The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2022, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Showing members' film at meetings

With the proliferation of technology in recent years -- and COVID's acceleration of schools/teams streaming their games -- the availability of quality video of many high school games has never been greater.

There is so much that can be taught and learned from this video (the good and the bad). I'm just wondering if any of your boards show video of members' games at your meetings.

The obvious concern that I see is officials feeling singled out or alienated when clips featuring them are presented and dissected.

I would love to hear your experiences with this and how your boards have gone about executing/implementing this, if any of you have.

Thanks!
Old Sat Feb 12, 2022, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

It's for education, not embarrassment.

Show the big dogs making some mistakes in the first few clips.

Refer to the officials as L, C, T and not by name.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2022, 09:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Learn From Mistakes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
... officials feeling singled out or alienated when clips featuring them are presented and dissected ...
Felt odd at first, several years ago. I often felt embarrassed for my friends, outstanding officials who were shown making mistakes on such videos. Video has become so commonplace now that it's an accepted practice. We all make mistakes and we can all learn from the mistakes made by others and ourselves.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 13, 2022, 03:26am
Do not give a damn!!

If I am asked to do a presentation, I show any video that makes the point. I do not worry or care about who is involved. Many of my videos are of officials that would not even be in the room. But that is not my concern. I also show videos of things or games I was personally involved in as well, good or bad. I do not often mention the official's names anyway. If I do it might be if I talked to them about the play or situation. But I think we have to be able to know that if we do games, someone might have a copy of the events. We have to be big boys and girls about this. To me only embarrassment would be if you went on to rip the officials personally and talked about them and their competence. But just talking about a situation or a rule that applies, to me is really silly if you cannot handle a situation or a call you made for others to even see.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 13, 2022, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I seem to recall a few years ago the NCAA put out a training video that included still active players, and there was some concern that it disadvantaged those players.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2022, 02:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
I seem to recall a few years ago the NCAA put out a training video that included still active players, and there was some concern that it disadvantaged those players.
When would that have been? They put out current plays during the year all the time. Every weekly video is of current stuff and never heard anyone make that big of a deal out of it, at least up front.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 14, 2022, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'll echo a few others' thoughts here.
Video is the ultimate learning tool, especially for us officials. I think that even if a disclaimer needs to be issued to the entire chapter, everyone does need to know that their video could possibly be accessed and shown for teaching purposes at meetings, etc...make it a part of your by-laws if needed.
With that being said, I feel it's always a good idea to reach out to any individual who may be featured as part of a topic for discussion, no matter the play/rule/scenario. That way, you can get their perspective on the play and not catch them off-guard when showing the video...even though they should expect it based on the aforementioned agreement.

I find that when critiquing/evaluating...it's always good to start with a positive and then stay positive and reinforce good tendencies.

At the end of the day, some people just can't take being on video or having their plays dissected. But this is how we get better. Good luck and if you need any video, don't be afraid to reach out.........to JRut! He's got all the videos!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2022, 02:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (Clint Eastwood, 1966) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
... it's always good to start with a positive and then stay positive and reinforce good tendencies.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)