The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Rules 2021-2022 Announced (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105422-new-rules-2021-2022-announced.html)

JRutledge Wed May 12, 2021 03:19pm

New Rules 2021-2022 Announced

New Rules 2021-2022 Announced

What do you guys think about the Shot Clock Rule?

Peace

Raymond Wed May 12, 2021 03:40pm

I'm shocked Billy hasn't responded yet. Your post has been up a full 30 minutes.

JRutledge Wed May 12, 2021 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1043304)
I'm shocked Billy hasn't responded yet. Your post has been up a full 30 minutes.

I am surprised he has not commented for several days. On a serious note (I am going to regret this but here it goes.....) but is everything alright for him?

But I was wondering why he was not here. I expected him to beat me to this post.

Peace

BillyMac Wed May 12, 2021 05:44pm

Pecking Order ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1043305)
I am surprised he has not commented for several days. On a serious note is everything alright for him?

Thanks for asking. I'm fine. IAABO hasn't published a Make the Call Video in a while, and it's off season so things have been pretty quiet on the Forum.

Plus I've been busy in the yard, lawn, flowers, vegetables, replaced rotted mailbox post, fixed the garage door, paddled with my kayak group at a new location (I write articles for the group on the history, geography, and ecology of each site), and introduced a new pullet to my backyard flock of hens (not an easy task with an existing pecking order).

I do have a life outside of basketball officiating, not much, bit it's a life.

Found out that my local board will have a banquet this year (COVID cancelled last year), but due to COVID it will be outside in July. I'll be receiving a forty year award.

I actually checked the NFHS website yesterday and there was nothing new there. It's true, you snooze, you lose.

BillyMac Wed May 12, 2021 05:50pm

Underwhelmed ...

Beginning with the 2022-23 season, a 35-second shot clock will be permitted in high school basketball games by state association adoption. A proposal for a national rule mandating a shot clock was not approved.

A shot clock was among the topics discussed by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Basketball Rules Committee at its annual meeting April 20-22 held virtually this year. All recommendations were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

Rule 2-14 states that each state association may adopt a shot clock beginning in the 2022-23 season -- according to guidelines outlined in the Basketball Rules Book -- to encourage standardization among states. Guidelines include displaying two timepieces that are connected to a horn that is distinctive from the game-clock horn, and using an alternative timing device, such as a stopwatch at the scorer’s table, for a shot clock malfunction. The guidelines also allow for corrections to the shot clock only during the shot-clock period in which an error occurred and the officials have definite information relative to the mistake or malfunction.

“We provided the committee with a lot of information regarding the shot clock, including responses to a 46-question survey sent to states currently using a shot clock,” said Theresia Wynns, NFHS director of sports and officials and liaison to the Basketball Rules Committee.

Rule 3-5-4e was added to allow players to wear head coverings for religious reasons without obtaining state association approval. The head covering shall not be made of abrasive or hard materials and must be attached so that it is highly unlikely to come off during play. Basketball is the sixth sport in which a rule related to the wearing of head coverings or other equipment for religious reasons has been adopted, following volleyball, field hockey, soccer, spirit and swimming.

The official signals were also modified to use the same hand signal for a player control foul and a team control foul. Officials should use Signal 36, which is a hand placed at the back of the head, for both types of fouls. Previously, a team control foul was communicated with a punch of the hand.

“It is redundant to have different signals to communicate that a foul will be charged to a member of the team in control of the ball,” Wynns said. “Officials don’t understand the need to differentiate between a player control foul and a team control foul, and many game participants, table personnel and fans don’t know the difference.”

BillyMac Wed May 12, 2021 05:54pm

State Associations Adoptions ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1043303)
What do you guys think about the Shot Clock Rule?

So the 35 second shot clock will be added to this list?

State Associations Adoptions
State associations may individually adopt specific coverage in the
following:
1. Determining ball size for junior high boys competition.
2. Authorizing use and size of 28-foot (maximum) coaching box.
3. Authorizing use of replay equipment at the conclusion of a state
championship series contest.
4. Authorizing use of supplementary equipment to aid in game -
administration.
5. Authorizing rule exceptions to provide reasonable accommodations.
6. Authorizing use of head coverings for medical, or cosmetic (delete religious) reasons.
7. Authorizing use of a running clock when a specified point differential is
reached.
8. Determining the number of electronic media time-outs.
9. Authorizing use of one commemorative/memorial patch on the jersey

I can live with that as long as Connecticut doesn't adopt it. We use a shot clock with boys and girls private prep school varsity games and it's almost always some type of a problem.

