The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How About A Nice Hawaiian Punch ??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105675-how-about-nice-hawaiian-punch.html)

BillyMac Wed Mar 09, 2022 03:19pm

How About A Nice Hawaiian Punch ???

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jvOu_sLnypQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raymond Wed Mar 09, 2022 04:06pm

Don't know how this would not have gotten a monitor review.

Jfpdi Wed Mar 09, 2022 08:11pm

Dad said it was inadvertent contact. His son got pushed twice and you can't let em get away with that.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 09, 2022 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1047416)
Don't know how this would not have gotten a monitor review.

Do we know that it didn't (I know nothing of this story except the video on here)? In NCAAW, a coach can request such a review -- is that the case in NCAAM?

Raymond Wed Mar 09, 2022 09:46pm

Rule 11-2-1.d.4. A coach may request a monitor review to determine if any flagrant 2 contact foul occurred. When a flagrant 1 or 2 contact foul or contact dead ball technical foul is not assessed, a timeout shall be charged to that team.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crosscountry55 Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1047421)
Rule 11-2-1.b.4. A coach may request a monitor review to determine if any flagrant 2 contact foul occurred. When a flagrant 1 or 2 contact foul or contact dead ball technical foul is not assessed, a timeout shall be charged to that team.

What’s the time limit on that request? Same as a CE?

Agree, I’m surprised there wasn’t a review. I’m wondering if maybe it wasn’t so stealthy that no one really grasped the severity until it was too late?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1047423)

Agree, I’m surprised there wasn’t a review. I’m wondering if maybe it wasn’t so stealthy that no one really grasped the severity until it was too late?

11-2-1.d.2
a. When the game clock was stopped, it must be corrected:
1. During the first dead ball after the clock was properly started.

b. When the game clock was running, it must be corrected:
1. During the first dead ball after the clock was properly stopped; or
2. Before the second live ball when the ball became dead after a successful goal but the clock continued to run.

Raymond Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1047423)

I would think the officials would have stopped play if they were on offense. Then the player can tell the coach, "hey I was punched".

jmwking Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:14pm

Jay Bilas weighs in: :eek:

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/...8525209636866?

JRutledge Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:22pm

The conference can do whatever the hell they wish when it comes to the conduct of their players. I like the decision and with all the cameras around, he should have known better.

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Mar 10, 2022 04:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmwking (Post 1047426)

He couldn't be more wrong (not unusual). They can't go back and change the game that was just played, but he seems to forget that there are also conference rules that allow the conference to administer punishments beyond the game for egregious acts. This is an egregious act and the suspension is absolutely warranted.

ilyazhito Thu Mar 10, 2022 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1047428)
He couldn't be more wrong (not unusual). They can't go back and change the game that was just played, but he seems to forget that there are also conference rules that allow the conference to administer punishments beyond the game for egregious acts. This is an egregious act and the suspension is absolutely warranted.

#CancelJayBilas His nonsense has gone on long enough. It's time for NCAA basketball broadcasts to feature (ex)-officials, who actually know the rules and will be able to explain them coherently.

Raymond Fri Mar 11, 2022 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047427)
The conference can do whatever the hell they wish when it comes to the conduct of their players. I like the decision and with all the cameras around, he should have known better.

Peace

I so wish they would have reviewed in-game and deemed it an F2 for fighting. Then he would have been suspended and none of this Boeheim/Bilas whining would be relevant.

Rule 10 Section 5. Suspensions for Fighting
Art. 1. A fight is a flagrant 2 foul.
Art. 2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is used to combatively strike the other individual.
Art. 3. When, during a confrontation, an individual attempts to strike another individual with any of the actions defined in Art. 2, whether there is contact is irrelevant. The perpetrator shall be deemed to have been involved in a fight.
Art. 8. Anytime an individual uses a closed fist in an unsportsmanlike manner, it shall be deemed that the individual has initiated a fighting act and shall be penalized accordingly.
Art. 9. When any flagrant 2 foul is ruled to be a fight, the fighting penalty shall be invoked.
Art. 11. The first time an individual participates in a fight during the season (including exhibition games), the individual shall be suspended from participating in the team’s next regular-season game (not an exhibition contest), including tournament competition.