The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 02:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With A Frustrated Coach …

IAABO Make The Call Video

Head Coach Behavior. Should this behavior be considered "major" and a technical foul being assessed? Should a warning have been assessed?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...K1X%2F9w%3D%3D

Three choices: The coach should have been assessed a warning. The coach should have been assessed a technical foul. This is a spontaneous reaction and does not need to be addressed.

My comment: The coach should have been assessed a warning. Coach is outside the coaching box and argues with the official. I do not judge this offense to be a major offense.

Note: Every official has a different level of tolerance and we don't know what happened previously in the game. Was the coach frustrated with his team, down by twenty in the last period, or with the opposing coach, pressing with a big late lead, or with the officiating, or with everything?

Also, what happened to the game clock?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 04, 2021 at 02:29pm.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Slapping the table makes this perilously close to a T.

I'm sure it's just some sort of faulty display on the clock -- when the minutes are zero, the center horizontal row of lights turns on.

Don't the stripes on the officials' shirts seem too wide?
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 03:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Munchkinland ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Spotted that also. Or ... are the officials too small?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 04, 2021 at 03:06pm.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Like 1970s ties

Quote:
Apparently, the NJISAA has its basketball officials wear the ridiculously wide 2.25" stripes.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 03:23pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:

I'm sure it's just some sort of faulty display on the clock -- when the minutes are zero, the center horizontal row of lights turns on.

Assuming there has been no previous bench warning issued, I think this at least should be a warning because the coach has to leave the box to slap the table and make the "Call the foul!" comment. Depending on his behavior up until that point or his reputation, I would also understand if the officials went straight a technical foul without a warning.

There is something wrong with the clock inset in that there's some sort of "streaks" covering over some of the scoreboard lights. With the top part of the 7 not displaying, it looks like there's 1 minute to go when this clip starts instead of 7.

I can't remember which but I believe at least one state wants basketball officials to wear wider (2-inch?) stripes for their uniform.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 03:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Those are the same stripes we wear in Virginia.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Your Thing (The Isley Brothers, 1969) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Like 1970s tie
Hey. I thought that I was the only Forum member that put popular culture references in post titles? Geez. Only twenty-two posts and Mike Goodwin already thinks that he owns the place. What happened to paying one's dues? Speaking of which, Mark Padgett, our Forum treasurer, has informed me that Mike Goodwin is late paying his ten dollar annual Forum dues. He wants cash; small, unmarked, non sequential, bills only please. Pay up Mike Goodwin, or it's double secret probation for you and the horse your rode in on.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 04, 2021 at 06:13pm.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
There is something wrong with the clock inset in that there's some sort of "streaks" covering over some of the scoreboard lights. With the top part of the 7 not displaying, it looks like there's 1 minute to go when this clip starts instead of 7.
The thing that's obstructing the scoreboard is another backboard's support system.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I learned That From You (Sara Evans '00) & This Is How We Do It (Montell Jordan '95)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey. I thought that I was the only Forum member that put popular culture references in post titles? Geez. Only twenty-two posts and Mike Goodwin already thinks that he owns the place. What happened to paying one's dues? Speaking of which, Mark Padgett, our Forum treasurer, has informed me that Mike Goodwin is late paying his ten dollar annual Forum dues. He wants cash, small, unmarked, non sequential, bills only please. Pay up Mike Goodwin, or it's double secret probation for you and the horse your rode in on.
Your move, BillyMac.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stop (Spice Girls, 1997) ...

Quote:
Your move, BillyMac.
Sorry. Not playing with you today. I've been punished by one time out in fifteen years here on the Forum. I don't want another one.

You came close to getting me suspended a few weeks ago for your reply, and my follow-up reply, to a Paradise By The Dashboard Light reference.

Encourage me to get in trouble once, shame on you. Encourage me to get in trouble twice, shame on me.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 05, 2021 at 08:35am.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 05:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
IAABO Make The Call Video

Head Coach Behavior. Should this behavior be considered "major" and a technical foul being assessed? Should a warning have been assessed?

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...K1X%2F9w%3D%3D

Three choices: The coach should have been assessed a warning. The coach should have been assessed a technical foul. This is a spontaneous reaction and does not need to be addressed.

My comment: The coach should have been assessed a warning. Coach is outside the coaching box and argues with the official. I do not judge this offense to be a major offense.

Note: Every official has a different level of tolerance and we don't know what happened previously in the game. Was the coach frustrated with his team, down by twenty in the last period, or with the opposing coach, pressing with a big late lead, or with the officiating, or with everything?

Also, what happened to the game clock?

At 7:00, just before B1 releases the Ball for a FGA, W-HC yells at the T: "Call the foul!" The instant B1 releases the Ball for her FGA, I am putting air in my whistle and grant W-HC's request for a Foul to be called: A TF against W-HC for UC (To quote Bugs Bunny: "Ain't I a stinker!" ). Coninuous Motion applies, the Ball remains Live and since B1's FGA was successful her FGA counts. W-HC's TF is a DTF and he loses the Coaching Box.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hickory Dickory Dock ...

Quote:
The thing that's obstructing the scoreboard is another backboard's support system.
Thanks. But why does the clock tick from 1:00 to 6:59 in the fourth period? Odd that that adds up to eight minutes.

Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 05:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Jeopardy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
To quote Bugs Bunny: "Ain't I a stinker!"
It's sometimes satisfying to charge technical fouls to coaches when their team has the ball. Two free throws, take a seat, and, drum roll please, their team loses the ball. Could be a possible five point turn around. How's that for being a stinker?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 05, 2021 at 09:15am.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 05:26pm
Administrator

Quote:
It's sometimes satisfying to charge technical fouls to coaches when their team has the ball. Two free throws, take a seat, and their team loses the ball.

It is even better that when the beg you to call a foul and you can oblige them, lol!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 04, 2021, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. But why does the clock tick from 1:00 to 6:59 in the fourth period? Odd that that adds up to eight minutes.
It doesn't. The digit for 7 minutes is obscured at the top, then the same happens with the top part of the 6. I watched this whole game and another at the same venue; the scoreboard operates properly. When it's under a minute, the two, left-most positions are the seconds, and the third position from the left is the tenths.

If I could figure out how to shrink pictures on this forum, I would include them.