The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Try cancelled?

T has a defender blowing up a screener on the high elbow. He also has a player shooting a 3 pointer at the same time the foul happens.

I know if the contact is bad enough with the try is in the air I am calling the foul and counting the attempt if it is good.

What if the player is in the middle of their jump 2 feet in the air and the ball is clearly in their hands when I blow the defensive foul.

Am I still counting the basket or does it kill the attempt.

Same thing if someone has gathered the ball for a layup and still has the foul in their hands when an off ball defensive foul occurs.

Everything tells me I am still counting the basket if she has left her feet.

So rare to have off ball defensive fouls and have someone shooting that I wanted to ask.

We had a play here where they took one more dribble then launched the three and counted the basket that it got me thinking I needed to rethink this in case it happens.

Thanks in advance,
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

See the rule regarding continuous motion in Rule 4-11.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Live Ball & Dead Ball

Also see Rule 6-7
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 02:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Continuous Motion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
See the rule regarding continuous motion in Rule 4-11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Also see Rule 6-7
4-11: Continuous Motion
ART. 1 Continuous motion applies to a try or tap for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by any defensive player during the interval which begins when the habitual throwing movement starts a try or with the touching on a tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
ART. 2 If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight.
ART. 3 Continuous motion does not apply if a teammate fouls after a player has started a try for a goal and before the ball is in flight. The ball becomes dead immediately.

6-7: Dead Ball
The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 7 A foul, other than player-control or team-control, occurs (see exceptions c below).
c. Article 7 occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for field goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player’s hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 13, 2021 at 02:51pm.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 02:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dribbling Player ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
We had a play here where they took one more dribble then launched the three and counted the basket that it got me thinking I needed to rethink this in case it happens.
Is a dribbling player holding the ball?

Is a dribbling player throwing the ball? (I'm not talking about throwing the ball to the floor.)

Is a dribbling player starting a try? (I'm not talking about trying to start or to continue a dribble.)

See the two continuous motion rules in above post, looking for these three red highlighted words.

If you answer "Yes" to any of these questions, "Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 13, 2021 at 05:43pm.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 06:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

In regards to counting a basket, the rule is no different if the foul is on-ball or off-ball if committed by the defense. Was A1 in the act of shooting when the foul was committed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 13, 2021, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

On Ball, Off Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In regards to counting a basket, the rule is no different if the foul is on-ball or off-ball if committed by the defense. Was A1 in the act of shooting when the foul was committed?
Good points.

Old Fri Jan 15, 2021, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

6.7 SITUATION D: A1 has started a try for a goal (is in the act of shooting), but the ball is not yet in flight when the official blows the whistle for B2 fouling A2. A1's try is successful. RULING: Score the goal by A1. If Team A is in the bonus, A2 will shoot free throws. If not, Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest to where the foul occurred. COMMENT: The foul by the defense need not be on the player in the act of shooting for continuous motion principles to apply. (6-7 Exception c)
Old Sat Jan 16, 2021, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
6.7 SITUATION D: A1 has started a try for a goal (is in the act of shooting), but the ball is not yet in flight when the official blows the whistle for B2 fouling A2. A1's try is successful. RULING: Score the goal by A1. If Team A is in the bonus, A2 will shoot free throws. If not, Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest to where the foul occurred. COMMENT: The foul by the defense need not be on the player in the act of shooting for continuous motion principles to apply. (6-7 Exception c)
*Thanks Nevada, and to further embellish the principle of "continuation": a foul by the Defense in these scenarios does not cause the ball to become dead.