The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2022, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

2022 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Part I – Checkup on present 2021-22 Rules – Were the following rules changes satisfactory?

1. Allowing member state associations to adopt a shot clock in which the team in control shall attempt a try for field goal within 35 seconds after gaining team control, effective with the 2022-23 season.

2. Allowing players to wear head coverings that fit securely and are made of non-abrasive or soft materials for religious reasons while continuing to require state association approval for head coverings worn for medical reasons.

3. Approving the use of one signal for player-control and team-control fouls.

Part II – Observations – Have you observed any of the following this year?

1. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by fans toward officials.

2. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by coaches toward officials.

3. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by players toward officials.

4. Coaches repeatedly standing outside of the coaching box during play.

5. An increase in physicality within the game.

6. Time-outs granted without player control.

7. An increase in traveling calls.

8. A decrease in contact during post play.

9. Proper enforcement by officials of uniform and team member equipment and apparel rules (including arm sleeves, wristbands, headbands, etc.).

Part III – About the rules for 2022-23 – Would you favor?

1. Changing from four quarters of eight minutes to two 16-minute halves.

2. Requiring the torso color of home team jerseys to be a dark school color and away team jerseys to be white.

3. Resetting team fouls at the end of each quarter and eliminating the one-and-one bonus.

4. Administering all frontcourt throw-ins that are the result of a foul or violation from four designated spots. (This does not include out-of-bounds situations.)

5. Requiring shot clocks (if used) to be visible on both sides of the court and not requiring the clocks to be recessed and mounted on the backboard.

6. Turning off the shot clock (if used) when the mercy rule is in effect in states that have mercy rules.

7. Eliminating the 10-second backcourt violation for girls basketball in states that utilize the shot clock.

8. Eliminating the jump ball to begin each extra period and utilizing the possession arrow to determine team possession.

9. Eliminating the provision that game officials may rule fouls on either team for unruly behavior of spectators while maintaining that officials may suspend the contest until host management resolves any spectator situation.

10. Allowing players to wear beads and/or similar hair adornments that are securely fastened provided they do not present a safety hazard to the player, teammates or opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Eliminating the 10-second backcourt violation for girls basketball in states that utilize the shot clock.
Gender based. Interesting.

Would this be the only gender based NFHS rule other than the size of the basketball?
Quote:
Eliminating the jump ball to begin each extra period and utilizing the possession arrow to determine team possession.
... and also eliminate the jump ball to start the game. Give the ball to the visitors to start the game.
Quote:
Requiring the torso color of home team jerseys to be a dark school color and away team jerseys to be white.
Why? Just because a few states (i.e, Minnesota) already do this?
Quote:
Allowing players to wear beads and/or similar hair adornments that are securely fastened provided they do not present a safety hazard to the player, teammates or opponents.
Why? Take away a binary (allowed/not allowed) objective safety issue and make it subjective to the whims of states, local boards, or (worst) individual officials?

"The hair isn't very long."

"The beads aren't near the ends of the hair."

"There aren't a lot of beads."

"The hair is too long for beads."

"The beads are near the ends of the hair."

"There are a lot of beads."
Quote:
Eliminating the provision that game officials may rule fouls on either team for unruly behavior of spectators while maintaining that officials may suspend the contest until host management resolves any spectator situation.
Takes away a seldom, if ever used (never used by me, never observed it used), use with extreme caution, tool, but nevertheless a tool?

Like the second part (officials may suspend the contest until host management resolves any spectator situation).

Not NFHS, but college, isn't there a college team that takes a team technical every year when their home spectators toss toilet paper onto the court at first home game home basket?

Tradition is to stand until the first UCONN basket at all men's home games. Sometime it's a long, long wait. Standing should be only for student fans. I just want to sit down, drink my beer, and enjoy the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 19, 2022 at 11:53am.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2022, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Bring back the punch!

Questionnaire felt odd this year....

Quote:
2022 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

3. Approving the use of one signal for player-control and team-control fouls.

NO! #bringbackthepunch #longlivethepunch #punch2022 #punchesforharambe

Part II – Observations – Have you observed any of the following this year?

1. An increase in unsporting or confrontational behavior by fans toward officials.

Seemingly...

Part III – About the rules for 2022-23 – Would you favor?.

