The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game Film Access (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105664-game-film-access.html)

tnolan Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:06pm

Game Film Access

Does anyone's state/chapter/association have a good system for "automatic access" or communal access to game film?

For NCAA, Synergy was amazing. As long as the staff had uploaded the film in a timely fashion, you had access to your game within a day. The other nice thing about Synergy was that you had access to all the games, at every level, for every school. However, I understand that the NCAA has many more resources than the NFHS or our local high schools.

Most high schools here use HUDL. Getting access to the film often times will involve reaching out to the AD or coach (if you can find their info) and then going through the ringer of the technologically challenged issues or otherwise string of email questions before finally getting the link...
"I don't know how to share it"
"I don't think I can share it"
"We don't use HUDL"
"Why do you want our game film?" (my favorite)
"I'll send it to you when the season ends"
*Once I had a coach snail mail me DVD of his game, and then after a few days, ask for it back, as it was their only copy* LOL

Our Officials' rep does have a HUDL account and the ability to see all the games, if the school uses it...but is unable to share (to my knowledge).

Ideally, I want a system that functions in one or two ways:

1. Within a day or two, every crew is "automatically" emailed the HUDL link to their game film. After that, what you choose to do with your film is up to you. If you are reviewing the film to improve, great. If not, then that's on you. But at least it is being distributed and available. And maybe then, we can get into the discussion of reviewing with evaluation for accountability purposes...but that's a discussion for another thread entirely.

2. A Synergy or HUDL based pool of game film for the area or entire district. All games, from all schools are uploaded and available to this location and accessible to either anyone with an account (controlled) OR an administrator who can delegate access specifically and as needed.

My understanding is that the schools would need to get on board with this and for basketball they aren't for some reason. Our football officials in the area have a system, but it's been a while since I've discussed it. And for either of those systems to work, all schools would need to get on board. It's a shame that you can only get film from certain schools and not others, when everyone films their games some way or another...it's 2022!

I'm looking for suggestions or input or stories from everyone. I'd like to know how other areas handle game film regarding the above topics.

Thanks is advance.

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:38pm

Evaluation Committee ...

I personally know little about HUDL, other than our local evaluation committee just this season decided to use it to evaluate officials that are "difficult" (for many reasons, including schedule conflicts) to observe "live" (in person).

I also understand that many high schools in our local area don't use HUDL.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Also, due to COVID limitations on fans the past two seasons, many high school games, even a few middle school games, were live streamed and recorded for access to all on various platforms (often school system based).

Tax-paying parents want to see their kids play basketball and seeing their kids online is better than not seeing them at all.

I hope that this continues post-COVID.

It was nice to see myself in a middle school video. I'm certainly more handsome with a mask than without a mask.

Raymond Wed Mar 02, 2022 01:57pm

There are a lot of public schools who participate in the NFHS streaming service.

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 02:03pm

What's HUDL ???

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8gXhZs3ILUQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The artificial intelligence is amazing. Install it, set it up, and walk away. No camera operators. The camera follows the action. Don't even have to turn it on and off, schools could just load the game schedule into the smart phone application.

Back in the late 1960's, I remember my high school physics teacher (and baseball coach), Mr. Letize, who also worked part-time at Radio Shack, setting up a gigantic, heavy, complicated, black and white, reel to reel videotape setup (with an equally gigantic and cumbersome camera) to record our basketball games.

We all thought that these videotaped games were so cool and modern.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.0...=0&w=172&h=172

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 02:18pm

NFHS Streaming ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1047229)
There are a lot of public schools who participate in the NFHS streaming service.

Just checked for all of Connecticut and for my local area.

Raymond's right.

JRutledge Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:01pm

Our area developed a system to provide video to officials through HUDL based on the association's accounts to be sent to member officials of different associations. What that means is we have a point person in each association to ask video of each game you work based on your request. Then the coaches agree to provide the video if they have access and it can be reviewed. We have an association of associations called Inter Athletic Council of Officials, which is several local associations that work together for training. So if I am a member of one of the associations that is an IACO member, they can provide me the video of games I request. Again this is not automatic, we have to ask for the video and some coaches either do not have video or they do not provide the video for different reasons.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:07pm

Cost ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047232)
Our area developed a system to provide video to officials through HUDL based ...

Is there a cost to the officials, the official's association, or the association of associations?

JRutledge Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047233)
Is there a cost to the officials, the official's association, or the association of associations?

Nope, it is an expense from IACO that gives accounts to the LOA. And all we have to do is be a member of a particular organization and contact the HUDL administrator.

