play in my area this year that we've discussed back and forth. In a game that was already in hand, it was basically the same motion of the momentum swing through and 1 swing back without lift while another player was in close enough proximity to further allow the swing.
The lead had issued a technical and actually the Trail intercepted to discuss that there was a player near enough that it shouldn't be a technical.
The Lead stuck with the call.

The NCAA probably already has video examples somewhere on this of what should and should not be called a technical foul, but I know the NFHS doesn't and should definitely make it a POE this coming year WITH enough video examples that should pretty much cover most situations. Officials need to be able to comprehend between showboating, excess, etc... and momentum, player safety, etc...
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 09:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
There was a similar play in my area this year that we've discussed back and forth. In a game that was already in hand, it was basically the same motion of the momentum swing through and 1 swing back without lift while another player was in close enough proximity to further allow the swing.
The lead had issued a technical and actually the Trail intercepted to discuss that there was a player near enough that it shouldn't be a technical.
The Lead stuck with the call.

The NCAA probably already has video examples somewhere on this of what should and should not be called a technical foul, but I know the NFHS doesn't and should definitely make it a POE this coming year WITH enough video examples that should pretty much cover most situations. Officials need to be able to comprehend between showboating, excess, etc... and momentum, player safety, etc...
It could be addressed, but this is the only call like this I have seen in some time anyway. So I doubt they need to make a big deal out of it if this remains the only call that was made and the NCAA feels this is nothing in the long run. But it could come up, I just do not think they will bother unless we have several more calls related to dunks.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 21, 2022, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
I feel at the NFHS level at least, that it should be brought up for discussion between officials and coaches so that everyone is on the same page. And maybe that's just me having seen it a few times this year (both correctly and incorrectly penalized).

Also, not to hi-jack this thread but sort of on topic, this occurred during the Texas Tech/Notre Dame game:
(5:29 - 5:41 mark)

This is definitely OBI, but in a live game I'm not sure if any official is going to be able to pick this out and discern between that and a normal two-handed dunk, depending on your angle. During the slow motion replay when this was live, it was much easier to tell.
The play you showed is not the same as the Illinois play. Not even close.

Peace