The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Juwan Howard Tech for picking up a live ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105649-juwan-howard-tech-picking-up-live-ball.html)

kzooref Fri Feb 18, 2022 01:38pm

Juwan Howard Tech for picking up a live ball

I am not questioning the college rule but what would have happened if that incident in the Michigan/Iowa game last night was NFHS? For those that did not see, a ball hit a foot and rolled all the way into the backcourt near the Michigan bench and was picked up by Juwan. He immediately realized his innocent mistake thinking he was helping move the game long and forgot ball was still live. He was assessed a class B technical foul?

In high school I would think this could fall under unsporting but given the innocence here, and no advantage gained, I would likely have just given the ball to Iowa at the spot of the "infraction."

Thoughts?

bob jenkins Fri Feb 18, 2022 01:39pm

2-3

BillyMac Fri Feb 18, 2022 01:56pm

Juwan Howard ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jyd53EgOMJM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SC Official Fri Feb 18, 2022 02:16pm

They called it a Class B (he already had a Class A so a second one would have been an ejection), probably using this rule:

“Art. 2. A technical foul shall be assessed to a coach and/or all bench personnel for the following infractions:

h. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play, such as bench personnel entering the playing court before player activity has been terminated. In such a case, when the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored;”

Excerpt From
2021-22 and 2022-23 Men's Basketball Rules
This material may be protected by copyright.

Raymond Fri Feb 18, 2022 02:17pm

I'm wondering what Class B infraction that fell under as opposed to being a Class A.

kzooref Fri Feb 18, 2022 02:39pm

So NFHS??

Most are talking about what class B is and I am asking about high school rule. Bob I agree with 2-3 here and that seems to give me much leeway. If coach is pissed and does this intentionally or to prevent a break or something then that is obvious. This was innocent so I have nothing.

crosscountry55 Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:54pm

I think the crew handled it well with the rules leeway they had. My only question was where the POI was. White still had team control, so it makes sense that they got the ball back, but should the throw-in have been from the backcourt where the ball became dead? Seems like it was administered from the frontcourt.

BillyMac Sat Feb 19, 2022 09:45am

High School Rules ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1046999)
My only question was where the POI was. White still had team control, so it makes sense that they got the ball back, but should the throw-in have been from the backcourt where the ball became dead? Seems like it was administered from the frontcourt.

NFHS 4-4-3: A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court.

Of course, it would be an opposite table division line throwin after a technical foul in NFHS rules.

Nevadaref Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzooref (Post 1046983)
I am not questioning the college rule but what would have happened if that incident in the Michigan/Iowa game last night was NFHS? For those that did not see, a ball hit a foot and rolled all the way into the backcourt near the Michigan bench and was picked up by Juwan. He immediately realized his innocent mistake thinking he was helping move the game long and forgot ball was still live. He was assessed a class B technical foul?

In high school I would think this could fall under unsporting but given the innocence here, and no advantage gained, I would likely have just given the ball to Iowa at the spot of the "infraction."

Thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzooref (Post 1046991)
Most are talking about what class B is and I am asking about high school rule. Bob I agree with 2-3 here and that seems to give me much leeway. If coach is pissed and does this intentionally or to prevent a break or something then that is obvious. This was innocent so I have nothing.

The NFHS rules clearly cover this, so invoking 2-3 is not an option.
10-5-2 governs this situation. “… Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: … Enter the court unless by permission of an official to attend an injured player.”
The penalty is a direct technical foul charged to the offending individual. (And an indirect technical foul to the HC, if he was not the offender.)

ilyazhito Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:40am

If this was an NFHS game, and a coach had 1 technical foul before, sayōnara. By rule, this is a direct technical foul.

SC Official Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1046988)
I'm wondering what Class B infraction that fell under as opposed to being a Class A.

Hate to be a skeptic, but if he hadn’t already gotten a Class A in the first half – I’d bet they would have given him a Class A here. They knew they had to call something but didn’t want to eject him. I cited the rules reference above that would only remotely back up a Class B, and I think that’s quite a stretch.

I suspect we will see this clarified next year.