The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Precision Time in NCAAs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105685-precision-time-ncaas.html)

Matt S. Thu Mar 17, 2022 09:09pm

Precision Time in NCAAs

Does anyone know why they are no longer using Precision Time in the NCAA tournament? It would certainly save some of the incessant trips to the monitor at the end of each game!

Raymond Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:28pm

There have actually been many years precision timing wasn't used.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Fri Mar 18, 2022 06:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 1047571)
Does anyone know why they are no longer using Precision Time in the NCAA tournament? It would certainly save some of the incessant trips to the monitor at the end of each game!

Other than perhaps the "bubble yea," I don't think it's been used for many years (maybe never). The questions comes up every year.

Has to do with licensing, the fact that some arenas might not have the equipment installed, etc.

Could they change it? -- sure. Why they don't is way above my paygrade.

Matt S. Fri Mar 18, 2022 09:10am

Facts

It was used from 2015-2019. JD Collins wanted it...

https://www.goshennews.com/sports/na...60d3a57e5.html

bob jenkins Fri Mar 18, 2022 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 1047583)
It was used from 2015-2019. JD Collins wanted it...

https://www.goshennews.com/sports/na...60d3a57e5.html

Can't read the article but thanks for the update / correction.

Kansas Ref Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:34pm

Regarding "shot clocks" I was curious why 35 seconds instead of 30 or 40 seconds? And on the various resets like out of bounds kick by defense or offensive rebounds why does it reset to a specific seconds like 14 or 20 instead of 15 or 25 seconds? And why the symbol mechanic for "patting on top of your head" to signal its expiry?
Are these just arbitrary values or were they derived from objective surveys?

ilyazhito Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:03am

NFHS chose 35 for 2 reasons, because they wanted to be different from college basketball, and because college rule changes take time to trickle down to NFHS. They went with the old college values.

Patting the head was an informal end-of-period signal, so when the shot clock came in existence, the rules makers chose to give it formal status as the shot clock singal. Note: in FIBA, officials tap the shoulder instead to signal a shot clock violation.

The secondary value was derived, at least for the 24 and 30 second shot clocks, with a subtraction from the full value to account for the 10-second count. Back when it was a 35/15 shot clock, 15 was somewhat arbitrary. However, later it became more systematic. I suspect NFHS will use 25 as the secondary reset once the 10-second count gets pegged to the shot clock.

BillyMac Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:03am

10-Second Count ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1047868)
I suspect NFHS ... once the 10-second count gets pegged to the shot clock.

It already is:

NFHS Officials' General Duties: Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count.

BillyMac Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:29am

Ancient Times ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1047868)
Patting the head was an informal end-of-period signal ...

In ancient times, before IAABO (can't speak for NFHS signals) came up with an "approved" signal between partners to prevent heart attacks when end of period horns surprise both of them, patting one's head was, indeed, one of a few "unapproved" period-soon-ending signals, and some were locally "dinged" on evaluations for using such. Other such "unapproved" period-soon-ending signals included lifting an arm and pretending to be pointing to a non-existent wrist watch (now one would probably pretend to be looking at a non-existent cell phone), using a finger twirling signal (like the hands on an analog clock), and pointing to the scoreboard.

IAABO presently has two "approved" period-soon-ending signals, pointing a finger in the air to indicate less than a minute, and patting one's chest to indicate, "I've got last second shot".

JRutledge Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047870)
It already is:

NFHS Officials' General Duties: Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count.

Still needs to tell us how to use it or change some rules. The NCAA rule the shot clock starts with any touch of by any player that is legal. Not the case at this point with the NF. The 10-second count is based on when TC starts. So I hope they either change the rule or come up with some situation where only the clock is used (which could be complicated).

Peace

BillyMac Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:37am

Ten Second Count Starts ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047872)
Still needs to tell us how to use it or change some rules. The NCAA rule the shot clock starts with any touch of by any player that is legal. Not the case at this point with the NF. The 10-second count is based on when TC starts ...

Agree 100%.

ilyazhito Thu Mar 31, 2022 02:45pm

I also agree. The shot clock and 10-second rules need to agree, now that the shot clock is more prevalent than before.

On another note, it seems that a precision timing system is being used in this year's tournament. It looks like officials are wearing belt packs, if you watch carefully. I don't know if it is PTS or Whistle Stop (a major competitor), but it certainly bears investigating.

Robert Goodman Thu Mar 31, 2022 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047871)
IAABO presently has two "approved" period-soon-ending signals, pointing a finger in the air to indicate less than a minute,

Ha, like the 1-minute flag in Canadian football.

BillyMac Thu Mar 31, 2022 05:26pm

You're Number Two ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1047875)
Ha, like the 1-minute flag in Canadian football.

Not a big fan of polite, boring, poutine eating, maple syrup chugging, moose hunting, igloo building, maple leaf waving, hoser football.

I do like the, "O Canada", part. Always chokes me up when I go to a fight, I mean, a hockey game.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.n...=0&w=244&h=162