The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

NFHS question part 1 exam

Which of the following constitutes illegal contact?
A. An offensive player using the forearm to prevent an opponent from attacking the ball during the dribble.
B. Contact created when a dribbler ends his/her dribble causing a defender trailing the dribbler to push into the dribbler.
C. Placing a hand on the arm of a ball handler
D. A and B
E. All of the above
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
Which of the following constitutes illegal contact?
A. An offensive player using the forearm to prevent an opponent from attacking the ball during the dribble.
B. Contact created when a dribbler ends his/her dribble causing a defender trailing the dribbler to push into the dribbler.
C. Placing a hand on the arm of a ball handler
D. A and B
E. All of the above
Would it help if C. read, "Placing and keeping a hand on a ball handler" instead?

Last edited by Mike Goodwin; Mon Oct 25, 2021 at 10:26am.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

I think it is E but not good wording on the C answer.

I hate when they try to "gotcha" with a word or two left out that does not change the meaning of their answer or the question.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Both NCAA-M and NFHS had some questionable wording on their tests this year.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Our state's version only had 98 questions (I wonder if they removed two bad questions) and I got the 3 remaining really ambiguous questions wrong. I mean, 97% isn't terrible, but I'm usually good for 100% when the questions aren't poorly written.

We need to take both parts and I'd love to see it reduced to one better exam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The NCAA test had some rather bad questions. And the only way you would know some of the answers is if you had seen the NCAA videos, which was not available to everyone at first. Unless you were a D1 official and were allowed to attend the virtual meetings, you might not have known what was being discussed with some of the questions. But again often the D1 guys get the information and everyone else has to wait.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Our state's version only had 98 questions (I wonder if they removed two bad questions) and I got the 3 remaining really ambiguous questions wrong. I mean, 97% isn't terrible, but I'm usually good for 100% when the questions aren't poorly written.

We have a state-only version in Illinois and it only is 25 questions. Usually 50 plus options for those 25 questions and scrambled. So we are given all the questions and answer them in our individual tests.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rich and I are in the same state, and this is the only question I missed, purely because "and keep" wasn't part of the wording in option C. I guess this is what happens when you try to split hairs with the NFHS!
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Rich and I are in the same state, and this is the only question I missed, purely because "and keep" wasn't part of the wording in option C. I guess this is what happens when you try to split hairs with the NFHS!

I got 3 other questions wrong. Honestly, I took the exam in about 20 minutes so I'm sure the other 3 were awkward to me but probably in the usual NFHS way, likely stright from the book.

Taking 9 tests a year is tedious, to be honest. I license in 4 sports (I only work 3) and I also take an association test. I'd like to see them be better, but fewer. I mean, how useful are two questions on the definition of a multiple foul?

Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I took a chance on C being correct (even if incomplete) and chose E, which was ended up being the correct answer.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I mean, how useful are two questions on the definition of a multiple foul?
You mean to tell me you've never called a multiple foul??!! I found that amusing as well.

The NFHS could certainly take a page out of the NCAA's book when it comes to producing a test that makes you think...
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You mean to tell me you've never called a multiple foul??!! I found that amusing as well.

The NFHS could certainly take a page out of the NCAA's book when it comes to producing a test that makes you think...
Yeah, but it was bad this year. Several questions were about doing the wordplay the NF does. But for the most part, the questions are more in line with the actual game itself, I would agree.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 12:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yeah, but it was bad this year. Several questions were about doing the wordplay the NF does. But for the most part, the questions are more in line with the actual game itself, I would agree.

Peace
Yes, I was disappointed with the quality of the NCAA-M's test this year. I have in years past praised it for not playing "gotcha" like the NFHS always does.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Educational Experience ...

We did away with the NFHS exam several years ago. I'll be taking the IAABO open-book Refresher Exam. 75 rules questions (based on NFHS rules and interpretations), I believe to be generated by IAABO International, and 25 IAABO mechanics questions, I believe to be state, or locally, generated.

Haven't looked at it yet, just got it a few days ago. The past few years the IAABO questions have been much better than in the past, less wordy, less likely to be "gotcha" questions.

My local board has set up several Refresher Exam "study groups", both "live", and Zoom, giving us a chance to work on the exam together in small groups. Makes it more of a educational experience than an evaluation experience.

A passing score is (only) 80 correct answers out of 100 questions is required. One can take the exam three times (online, used to be two times) to get a passing grade, thus allowing one to get assignments for this coming season. Even after failing three times, one can still get assignments by attending a "remedial" meeting.

We're all about education, not evaluation. But I think that the pendulum has swung too far to one side. I bump into colleagues every year that don't seem to know if the basketball is stuffed, or inflated.

Over forty years of exams, NFHS and IAABO, I never got perfect scores on my own, only submitted perfect scores after attending small group meetings, either "approved" by my local board (as we do now), or "unapproved" (as in the past, often with a leader with a "black market" answer sheet) in clandestine smoke filled back rooms. Usual reasons I got questions wrong isn't because I didn't know the rule, it's because I didn't read the questions carefully enough, or the ambiguous questions were poorly written. Also have problems with "unannounced" IAABO mechanics changes.

Still, every year my goal is to achieve a perfect score.

Just like my goal every game is to officiate a perfect game. Of course, that's never happened either, probably never will. But I keep trying, I'm very goal oriented.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 25, 2021 at 03:15pm.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2021, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The NCAA test had some rather bad questions. And the only way you would know some of the answers is if you had seen the NCAA videos, which was not available to everyone at first. Unless you were a D1 official and were allowed to attend the virtual meetings, you might not have known what was being discussed with some of the questions. But again often the D1 guys get the information and everyone else has to wait.

Peace
Same (generally) for the NCAAW test. It's a bear and you can only get some of the answers from the video -- which isn't available until a couple of weeks after the test opens. Plus, I don't think they ever post the correct answers, so you can't really learn from what you missed.