The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fun With Contact … (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105405-fun-contact.html)

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 08:52am

Fun With Contact …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...1PezsHSw%3D%3D

Was this properly ruled a player control foul? Did the offensive player push off the defender? Did the official have a good angle to view this play? Did the ruling official use an accurate site of foul signaling?

Three choices: This is a player control foul. This is a blocking foul. This is incidental contact.

My comment: This is a player control foul. Ball handler Black #10 illegally pushed White #1 with her left arm. Official gave the team control foul signal instead of the player control foul signal. Also, Black #10 traveled before the contact.

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 08:55am

Early Returns ...

Early results from IAABO members who have commented are all over the place. Lots of player control fouls and incidental contact, with a few blocking fouls added for flavor.

bob jenkins Thu Apr 22, 2021 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043007)
Also, White #1 traveled before the contact.

I don't see how that's possible.

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 09:14am

Black And White And Red All Over ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1043009)
I don't see how that's possible.

White #1 traveled five minutes previous to the situation shown on the video.

Fixed it. Thanks.

Got a call (or a no call)?

bob jenkins Thu Apr 22, 2021 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043010)
Fixed it. Thanks.

Impossible to tell from the camera angle. The official did a good job of anticipating the long throw-in and moving to be in position and was looking between the players.

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 09:31am

Good Hustle ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1043012)
The official did a good job of anticipating the long throw-in and moving to be in position and was looking between the players.

Agree. Good hustle. Through no fault of her own, if she hadn't gotten jammed between the two players and the coach and his bench she may have had a wider, more open look to see the travel. At one point she had to take a step around the coach (who was legally in his coaching box).

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:53am

Anybody From Minnesota ???

There's a giant M painted on the wall, and Redhawks is painted on the floor.

The black jerseys appear to say Minnehaha Redhawks.

The white jerseys say Como (Como Park Cougars).

Como Park is a public high school.

Minnehaha is a private Christian high school, but appears to compete against public high schools, and participates in the Minnesota state tournament.

Here in Connecticut private prep schools (some with post gradate programs), and Christian prep schools, only compete against each other, have their own post season tournaments, and by custom, wear dark uniforms at home, white on the road.

Connecticut Catholic high schools compete against public high schools, participate the Connecticut state tournament, and wear white at home, dark on the road, as do all public high schools.

What's the story with the Minnehaha Redhawks wearing black jerseys on their home court?

bob jenkins Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043014)
There's a giant M painted on the wall, and Redhawks is painted on the floor.

The black jerseys appear to say Minnehaha Redhawks.

The white jerseys say Como (Como Park Cougars).

Como Park is a public high school.

Minnehaha is a private Christian high school, but appears to compete against public high schools, and participates in the Minnesota state tournament.

Here in Connecticut private prep schools (some with post gradate programs), and Christian prep schools, only compete against each other, have their own post season tournaments, and by custom, wear dark uniforms at home, white on the road.

Connecticut Catholic high schools compete against public high schools, participate the Connecticut state tournament, and wear white at home, dark on the road, as do all public high schools.

What's the story with the Minnehaha Redhawks wearing black jerseys on their home court?

Maybe it's a tournament and they are the "visitors." Maybe MN has the home team wear dark. Maybe MN has a rule "home team wears white unless the teams agree differently." Maybe MN DGAF.

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:47am

Odd ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1043015)
Maybe MN has the home team wear dark. Maybe MN has a rule "home team wears white unless the teams agree differently."

I figured it was something like that, just found it odd, and wanted it confirmed.

As I already stated, we have a few of our own odd uniform customs for private prep schools here in Connecticut.

That why "private school" popped into my head first before I did deep dive.

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:54am

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1043015)
Maybe MN has the home team wear dark

Bingo.

Minnesota State High School League Basketball Rule Modifications

Uniforms: The home team shall wear dark-colored uniforms and the visiting team white uniforms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043016)
... "private school" popped into my head first before I did deep dive.

My first deep dive wasn't deep enough.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.K...=0&w=256&h=171

Nevadaref Thu Apr 22, 2021 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043017)
Bingo.

Minnesota State High School League Basketball Rule Modifications

Uniforms: The home team shall wear dark-colored uniforms and the visiting team white uniforms.

My first deep dive wasn't deep enough.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.K...=0&w=256&h=171

You noticed the reversal of the uniform colors, but not 11:00 on the clock?

I’ll save you the trouble of asking. MN plays 18 minute halves for HS games.

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 02:17pm

The North Star State ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1043018)
You noticed the reversal of the uniform colors, but not 11:00 on the clock? I’ll save you the trouble of asking. MN plays 18 minute halves for HS games.

Noticed it (it was the scoreboard that first got my attention directed to home team jersey color), but already knew that some states play games in halves.

Sixteen minutes for Minnesota subvarsity games.

Also restricted area (mandatory above grade nine, optional grade nine), some shot clocks (necessary equipment obviously needed and team agreement), running clock mercy rule (35 points last "quarter" of game), 14 foot coaching box, and apparel (wristbands, headbands, arm/knee sleeves, knee pads, compression shorts, tights) restricted to only solid black or white (I guess no jersey color, or beige allowed).

Now that's a deep Marianas Trench dive.

Zoochy Thu Apr 22, 2021 03:34pm

Too Much Time on 'Your' Hands

BillyMac, you have Waaaay too much time
As for the video. I cannot confirm nor deny the contact. Bad angle.
Not sure if those are approved signals for the State of Minnesota, but the official looks like she is about to Break Dance.

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 03:54pm

Hijacked ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043017)
Minnesota State High School League Basketball Rule Modifications :Uniforms: The home team shall wear dark-colored uniforms and the visiting team white uniforms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1043019)
... play games in halves. Sixteen minutes for Minnesota subvarsity games.

Also restricted area (mandatory above grade nine, optional grade nine), some shot clocks (necessary equipment obviously needed and team agreement), running clock mercy rule (35 points last "quarter" of game), 14 foot coaching box, and apparel (wristbands, headbands, arm/knee sleeves, knee pads, compression shorts, tights) restricted to only solid black or white (I guess no jersey color, or beige allowed).

Why is ilyazhito posting under BillyMac's username?

BillyMac Thu Apr 22, 2021 04:03pm

Working In The Back Forty ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1043020)
BillyMac, you have Waaaay too much time

Agree. Things are starting to get busy outside. Lawn needs to be mowed and edged. Sugar Snap Peas are already in the ground. Cherry Tomatoes, Marigolds, Nasturtium, and Alyssum are still under the grow lights in my basement, but should be ready to go in the ground and containers in a few weeks. Looking to buy a new pullet to add to my flock of backyard hens. Kayak group starts group paddles this weekend. I'll be too busy to multiple post each day, but should still have enough time to post IAABO Make The Call Videos as they are published.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 1043020)
Not sure if those are approved signals for the State of Minnesota ...

Hopefully the NFHS will confirm and emphasize one single player control foul signal in a few weeks. Maybe it won't help, but it can't hurt. My little corner of Connecticut is like the Wild Wild West when it comes to player control foul signals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1042397)
NFHS Rules Committee: Eliminate player control signal...use only team control signal