The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   spot throw in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105569-spot-throw.html)

todd66 Tue Nov 30, 2021 04:24pm

spot throw in

Spot throw in. All five offensive players start OOB. The thrower receives the ball from official and the other 4 run onto the floor to receive the pass.

This would be a violation due to 9-2-11, correct?

If this was a non-designated spot throw in (after a made basket), they could do this, correct?

I remember this being done in a college game but believe it was after made basket and timeout.

I could not find anything on this in the current case book.

BillyMac Tue Nov 30, 2021 04:54pm

Throwin With Five Offensive Players Start Out Of Bounds ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd66 (Post 1045734)
Spot throw in. All five offensive players start OOB. The thrower receives the ball from official and the other 4 run onto the floor to receive the pass.

Violation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd66 (Post 1045734)
If this was a non-designated spot throw in (after a made basket), they could do this, correct?

Legal.

Matt S. Tue Nov 30, 2021 04:54pm

Correct

You are correct on all fronts with this.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 30, 2021 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 1045736)
You are correct on all fronts with this.

Agreed -- but the official probably shouldn't administer the throw-in with all players standing OOB.

Raymond Tue Nov 30, 2021 09:58pm

In regards to a spot throw-in, don't even administer the throw-in until all the players are legal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Wed Dec 01, 2021 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1045738)
In regards to a spot throw-in, don't even administer the throw-in until all the players are legal.

Upon what are you basing the official’s authority to not administer the throw-in?
Should the official be directing the four teammates to stand inbounds once the thrower is ready to receive the ball?
I’m legitimately asking because this isn’t a FT for which we have a specific case play stating to direct the defensive to fill the first two lane spaces, if they aren’t.
This is a throw-in for which we have the RPP to prevent the game from being delayed.

Raymond Wed Dec 01, 2021 01:48am

The same way I don't administer a throw-in w/6 players on the court or a free throw if the shooter is not yet in the semi-circle.

If they don't want to listen or someone starts arguing with me, I'll put the ball at disposal and call the violation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Zoochy Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:42am

Is Your Team Ready?

Put the responsibility on the player you are going to dispose the ball to. Ask (s)he if their team is ready. If yes, then call the violation when you give them the ball. Simple/Pimple

Altor Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:21pm

I don't see a difference between 1) asking the player making the throw-in to back up a bit when his/her toes extend over the boundary line, 2) asking the defender to back up a bit if they are already encroaching the boundary, or 3) telling the offense that only one player may be OOB during a spot throw-in
before you administer the ball for a throw-in.

If you wouldn't ask the player if they were ready when their toes are over the line without pointing out the reason for your question, why would you do it in the OP?

BillyMac Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:53pm

Out Of The Lane ... ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1045741)
Upon what are you basing the official’s authority to not administer the throw-in? Should the official be directing the four teammates to stand inbounds once the thrower is ready to receive the ball?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1045737)
... the official probably shouldn't administer the throw-in with all players standing OOB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1045738)
... don't even administer the throw-in until all the players are legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1045742)
... don't administer a throw-in w/6 players on the court or a free throw if the shooter is not yet in the semi-circle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1045750)
1) asking the player making the throw-in to back up a bit when his/her toes extend over the boundary line, 2) asking the defender to back up a bit if they are already encroaching the boundary, or 3) telling the offense that only one player may be OOB during a spot throw-in before you administer the ball for a throw-in.

While I admit that officials shouldn't be "coaching" players, in my opinion, all of these are examples of "preventative officiating" and to not do so and make a call with no warning would be an example of a "gotcha" call, "Look at me. I know all the rules".

Yes, there are gray areas between "coaching" players and "preventative officiating" that should be debated, but these examples aren't gray areas.

Note to Raymond: Nobody waited for Larry Bird to get in the semicircle.

todd66 Thu Dec 02, 2021 08:00am

Thanks to all. I appreciate the information and suggestions