Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 03, 2021, 10:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With An Intentional Reach In ...

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...oZ8XuYjcpg.mp4

Should this play be ruled an Intentional Foul? Observe this play and make a ruling as to whether or not the foul on this play should have been ruled an intentional foul.

Two choices: This is a common foul. This is an intentional foul.

My comment: This is a common foul. White #12 “reaches in” and fouls ball handler Black #23 in a normal basketball play on a ball handler.

Note: Haven't Forum members seen this video before?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 03, 2021, 10:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Oldie But Goodie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Haven't Forum members seen this video before?
Yes we did, February 21, 2021.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1041694
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 03, 2021 at 10:40am.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2021, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Strategic Foul ...

Just for fun, I pulled up some interesting comment snippets from my IAABO member colleagues:

strategic foul

foul intentionally without committing an intentional foul

time and score

Clean foul and smart foul, nothing more

good example of how to foul on purpose, but not be ruled intentional

defender may have committed the foul on purpose, but I don’t think this is an intentional foul

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jun 03, 2021 at 10:56am.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2021, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Foul on Black 4 during the initial drive.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2021, 09:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Updated IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...oZ8XuYjcpg.mp4

Updated IAABO Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is an intentional foul.

This is a very challenging play that certainly created a lot of debate among respondents. There really isn't much question as to why the foul was committed. White #12 wishes to stop Green #23 from advancing the ball on a fast break for what looks like will be a lay-up attempt. Even though we know why the foul was committed, officials must determine if a foul is intentional by judging the fouling act itself. Did the defender make a legitimate attempt on the ball/player?

When White #12 approaches the dribbler, his focus appears to be on the player versus the location of the ball. He reaches out with two hands to contact the dribbler. His right hand is more in the back of the torso, which is away from where the ball handler is dribbling the ball. From that perspective, the contact neutralized the opponent's obvious advantageous position and could easily be considered as contact that was not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player. This would be enough rules support to consider this an intentional foul and how 44% of respondents saw this play.

56% of respondents see this as a common foul. When White #12 reached out with both hands, his left hand does appear to contact the dribbler in the front of the torso (which was a little closer to the ball) when the foul occurred. This action could be considered a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player, and therefore would be supported by rule as a common foul.

This play illustrates the importance of angles. Where an official is positioned could shape their perception of the contact that was committed. The Lead on this play had an angle where he could see the defender's left arm/hand and most likely ruled this as a common foul as a result. If an official was trailing this play, they might have seen more of the contact from behind the player and ruled it differently.

Regardless of how you perceive this play, the most important takeaway is understanding the intentional foul rules that need to be applied to make an accurate ruling. (Rule Book 4-19-3 Case Book 4.19.3 Situations A-E) All officials should master these rules and review these types of play situations as a part of a thorough pregame conference.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a common foul 56% (including me). This is an intentional foul 44%.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 06, 2021 at 12:19pm.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2021, 09:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Left Hand, Right Hand ???

Quote:
Haven't Forum members seen this video before?
Quote:
Yes we did, February 21, 2021.
Here's the IAABO International Play Commentary from February 21, 2021 based on the exact same video.

Correct Answer: This should have been ruled a common foul.

On a breakaway, Green #23 is dribbling the ball into the frontcourt as he is fouled by White #12. On plays such as this, intentional fouls should be charged when contact is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player or when it is considered excessive contact. (4-19-3)

In this case, the defender did make a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player, and the contact was not excessive. This is a common foul and is ruled properly by the officials. This is a proper way to foul “deliberately” without being charged with an intentional foul.

I fully understand the subjective nature of officiating basketball, but at some point a consensus among experts, especially four experts from a single organization, with a single unifying philosophy, looking at a single video, would be greatly appreciated.

IAABO: One Rule, One Interpretation

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 06, 2021 at 02:42pm.