The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 03, 2021, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am having a camp this month and for those that want to learn they can. For those that have things better to do, stay home. A friend and I have started something and we are trying to help those that want help to get to the level he is at and I am at. Not throwing anything against the wall, just trying to help those that are looking for guidance.

Peace
Old Mon May 03, 2021, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Camps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am having a camp this month and for those that want to learn they can ... trying to help those that want help to get to the level he is at and I am at ... trying to help those that are looking for guidance
Sound great. Local and statewide high school camps, especially day camps and weekend camps, have failed miserably here in Connecticut. Not enough interested instructors, not enough interested officials, few AAU programs, or player camps on college campuses, to get camp games. We (local board) once tried to hook up with a town recreation summer night league, but it was poorly organized (many canceled games) and we didn't followup the next summer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 04, 2021 at 12:12pm.
Old Mon May 03, 2021, 04:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Just throw everything against the wall. Some will stick, some won't...
Nope.

When you start just throwing everything against the wall without regard to the audience, or by constantly restating the same point over and over, you become white noise and audiences start tuning you out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon May 03, 2021, 06:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anything And Everything ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
When you start just throwing everything against the wall without regard to the audience
As a Forum member who is always trying to improve my officiating (even at my age and stage of my career), I would always be interested in anything and everything all Forum members have to offer. I can then sort out things that I think are relevant to my officiating situation, and that would help me, including teaching others; and things that I think are not relevant to my officiating situation. I know my own strengths and weaknesses, and can filter suggestions accordingly. Of course, I still don't know what I don't know.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 03, 2021 at 06:29pm.
Old Tue May 04, 2021, 10:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sound great. Local and statewide high school camps, especially day camps and weekend camps, have failed miserably here in Connecticut. Not enough interested instructors, not enough interested officials, few AAU programs, or player camps on college campuses, to get camp games. We once tried to hook up with a town recreation summer night league, but it was poorly organized (many canceled games) and we didn't followup the next summer.
I live in a large metropolitan area, that is not our issue here. Also a big basketball area as well.

Peace
Old Wed May 05, 2021, 08:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...6zRZIhDQ%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary

Correct Answer: This is a good block and there is no foul on the play.

It is difficult to be sure if a foul was committed on this play based on the camera angle we have. 80% of respondents answered believe there was no foul on the play.

More importantly than the ruling on the contact is the approach of the Lead official to position adjust to get an angle to make the ruling. This is a great example of an IAABO approved floor mechanic. If it is not possible to be ahead of the play, the Lead should attempt to get an open look by “trailing the play” on potential contact situations in transition. (Manual p. 34) The Lead in this play quickly recognizes how the play is developing and slows down and ends up with a pretty good angle from behind the play to make the ruling. His view may have been obstructed a little by the ring as the defensive player attempted to block the shot, but his approach to positioning gave him the best angle available to him on this play.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a good block and there is no foul on the play 77% (including me). The ruling of a foul is correct 23%.