The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goaltending ??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105679-goaltending.html)

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 09:59am

Goaltending ???

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D5VRMvVUra0?start=6150" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:20am

Yes. It is really close, but it is on the way down.

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:25am

Noises ??? What Are Noises ???

Note the home team is called the "Noises", the only team in the country with that name. The school is located in the Moodus section of the town of East Haddam, CT.

Moodus Noises is the name given to an acoustic phenomenon that has plagued the citizens of the village of Moodus in the town of East Haddam for centuries. The Moodus Noises are strange rumblings, thunderings, and crashings that seem to originate somewhere around Mount Tom, a 300 foot tall hill of schist and granite near where the Salmon River (I kayak there all the time) and Moodus River meet. The noises come in clusters, occasionally in succession, often over a period of days, or months.

Native Americans called the area Machimoodus, which means “Place Of Bad Noises”. The area is now Machimoodus State Park. Settlers later shortened the name of the village to Moodus. The Wangunk tribe attributed the noises to a god named Hobbamock, who apparently was a restless, violent, and exceptionally noisy entity who controlled darkness, disease, and bad weather. A most treacherous and hideous being, Hobbamock lurks in the night-time shadows. Some people will not go out alone at night for fear of an encounter with this frightful fiend. He is the Native American bogeyman and the equal of the European devil. The medicine men tried to figure out the right combination of sacrifice and prayer to calm the angry god.

Connecticut is considered to be in a moderate seismic risk zone as defined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Although people tend to think of New England as rock-steady country, it is actually a region of moderate earthquake activity. While often not associated with the typical West-Coast imagery that comes with reports of earthquake activity, Connecticut has a surprisingly under-appreciated history of seismic disturbances and geologists now recognize Moodus as one of the most active earthquake zones in New England. The hard granite and metamorphic rocks in Connecticut can transmit seismic waves (and transmit sounds) up to forty times more efficiently than the soft rock and sand in California.

It is currently thought that the Eastford Fault is the main fault that is responsible for the Moodus noises; it is mapped just north of Machimoodus State Park.

Note that there will be a quiz on this.

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:27am

Backboard ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1047458)
Yes. It is really close, but it is on the way down.

I think that I agree. Did the ball come off the backboard, or was it a direct shot?

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:30am

Up Or Down ???

I saw three layup (hit backboard first) goaltends last week while observing my friends (this game was not officiated by my local guys, only the road team is from our local area. "Local guys" can only work state tournament games where neither team is from our local area, or both teams are from our local area).

Two I agreed with.

The third I was watching for contact and didn't see the goaltend. I asked the calling official (top notch guy) about it, specifically if the ball was going down. He replied that he wasn't sure, he just called it because the ball hit the backboard (the NCAA rule, even though he knew the NFHS difference). None of the offending team fans complained, because fans (and coaches) don't know the difference between the NCAA and NFHS rule.

Love the ignorant fan in the video yelling, "How can you see that from back there?", because it's the trail's call 99% of the time in a two person game.

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:32am

Backboard Nothing To Do With Goaltending ...

From my Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules list:

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up immediately after it contacts the backboard, and in this situation it is legal for a defender to touch the ball if it is not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket.

bob jenkins Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047459)
Note the home team is called the "Noises",

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047460)
I think that I agree. Did the ball come off the backboard, or was it a direct shot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047461)
I saw three layup (hit backboard first) goaltends last week while observing my friends (this game was not officiated by my local guys). Two I agreed with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047462)
From my Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules list:

[/I]

I'd respond to the OP, but I don't want to interrupt the conversation.

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:46am

I'm So Excited (The Pointer Sisters, 1982) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1047463)
I'd respond to the OP, but I don't want to interrupt the conversation.

Sorry, I just got so excited seeing Connecticut officiating in a national conversation (the video was on My Space).

Also thought I'd give a "mascot" explanation to you earthquake buffs. We do have earthquake buffs here on the Forum? Right?

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.R...=0&w=238&h=165

tnolan Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29am

This would be a good FPF play to submit.

This appears to be a good block, so I would say call incorrect.
GT and BI calls can be very close during live play.
We need 110% knowledge that it is or isn't.

Feel like the coach's actions should've been addressed as well...now that could've made the end of the game really interesting.

Raymond Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:47am

Two-man crew, nobody can complain about a goaltending call on a fast break.

I don't care about any school's mascot or earthquakes in a certain state.

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:03pm

If You're Not Sure, Don't Call It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnolan (Post 1047468)
We need 110% knowledge that it is or isn't.

Don't really need 100% knowledge that it isn't (that would just be a bonus).

We only need 100% knowledge that it is, if not, it isn't.

JRutledge Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:10pm

Slowed this down and it was not a GT at all. It was on its way up and could make a case the ball is never above the rim.

The only question I have is did the lead make this call? Other than that, this is 2 man, shame on the schools for allowing that to happen and then complain about a tough call like that one.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:18pm

Also as I watch this video. Why is the coach on the floor in both cases and it seems like no one sends him back? He is out there for a long time. You on the court like that, if you do not immediately go back (and the call is in your favor), there might be a T coming. Don't care the situation, get off the damn court. I hope there was at the very least a bench warning.

And finally, get off the damn court. No way in hell I am still on the court and the game is clearly over. Not taking my time. They do not give out candy after the game.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:38pm

Lead's Foul Call ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047471)
The only question I have is did the lead make this call?

Lead, not hearing his partner's whistle for the goaltending violation, called a foul (fist signal) on Red #1 after White #4 snagged the rebound off the missed shot. Ball was already dead when he made the (non-intentional) foul call.

JRutledge Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047473)
Lead, not hearing his partner's whistle for the goaltending violation, called a foul (fist signal) on Red #1 after White #4 snagged the rebound off the missed shot. Ball was already dead when he made the (non-intentional) foul call.

Well, that makes a little more sense, but I hate the body language of the trail if he is calling such a big play. Not about if he is right or not, standing back at the division line and almost never going to the table in the moment gives doubt to the call. Yes even in 2 person.

Peace