The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2021, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Minnesota approves HS shot clock for 2023

The Minnesota State High School League's Board of Directors unanimously approved a motion on Thursday to mandate the implementation of a shot clock at the varsity levels of boys and girls basketball, starting with the 2023-24 varsity season.

Minnesota joins California, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Washington as the only states to use a 30- or 35-second shot clock.

The mandate only exists at the varsity level, but schools can also use them at lower levels if both schools agree to it. The shot clock will be 35 seconds.

In May, the NFHS urged the adoption of a shot clock across high school basketball with Rule 2-14 which states that each state association may adopt a shot lock beginning in the 2022-23 season — according to guidelines outlined in the Basketball Rules Book — to encourage standardization among states.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2021, 09:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Maverick ...

Minnesota is a real maverick.

Besides a shot clock, I also believe that they use a restricted area, play in halves, the home team wears dark jerseys, and they're sticking to the "punch" signal.

Nevadaref's post also confirms that all three states that border Connecticut use shot clocks.

Connecticut is completely surrounded.

We can't hold out much longer.

It's only a matter of time for us.

Please send help.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 07, 2021 at 12:36pm.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2021, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The Minnesota State High School League's Board of Directors unanimously approved a motion on Thursday to mandate the implementation of a shot clock at the varsity levels of boys and girls basketball, starting with the 2023-24 varsity season.

Minnesota joins California, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Washington as the only states to use a 30- or 35-second shot clock.

The mandate only exists at the varsity level, but schools can also use them at lower levels if both schools agree to it. The shot clock will be 35 seconds.

In May, the NFHS urged the adoption of a shot clock across high school basketball with Rule 2-14 which states that each state association may adopt a shot lock beginning in the 2022-23 season — according to guidelines outlined in the Basketball Rules Book — to encourage standardization among states.
Awesome! By the way, Iowa also adopted the shot clock, which will be implemented in 2022-23.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2021, 12:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unstoppable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Awesome!
Be careful what you wish for. It may come true.

See The Monkey's Paw (W. W. Jacobs, 1902).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Quote:
Iowa also adopted the shot clock ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 07, 2021 at 12:49pm.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2021, 01:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Awesome! By the way, Iowa also adopted the shot clock, which will be implemented in 2022-23.
You obviously didn't see my post about HS shot clocks in the NCAA thread.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2021, 01:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smokey Robinson And The Miracles, 1967 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You obviously didn't see my post about HS shot clocks in the NCAA thread.
I second the motion.

In states where shot clocks are only used in varsity games, the "step up the ladder" from middle school, freshman, and junior varsity games to varsity games will be enormous, especially in a two person state like Connecticut, where only one person in the varsity crew could have any real game shot clock experience.

Any progression "up the ladder" can be difficult, but at least (before shot clocks) the rules were the same at all levels, the games were very different, but the rules were the same, a travel in a freshman game is a travel in a varsity game, it's just that the varsity travel may be faster and harder to detect.

Working with a shot clock in a varsity game will be a whole new universe for officials on the way "up the ladder", especially with different table crews at different schools.

That's just my opinion. Some may say that the shot clock "step" is similar to the "step" in states that only have three person crews for varsity games, and not at lower levels, but there's no table crew to factor in for that "step", and as we all know, rules and mechanics are two completely different "animals".

Rumor has it that if, and when, Connecticut goes to a shot clock, it will probably be for all high school games, at all three levels.

While I'm not a big fan of high school shot clocks, if one is going to go with shot clocks, going at all high school levels is the way to go, getting young officials, and young players, ready for the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NCAA seems to have many nuances regarding shot clock rules that appear to go beyond simply giving a team about a half a minute to hit the rim after a change of possession. Frontcourt or backcourt. Less time in period than on shot clock. Sometimes resets to 20 seconds. Kicking or punching violations. Legally touched inbounds. Missed free throw is controlled. Held ball (not the same when offensive or defensive team has alternating possession arrow) ... Makes me hope that if Connecticut goes to a high school shot clock that the shot clock rules are as simple as possible.
I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly to get up on his soap box and give us his "abomination" rant. I'm waiting with bated breath.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 07, 2021 at 03:02pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 10:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Keystone State ...