BillyMac Wed May 12, 2021 05:59pm

How About A Nice Hawaiian Punch ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043308)
The official signals were also modified to use the same hand signal for a player control foul and a team control foul. Officials should use Signal 36, which is a hand placed at the back of the head, for both types of fouls. Previously, a team control foul was communicated with a punch of the hand.

I thought that the NFHS was considering the "punch" as the signal?

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1043260

Nevadaref Wed May 12, 2021 11:00pm

This shot clock adoption rule is a step in the right direction, but somewhat curious. The NFHS should not have specified the length and left that aspect up to each individual state. I’m most familiar with states currently using 35 seconds for boys and 30 for girls. But with college recently shifting to 30 for both genders, I expect those states employing a shot clock at the HS level to follow suit. Additionally, it is my understanding that states currently using a shot clock are shut out of the NFHS rules making process since they don’t comply with NFHS rules. Strangely, this will continue to be the case for those states going with a 30-second shot clock in either boys or girls contests. The NFHS missed an opportunity here to be more inclusive and bring those states back into the fold simply by not specifying a number of seconds.

JRutledge Wed May 12, 2021 11:50pm

I am under the impression that the NF does not care if you make a rule more restrictive than the current NF Rule. So I am kind of guessing that if they have a 30-second shot clock, they will not be excluded from the NF based on past precedent. That is purely a guess on my part, but for example if you gave a T for a uniform infraction for example that was just making a player unable to play, then the NF did not care about that application and kept the state as a full member. So we will see moving forward.

Peace

SC Official Thu May 13, 2021 05:28am

Solution in search of a problem.

BillyMac Thu May 13, 2021 12:19pm

Yada, Yada, Yada ...

I hope that the Points of Emphasis are equally as exciting.

Camron Rust Thu May 13, 2021 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1043312)
This shot clock adoption rule is a step in the right direction, but somewhat curious. The NFHS should not have specified the length and left that aspect up to each individual state. I’m most familiar with states currently using 35 seconds for boys and 30 for girls. But with college recently shifting to 30 for both genders, I expect those states employing a shot clock at the HS level to follow suit. Additionally, it is my understanding that states currently using a shot clock are shut out of the NFHS rules making process since they don’t comply with NFHS rules. Strangely, this will continue to be the case for those states going with a 30-second shot clock in either boys or girls contests. The NFHS missed an opportunity here to be more inclusive and bring those states back into the fold simply by not specifying a number of seconds.

Or, those states will make the minor adjustment to come into compliance since the bigger issue is clock vs. no clock and 5 seconds difference is unlikely to be a major factor.

Personally, I think 35 is plenty short enough for high school. In fact, I would have been in favor of it being higher as most HS teams are just not that good and you'll see desperation shot after desperation shot in some games....or numerous shot clock violations.

Camron Rust Thu May 13, 2021 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1043313)
but for example if you gave a T for a uniform infraction for example that was just making a player unable to play, then the NF did not care about that application and kept the state as a full member. So we will see moving forward.

Peace

It was my understanding that the technical for a uniform infraction was an authorized experiment for one or more states.

Stat-Man Thu May 13, 2021 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043310)
I thought that the NFHS was considering the "punch" as the signal?

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1043260

I like and prefer the punch for offensive fouls more than the PC signal. That said, I'm willing to bet that the NFHS decision is based on NCAA-M adopting the same signal for all PC & TC fouls. For better or worse, a number of changes from NCAA-M tend to trickle down at some point to the NFHS level.

The rule change allowing head coverings for religious reasons without state-level approval is a good idea in that it removes extra paperwork and the potential gotchas if a team never got that approval and suddenly found the rule strictly enforced -- especially in the post season (which I want to say actually happened somewhere within the past few seasons).

I have no idea if Michigan would consider adopting a shot clock. Until that happens, I'll remain indifferent towards it aside to say I'd prefer it be adopted at the HS level only if it ever was.

JRutledge Thu May 13, 2021 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1043319)
It was my understanding that the technical for a uniform infraction was an authorized experiment for one or more states.

My point is I was told that if a state went to a rule that was stricter than the NF, they were fine being a member. If a state relaxed or decided not to enforce a rule, then they were subject to losing voter membership. Not sure if that is totally true but an IHSA Administrator said that in a meeting once so that was the impression I was given. But I am not sure if using a 30 second clock as opposed to a 35 second clock would make much of a difference in this area.

Peace