The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Video request: Creighton at Providence

I’m not someone who calls much traveling. I even tend to let a few obvious ones go when there isn’t any defensive pressure or the player doesn’t gain any advantage for the sake of game flow. However, I am of the opinion that officials cannot allow a guy to score when he travels, especially near the end of a close game. That could turn out to be the winning basket. We have to make that traveling call.

So my video request is for the final ten seconds of the Creighton at Providence game.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

JRut must have been thinking the same thing because he already clipped it.

I did not see the travel in real time. At first I thought we were talking about the passer. Only after looking at it four times did I start to wonder about the shooter. I am certain I would have missed this call, too. Just way too hard at that speed to say with certainty that the dribble ended before or after that foot left the ground. I mean, think of the ramifications if that gets called and then you turn out to be wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sun Jan 03, 2021 at 09:09am. Reason: Fixed the embed URL
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Embed links are tricky... Trying again.

Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 11:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

JRut must have been thinking the same thing because he already clipped it.

I did not see the travel in real time. At first I thought we were talking about the passer. Only after looking at it four times did I start to wonder about the shooter. I am certain I would have missed this call, too. Just way too hard at that speed to say with certainty that the dribble ended before or after that foot left the ground. I mean, think of the ramifications if that gets called and then you turn out to be wrong!

There was no dribble involved. It's a catch by a player on the move.

That said, I know for certain while viewing this video that it is a travel, but I can't say whether or not I would have picked this up if I'm one of those officials running down the court in the last 3 seconds of a tied ball game.

Sometimes a missed called is understandable, this is one of those situations.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2021, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There was no dribble involved. It's a catch by a player on the move.
Good correction. I misspoke. Same analysis, though. Hard to tell in real time if the catch happens while or after that foot leaves the floor.