3. Resetting team fouls at the end of each quarter and eliminating the one-and-one bonus.

Actually very much in favor of this one.

7. Eliminating the 10-second backcourt violation for girls basketball in states that utilize the shot clock.

I had to read this twice to make sure. This is strange.

2. Requiring the torso color of home team jerseys to be a dark school color and away team jerseys to be white.

10. Allowing players to wear beads and/or similar hair adornments that are securely fastened provided they do not present a safety hazard to the player, teammates or opponents.

I'd love to be at this table for this meeting. Seems like they've run out of things to talk about and the weird cross-eyed guy in the corner just starts shouting out wacky ideas. "Guys! What if we switched the jersey colors for home and away and let everyone wear beads in their hair?! That will surely fix the current state of the game and produce more scoring!"

Old Tue Feb 08, 2022, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fail To Impress Or Stimulate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
Questionnaire felt odd this year....
Underwhelming.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Feb 09, 2022, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Of all of the above, I'd be in favor of....

1. My state (IL) adopting a shot clock (we haven't yet)
2. Bringing back the punch signal for PC/TC fouls...the behind the head thing just looks awkward
3. 16 minute halves...
4. ...though if we're going to stay with quarters, let's eliminate the 6 foul limit and go with something closer to the NBA model.
5. Beads don't present much of a safety hazard, IMO.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2022, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don΄t Know Much Trigonometry (Sam Cooke, Wonderful World, 1960) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Beads don't present much of a safety hazard ...
With short hair, I can agree, but with very long hair, as the player turns their head, the speed of the beads increase with the (hair) length of the radius of the circle (forgot most of my high school trigonometry and physics, but I don't believe that it's only a linear increase). Beads being whipped around very quickly at "head height" have momentum (mass times velocity) and can easily cause eye injuries.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 10, 2022 at 07:21pm.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2022, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the "no 10 seconds in the backcourt for girls with shot clock" thing stems from an old NCAAW rule that was eliminated a few years ago. Some of the few states that have had a shot clock for years (RI comes to mind) kept this rule at the high school level. But it only made a shred of sense when you considered that the girls shot clock interval (30s) was less than the boys (35s). To bring this rule back into play when the shot clock intervals are the same for both genders makes absolutely no sense.

One thing RI still does for girls that I would like to see be made universal at the NFHS level if shot clocks are instituted is to eliminate the five second count when dribbling.

As for halves vs. quarters, I prefer halves, as long as the timeout limit isn't increased. I even wouldn't mind making the halves 18 minutes like WI (and MN?) do. I worked in WI a few years back and the games didn't feel any longer. Of course the pay didn't go up for the extra four minutes, but that's a whole different issue.

Speaking of pay, did anyone see the latest NFHS article about the state of HS officiating? All kinds of the same tired talk about attrition and the need to recruit and the effect of poor sportsmanship and the need for a cohesive national strategy, but not even the hint of a suggestion that 7% inflation and rising consumer costs for things like gas and equipment without commensurate increases in officiating pay is having an impact on retention. Nope, not happening. Nothing to see here. Just move along because that's something that upsets our member associations, so let's just not address it. Money is the easiest way to attract and retain talent (people spend $800 to go to D1 tryout camps for a reason), but....nah, let's not go there.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2022, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut Fees ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... not even the hint of a suggestion that 7% inflation and rising consumer costs for things like gas and equipment without commensurate increases in officiating pay is having an impact on retention.
Connecticut (CIAC) handles that by automatically increasing officials fees annually based on the average percentage pay increase for teachers across the entire state. Teacher unions (Some NEA, some NFT) in individual towns and cities hammer it out through negotiation, mediation, and binding arbitration (teacher strikes are illegal in Connecticut) and officials get the benefit of such.

We've been doing this for decades. No more annual negotiations in smoke filled back rooms.

Connecticut Basketball Game Fees for 2021-2022 Season: Varsity Fee: $101.69; Sub Varsity Fee: $65.99 (Junior Varsity, Freshmen, Middle Schools).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 19, 2022 at 12:26pm.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2022, 12:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Squares!! That's All I Was Asking For! Three Squares! ...

(Elaine Benes, Seinfeld, The Stall, 1994)

Quote:
... isn't there a college team that takes a team technical every year when their home spectators toss toilet paper onto the court at first home game home basket?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 19, 2022 at 12:08pm.