The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fun In The Post … (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105415-fun-post.html)

BillyMac Sun May 02, 2021 12:50pm

Fun In The Post …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...DgWWEYgxBK.mp4

Should this be ruled a traveling violation? Observe the play in the post and make a determination if the pivot foot is lifted before the ball is released by the ball handler.

Two choices: This is a traveling violation. This is not a traveling violation.

My comment: This is a traveling violation. White #31 picks up his pivot foot (right foot) before releasing the ball to start his dribble.

bob jenkins Sun May 02, 2021 04:35pm

Easy travel. Often ignored / missed.

Lcubed48 Sun May 02, 2021 05:45pm

Always listen to Bob!

BillyMac Thu May 06, 2021 09:41am

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

IAABO Play Commentary

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...DgWWEYgxBK.mp4

Correct Answer: This is a traveling violation.

As White #31 receives the pass, he establishes his right foot as the pivot foot when he steps with his left foot. He lifts his right foot (the pivot foot) off the floor before releasing the ball to start the dribble. This is a traveling violation. (4-44-3c)

The key to getting this play right is seeing the whole play and having an angle where you can see the pivot foot and when the ball is released to start the dribble. If we were the Trail official and had this camera angle view of the play, it is difficult to know when the ball was released related to the pivot being lifted.

This play happens to occur on strongside of the court and opens up toward the Lead official. The Lead has good depth (as much as this gym provides) off the endline and appears to have a good view of the play.

With the ball handler closely guarded, we officials often focus our attention on the torso area to observe potential contact between the offensive and defensive players. Officials should strive to identify the pivot foot of ball handlers in their PCA as they receive the ball or end a dribble. This will help get this play right.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a traveling violation 58% (including me). This is not a traveling violation 42%.

Kansas Ref Thu May 06, 2021 07:13pm

To be honest, I'd have likely passed on this call bcz, it was not necessarily egregious (i.e., it didn't jump out at me). In summary, our supervisor of Basketball officials always tells us to keep in mind "time & circumstance" when stopping live ball action on ostensibly trivial actions.

BillyMac Fri May 07, 2021 01:18pm

Odd Move ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1043286)
I'd have likely passed on this call bcz, it was not necessarily egregious (i.e., it didn't jump out at me).

Only because I read the IAABO questions and answers before viewing the video did I easily spot the travel. I'm normally very good at spotting ball handlers picking up their pivot foot before releasing the ball to start a dribble, but there was something odd and awkward about his move that made it look legal, maybe the ball swing across his body distracted me, or the fact that he really didn't "take the train" anywhere.

Raymond Fri May 07, 2021 02:10pm

His footwork on the dribble drew my attention right away.

Kansas Ref Fri May 07, 2021 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1043290)
His footwork on the dribble drew my attention right away.

Shrewd analysis, and good eye!

Kansas Ref Fri May 07, 2021 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043289)
Only because I read the IAABO questions and answers before viewing the video did I easily spot the travel. I'm normally very good at spotting ball handlers picking up their pivot foot before releasing the ball to start a dribble, but there was something odd and awkward about his move that made it look legal, maybe the ball swing across his body distracted me, or the fact that he really didn't "take the train" anywhere.

I liked your phrasing: "didn't take the train anywhere"---I may use that one!

BillyMac Sat May 08, 2021 11:22am

Mental Block ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1043292)
I liked your phrasing: "didn't take the train anywhere"---I may use that one!

Please don't take that as a general statement from me. My statement was not meant to imply advantage/disadvantage, it was only meant for this specific video, an awkward move that seemed odd to me, somewhat east/west with the swing through.

Even knowing that it was a travel, when I watched the video over and over in a "not knowing ahead of time mode", I often missed the travel, for some reason this specific play was some type of a mental block for me.

Like I said earlier, I'm normally very good identifying a pivot foot and spotting ball handlers picking up their pivot foot before releasing the ball to start a dribble, and will always call it when see it, not considering advantage/disadvantage for travels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1043224)
Often ignored/missed.

I didn't ignore it (advantage/disadvantage), I often missed it during these over and over replays.

I do not consider advantage/disadvantage in adjudicating travel plays.

For some odd reason, whatever reason, in real time "not knowing ahead of time mode", this was somewhat difficult for me.

Maybe because his swing through ended in a left handed move despite the defender pretty much having that side (the endlne) cut off?

And I usually don't guess on travel plays, if I identify the pivot foot and see something illegal, I call it, if not, I usually don't guess, and often leave it alone.

If you are not sure, don’t call it. "Funny looking" isn't always illegal (but in this case it was illegal).

Speaking of funny looking, where's Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. been?

JRutledge Sat May 08, 2021 12:19pm

This never tripped my trigger. I hardly could tell by this angle. I would probably miss this based on angle in which I see this.

Peace