Similar to college where being a member allows you the same kind of access.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:25pm

Gotta Sleep Sometime ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047233)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047234)
Nope, it is an expense from IACO that gives accounts to the LOA ...

You guys seem to be way ahead of the curve (compared to Connecticut).

Quote:

... this is not automatic, we have to ask for the video and some coaches either do not have video or they do not provide the video for different reasons.

Not a problem. If I had a full time day job, and was raising a family, I wouldn't have time to watch all my games, especially during the basketball season.

Had the same problem when I was coaching middle school basketball. We had an amazing audio visual coordinator who was willing to get all of our home games videotaped.

Videotape was an amazing educational tool, however, it came down to choosing videotape sessions, or on-court practice (with limited access to the gym, only weekday afternoons, no night (town activities), no weekends (town activities).

On-court practice was a higher priority. Only time for a few videotape sessions each season.

JRutledge Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047236)

Not a problem. If I had a full time day job, and was raising a family, I wouldn't have time to watch all my games, especially during the basketball season.

You spend a lot of time on this site, I doubt that is the case. Also watching video is not always about just watching an entire game. You can look for the plays you had difficult calls or contested calls and look to see what you do. High school games are not that long either. Like watching a sitcom. Either way if you spend the time on this site you do, you could watch video of a game. And there are games we do not get sometimes.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:37pm

Empty Nester ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1047237)
You spend a lot of time on this site, I doubt that is the case.

I would absolutely take advantage of all video today. Fully retired from my day job. Single with adult children out of the house (all out of town/state). Just me, the cat, my backyard chickens, and church.

No way I would have time while teaching, coaching, part-time bartender, officiating (including recreation, travel, etc.), graduate school, wife, parents, in-laws, raising three kids, all their sports/activities, etc.

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:55pm

Fortune Teller ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047238)
No way I would have time while teaching, coaching, part-time bartender, officiating (including recreation, travel, etc.), graduate school, wife, parents, in-laws, raising three kids, all their sports/activities, etc.

One day, while frantically rushing out school to attend one of my kids many high school games (three kids, three seasons), I had a chat with another teacher, older than me, who had kids who also played high school sports.

He said, "Someday you are going to miss all of this".

He was 100% correct.

tnolan Wed Mar 02, 2022 03:58pm

@JRut you've exceeded the use of 'associations' for this month.

This sounds like what should or could be done here, but is not. The automatic portion may get a bit "spammy" after a while and if you're working 5-6 games a week, you might not be able to catch up...and understandably, I don't need to break down every game. Sometimes there's just nothing to clip.
This is why I think a better option would be a datastore of all the games, accessible to whomever wants them, but only admins and the specific crew.

I would definitely entertain the idea of being the administrator of the video share if it came down to that. Again, I think getting the schools on board is probably the hardest part. After that, if 10 out of 100 officials actually use and access the video...then that is what it is.

@JRut I could be misinterpreting, but it sounds like you're jumping through a lot of hoops and red tape to get film. So does the IACO have access to all of this film for their "global" training, and then as a benefit provide it to you upon request?

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 04:08pm

Hard To Beat ...

Quote:

We have an association of associations ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnolan (Post 1047240)
... JRut you've exceeded the use of 'associations' for this month ...

I know that it's early in the month, but this is my nomination for Post O' The Month.

BillyMac Wed Mar 02, 2022 04:25pm

I Won't Dance, Don't Ask Me (Fred Astaire, 1933)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047238)
... raising three kids, all their sports/activities, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1047239)
He said, "Someday you are going to miss all of this".

Don't miss dance. Not one bit. Not for one second. Dance was the absolute worst. Expensive dance lessons. Expensive dance shoes and apparel. Expensive recital costumes. Expensive recital tickets. Expensive recital flowers. Long boring recitals (of course, my daughters weren't boring, they danced like Ginger Rogers, just the other kids were boring).

One day, my daughter told me that she didn't want to dance anymore, and that she wanted to play basketball instead. I almost couldn't hide my joy. Took her down to town hall and signed her up for recreation basketball. Cost me twenty bucks for the entire season.

Recreation. Travel. Middle school. High school. AAU (tournament in Spain). Played until her senior year, and then joined her friends in drama club. The dance lessons finally paid off. Best high school version of Les Misérables ever. Daughter deserved a Tony Award for a breath taking performance as an unnamed French peasant woman (holding kindling) in the chorus. She was robbed.