Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 14, 2021, 10:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Euro Step …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...dyZRMOpA%3D%3D

Is this a legal "Euro Step?" Was this move executed legally?

Two choices: This is a traveling violation. This is not a traveling violation.

My comment: This is not a traveling violation. White #42’s right foot is her pivot foot. She lifts that pivot foot to attempt a shot, and doesn’t return her pivot foot to the floor until after the before the ball is released on the try.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 14, 2021, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Legal.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 14, 2021, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

You can't tell from the camera angle, but there's certainly a potential of a "gather" with the left foot on the floor. Stop it at 7 seconds.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2021, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

The camera angle does block off our view cleanly, but I see nothing that suggests the dribble ended until the right foot was planted. Looks totally legal just based on that and it appears the ball is bouncing still when the left foot hits the floor (the last step).

Peace
Old Wed Apr 14, 2021, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like a nicely executed move...2 points.
Old Wed Apr 14, 2021, 12:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Touched Ball With Two Hands ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You can't tell from the camera angle, but there's certainly a potential of a "gather" with the left foot on the floor. Stop it at 7 seconds.
I see your point. It was close, but by stopping frames, I believe that her left foot was barely off the floor when she touched the ball with two hands.

If it's too close to call, don't call it. We shouldn't be calling "potential(s)". It should certainly get our antennae up, but no more than that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Apr 14, 2021, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

This is a legal play. I saw nothing that would indicate a potential travel.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2021, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...dyZRMOpA%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary: Correct Answer: This is not a traveling violation.

Here is a maneuver that has gained popularity in recent years. The challenge for officials is this move can be done legally or illegally depending on where the feet are located when the ball handler ends their dribble.

In this play, the ball handler appears to be airborne when the dribble ends, steps with her right foot, then to her left foot before jumping to attempt a try. A player who ends a dribble with both feet off the floor and lands on one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot foot. (4-44-2.a.2) And remember, a pivot foot may be lifted but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for a goal. (4-44-4.a) In this play, the ball handler established the right foot as the pivot foot and then jumped and released the ball on the try before returning the pivot foot to the floor. This is a legal play and is correctly ruled by the officials.

For many of you, this is a traveling violation. You may be right! If the left foot were in contact with the floor when the dribble ended, it would have become the pivot foot when she stepped with her right foot. When she stepped back to the left foot before attempting the try, this would be a traveling violation. (4-44-3.a) Again, it depends on where the feet are located when the dribble ends. From our camera angle, we lose sight of the ball around the time the dribble ends which makes it difficult to be sure. As officials, we need to work hard and get an open view to properly identify the pivot foot to rule on this play. We need to be certain a violation has occurred before deciding to blow the whistle.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a traveling violation 86% (including me). This is a traveling violation 14%.