The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 20, 2021, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Vid Request: Post TC Foul w/ L Rotating

BYU @ LMU, 2/20/21, CBSSN, 1st Half leading to the 15:27 mark.

I think it’s a great play for discussion from both a situational and mechanical standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 06:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here you go.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Good call. Notice how this play is different from BMac's IAABO video. Merely putting the arms up is not a foul; using it to displace the defender or prevent the defender rom fronting becomes a foul
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I’m going to disagree with myself. When I first saw this, I thought it was more flop than foul, and I thought L was late rotating and turning his head, thus not seeing the whole play. Upon further review, I was wrong on both accounts.

On the other hand, situationally, LMU was getting hammered from the outset and this was their center’s second foul in the first five minutes (which, granted, you wouldn’t know from the clip). In that sense, I felt like maybe I would have passed. But is warding off a POE this year?

Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 09:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I’m going to disagree with myself. When I first saw this, I thought it was more flop than foul, and I thought L was late rotating and turning his head, thus not seeing the whole play. Upon further review, I was wrong on both accounts.

On the other hand, situationally, LMU was getting hammered from the outset and this was their center’s second foul in the first five minutes (which, granted, you wouldn’t know from the clip). In that sense, I felt like maybe I would have passed. But is warding off a POE this year?

13-2 is not a good reason to pass on an obvious foul.

https://youtu.be/9a3F-y7zMTs

Can't imbed from phone.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Great video, thanks Raymond!

I’m thinking maybe I don’t have much of a feel for this call because I see so little quality post play in my area. HS ball these days is all 2-3 zones, skip passes, lots of threes, and the occasional drive from the wing.

Frankly it’s getting kinda dull. I think the time has come for NFHS to move the arc back to 20’9”.

Old Sun Feb 21, 2021, 11:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
13-2 is not a good reason to pass on an obvious foul.

https://youtu.be/9a3F-y7zMTs

Can't imbed from phone.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 23, 2021, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

This is a tough play. IMO this is a no call and I will talk with Blue #3 at the first opportunity. Blue #3 is showing his right arm while using his left hand/arm to push up on White #14's arm. The whistle comes as Blue #3 is hooking and pulling #14's arm back as he is falling down. This action makes it appear that White #14 is warding off when he is just trying to post up legally. I've seen this occur in some other games and when I get a chance I'll post some of those examples. Live this would be a very hard thing for Lead to see unless he already has prior knowledge of this players actions in the past. One thing that may help is to always find the defensive player's hands.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2021, 10:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
This is a tough play. IMO this is a no call and I will talk with Blue #3 at the first opportunity. Blue #3 is showing his right arm while using his left hand/arm to push up on White #14's arm. The whistle comes as Blue #3 is hooking and pulling #14's arm back as he is falling down. This action makes it appear that White #14 is warding off when he is just trying to post up legally. I've seen this occur in some other games and when I get a chance I'll post some of those examples. Live this would be a very hard thing for Lead to see unless he already has prior knowledge of this players actions in the past. One thing that may help is to always find the defensive player's hands.
The first illegal action on this play is W14 using a horizontal arm in the post to push down on B3's arm, followed by B3 pushing W14's arm up, followed by W14 then pushing B3 backwards.

We are constantly told to get the first illegal action in the post, and W14 committed the first illegal action.