I have it on good authority that Pennsylvania is going to the shot clock next year.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 10:48am
Do not give a damn!!

This was some information that we were sent this week from the IHSA.

Quote:
The Board discussed the implementation of a shot clock in varsity boys and girls basketball. The NFHS will allow for the usage of a shot clock beginning in 2022-23. The IHSA held discussions and surveyed member school administrators on the shot clock at Town Hall meetings in November. The survey results, based on 600 schools responding (Last year, 649 IHSA schools participated in boys basketball and 608 in girls basketball), were as follows:

❖ Nineteen percent (19%) of the respondees supported implementing the shot clock in 2022-23.

❖ Forty-seven percent (47%) of the respondees supported using the shot clock experimentally at regular-season tournaments in 2022-23.

❖ Fifty-four percent (54%) of the respondees supported the Board developing a timeline to implement the shot clock in the future.

The Basketball Advisory Committee will review the survey information in April. The Board will discuss the shot clock again at their meeting in June, where they are expected to take action to provide further direction on a shot clock plan
Not sure where this is going, but this is some preliminary information.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thjanks ilyazhito ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This was some information that we were sent this week from the IHSA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1045532
IHSA is Illinois. Indiana is the IHSAA, Iowa is IHSAA for boys and IGHSAU for girls, and Idaho is also the IHSAA.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting that the Illinois survey results that were published did not include the percentage of respondents that did not want a shot clock at all. That be some survey bias!

I did a private school tourney this weekend in which a 30-second shot clock was used. I don’t know why they bothered. It only got below 10 seconds twice the whole game, with zero violations. I did have to address resets several times though, as the shot clock operator was simultaneously the timer (bad plan).

Maybe your mileage will vary, but in Virginia, there are few quality offensive sets, so the shot clock remains an unnecessary gimmick. I’m glad we’re not in a hurry to implement it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 17, 2021, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have it on good authority that Pennsylvania is going to the shot clock next year.
Who told you this? I need to know. Where are you getting your information from? Who does number 2 work for?!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2021, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Seemed Reliable ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
Who told you this? I need to know. Where are you getting your information from?
Greg Austin's Better Official You Tube "live" presentation.

I can't confirm on the internet. Sorry that I startled you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 17, 2021 at 12:01pm.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if it was this week or last, I must've tuned out during that conversation.
LOL. I'm not scared. You woke me up from my 2 year nap/hiatus from the site!

Either way, I didn't think we (PA) would see the shot clock under the current administration. But things change and talking heads, so....

My fears echo most of yours from the previous posts. The jump from sub level to varsity would increase drastically if they chose to only implement it at the varsity level. In my district we're all 3 man for varsity, but that's not state-wide and from my stint in Women's NCAA, I know that there are plenty of shot clock issues even at the D2 level, and especially down to the D3 and JUCO levels...both on the operator and the official's side.

I can think of better ways to better the HS game. The shot clock rules aren't overly impossible as a ref and an operator, but they can certainly increase the amount of stoppages due to stop/start/restart issues when the idea is to have the game sped up.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2021, 12:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Live Chat ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
Well if it was this week or last, I must've tuned out during that conversation.
I can't remember if it was actually read by Greg in the live stream, or just mentioned in the live chat, but I do remember that it was a "regular" live stream participant whom I thought to be reliable.

Of course, Abraham Lincoln used to say to not believe everything that one sees on You Tube. I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

June 10, 2021: https://news.yahoo.com/clock-piaa-di...100000199.html

I can't find anything newer from the past six months.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 19, 2021 at 02:02pm.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2021, 11:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Interesting that the Illinois survey results that were published did not include the percentage of respondents that did not want a shot clock at all. That be some survey bias!
Well considering that the rule has been passed at the NF, it really only matters who supports the change and when. And it is clear that this is an uphill battle to bring this in if you know anything about the state or the position of coaches. I got from this that there is not much overall support for next year and might be harder without some cajoling like using it in tournaments.

Peace