The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2022, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
My mentee had an interesting play in a D3 game last week.

H-73 V-71 w/0:06 left in game. V1 ends up driving to the basket from slot side. H2 slides over near RA to draw a charge. V1 elevates and releases shot barely prior to LED/horn. After releasing shot and after LED/horn, H1 crashes into V2. V2 was both in the RA and did not have an LGP, so no question as to it being a block. My mentee puts his fist up but never blows his whistle.

It was a rare situation where even if they had a monitor, it would have been free throws w/the lane cleared and 0:00 on the clock because we had an airborne shooter who had released the try before, but was fouled after, the expiration of time.

Good example. That is the rare situation where that would happen at levels above NFHS. I think it even happened in an NBA playoff game last spring (though in this case on a jump shot from the corner).

That situation notwithstanding, the percolation of the “gotta put some time back on” philosophy to the NFHS game—even without definite information—is something that annoys me. I agree with BM on this one. There’s no NFHS rules support for this, but even my own rules interpreter insists that there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 01, 2022, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Pure [speculation] here: those of us who remember "lag time" did not seem to have much of an issue adjusting to "definite knowledge" when it replaced "lag time" even though 5-6-2 Exception 3 still begins with, "If a foul occurs so near the expiration of time that the timer cannot get the clock stopped before time expires..."

Either that or it's 'contamination' from collegiate rules where they are allowed to put time back after video review under certain conditions. [/speculation]
"Definite Knowlege" existed with "Lag Time". The "Lag Time" provision just limited "Definite Knowledge" corrections to be no less than 1.0 seconds.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2022, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My mentee had an interesting play in a D3 game last week.

H-73 V-71 w/0:06 left in game. V1 ends up driving to the basket from slot side. H2 slides over near RA to draw a charge. V1 elevates and releases shot barely prior to LED/horn. After releasing shot and after LED/horn, H1 crashes into V2. V2 was both in the RA and did not have an LGP, so no question as to it being a block. My mentee puts his fist up but never blows his whistle.

It was a rare situation where even if they had a monitor, it would have been free throws w/the lane cleared and 0:00 on the clock because we had an airborne shooter who had released the try before, but was fouled after, the expiration of time.
And a perfect example showing that the idea that you must have time on the clock if you have foul with FTs is just not true.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

The related activity is reporting the foul. Since related activity for period 2 had not yet ended, intermission had not started, and the player who mouthed off is still a player. The technical foul and free throws are shot as part of the 3rd period, and Team B gets possession regardless of the arrow. The arrow is used for the next AP throw-in.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The related activity is reporting the foul. Since related activity for period 2 had not yet ended, intermission had not started, and the player who mouthed off is still a player. The technical foul and free throws are shot as part of the 3rd period, and Team B gets possession regardless of the arrow. The arrow is used for the next AP throw-in.

Reference?

Either way, the rest of your statement is again incorrect.

If period 2 has not ended, then the FTs are shot as part of period 2, there is no throw-in for the T and period 3 starts with the "normal" AP throw-in.

Or, period 2 has ended and period 3 starts with the FTs for the T and the throw-in for the T.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Related Activity ...

Quote:
... when did the quarter end ... after the foul is reported?
Quote:
The related activity is reporting the foul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Reference?
Interesting take on this situation (no free throws due to player control foul).

Worthy of further discussion?

Ball can't get deader than dead? Dead is dead? Right?

Seems pretty binary. Only two choices. Dead. Or live.

5-6 Exceptions:
2. If a held ball or violation occurs so near the expiration of time that the clock is not stopped before time expires, the quarter or extra period ends with the held ball or violation.
3. If a foul occurs so near the expiration of time that the timer cannot get the clock stopped before time expires or after time expires, but while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for field goal, the quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next, except when a correctable error, as in 2-10, is rectified.
4. If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the fourth quarter, provided there is to be an extra period.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 02, 2022 at 01:38pm.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 01:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Interesting take on this situation (no free throws due to player control foul).

End of 3rd Quarter. Airborne A1 releases try before horn, crashes into defender after horn. PCF is ruled. As Ref is reporting foul, which is A1's 5th, A1 yells out "that was bullsh!t".
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Interesting Turn ...

Quote:
End of 3rd Quarter. Airborne A1 releases try before horn, crashes into defender after horn. PCF is ruled. As Ref is reporting foul, which is A1's 5th, A1 yells out "that was bullsh!t".
"Dead" ball may have ended the third period.

Quote:
5-6 Exception 4: If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the fourth quarter, provided there is to be an extra period.
Raymond may be implying that the reporting of the foul, as well as the disqualification procedure, is "related activity" and thus, still part of the third period, and thus, the unsporting technical foul is also part of the third period.

Quote:
5-6 Exception 3: The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period.
This thread has taken a very interesting turn.

Quote:
Worthy of further discussion?
Yes, please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 02, 2022 at 02:25pm.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The related activity is reporting the foul.
No, it isn't. Reporting is a scorekeeping task, not a related activity. Related activities are things that occur in the game itself, not what the officials do. Related activity is anything that happens with the FTs, like a FT violation, or a timeout taken before the FTs are completed.

The moment the ball becomes dead and there are no FTs pending, the quarter is over and anything that happens is now part of the next quarter.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 07:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The moment the ball becomes dead and there are no FTs pending, the quarter is over and anything that happens is now part of the next quarter.
Nicely and simply stated. I agree, but others may not.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No, it isn't. Reporting is a scorekeeping task, not a related activity. Related activities are things that occur in the game itself, not what the officials do. Related activity is anything that happens with the FTs, like a FT violation, or a timeout taken before the FTs are completed.

Related activity is not defined in the rulebook, so either of us might be right. If the quarter is over, then by rule the players become bench personnel, and the coach would have to sit in the 3rd quarter, because all team members are bench personnel during an intermission. Do you want to go this route?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First, you have mixed your decision and its consequences. If you consider period 2 to not yet have ended, then the technical foul is part of that period and the penalty is administered during that quarter, not the next one, which would start normally with the AP arrow.

Secondly, I believe that the phrase “all related activity” applies to game action of the players, not anything that the officials or scorer/timer must do.

Consider a try released near the period sounding horn which enters the basket after the horn sounds. Is the official’s decision to count the goal part of that quarter? Perhaps this takes a moment or some discussion. What about the scorer needing to then record the points in the book? Or the clock/scoreboard operator putting the points on the board?

How would you handle an unsporting comment made by a team member or coach while the officials are discussing the try or the table crew has yet to record the result of it?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Related activity is not defined in the rulebook, so either of us might be right. If the quarter is over, then by rule the players become bench personnel, and the coach would have to sit in the 3rd quarter, because all team members are bench personnel during an intermission. Do you want to go this route?
For what it’s worth, I agree with Camron. Those of us who have been officiating much longer than you, have a better sense of what the NFHS means by certain phrases in the rules book. Of course, the veterans can be incorrect from time to time, but we definitely have more experience working with these rules and their language.

Yes, I would consider the player to now be bench personnel and assess an indirect to the HC as part of the penalty.

(Note: BillyMac, find the song reference in this post!)
Old Thu Feb 03, 2022, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Either of us might be right, sure. But, I can tell you it isn't you.

Once time is expired and there are no FTs left, yes, they're all bench personnel and everything that implies. So, yes, I want to go that route because that is the rule.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Feb 03, 2022 at 01:06am.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2022, 03:10am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
For what it’s worth,

(Note: BillyMac, find the song reference in this post!)
I'm quicker witted than BillyMac, and I didn't have to ask Google...

Buffalo Springfield!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_3..._channel=RHINO