The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Illinois-Mizzou flagrant foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105207-illinois-mizzou-flagrant-foul.html)

ODog Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:22pm

Illinois-Mizzou flagrant foul

45 seconds left. Flagrant 1 called on Illinois. I don't know NCAA rules, but in HS, this would be nothing, at least in my game.

If JRut could clip it and the NCAAM guys could weigh in, I'd be interested in your opinions.

JRutledge Sun Dec 13, 2020 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1040566)
45 seconds left. Flagrant 1 called on Illinois. I don't know NCAA rules, but in HS, this would be nothing, at least in my game.

If JRut could clip it and the NCAAM guys could weigh in, I'd be interested in your opinions.

I have not looked at the game. I am assuming that is 45 seconds in the second half correct?

Also, the F1 rule is basically the same in practice as the Intentional Foul rules with exceptions to some standards for elbow plays. I will look at the play and get put it up if I got something.

Peace

JRutledge Sun Dec 13, 2020 05:43pm

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jchlQimArtA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Nevadaref Sun Dec 13, 2020 06:18pm

There is a problem with the rule for a monitor review in a case such as this, namely that the basket which the offending player/team scored still counts!

If the monitor review results in a foul being charged to the scoring team during that offensive possession (prior to when the goal was made), then the goal should be canceled.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 13, 2020 06:21pm

Question for our current NCAAM officials:
During a monitor review such as this one can the officials only charge an F1 or F2 or do they have the option to charge a common foul which would be a team control foul in this instance? (Or a PC if the situation warranted it. For example, the post player in this video had already caught the pass and then this contact occurred.)

In an NFHS game, I would call a team control foul.

Camron Rust Sun Dec 13, 2020 07:18pm

That isn't even foul.

The defender reacted BEFORE the hand got there. And the hand got there because he (the defender) pulled it there.

Academy Award Nomination there!!!

Raymond Sun Dec 13, 2020 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1040570)
Question for our current NCAAM officials:
During a monitor review such as this one can the officials only charge an F1 or F2 or do they have the option to charge a common foul which would be a team control foul in this instance? (Or a PC if the situation warranted it. For example, the post player in this video had already caught the pass and then this contact occurred.)

In an NFHS game, I would call a team control foul.

If a foul is whistled, then any type of fouls can be called. If there was no whistle for a foul on the play, then you can only come back from the monitor with nothing, F1, or F2.

JRutledge Mon Dec 14, 2020 02:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1040571)
That isn't even foul.

The defender reacted BEFORE the hand got there. And the hand got there because he (the defender) pulled it there.

Academy Award Nomination there!!!

I think this is a foul, but not an F1 IMO. The use of his arm has been seen as illegal and as he extends his arms. Now the antics by the defender certainly was overplayed.

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Dec 14, 2020 04:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040575)
I think this is a foul, but not an F1 IMO. The use of his arm has been seen as illegal and as he extends his arms. Now the antics by the defender certainly was overplayed.

Peace

I see it more like a hook and hold by the defender pulling the offensive player's arm into his own face....making it look like the offensive player fouled.

Raymond Mon Dec 14, 2020 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1040576)
I see it more like a hook and hold by the defender pulling the offensive player's arm into his own face....making it look like the offensive player fouled.

I can see that argument. Depends on whether or not the initial extension of the offensive player is continue a ward-off or not.

JRutledge Mon Dec 14, 2020 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1040576)

Neither post player can extend their arms and it was said this is a foul. That to me was missed or should have been called based on the videos and explanation from JD and the NCAA on the matter.

Peace

LSams Mon Dec 14, 2020 09:41am

Did I miss something?

It looked to me, watching the game, that they put the wrong player on the freethrow line after the monitor review.

Are the free throw trys awarded to the fouled player, or are these like techical fouls where any player can shoot them?

JRutledge Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSams (Post 1040579)
Did I miss something?

It looked to me, watching the game, that they put the wrong player on the freethrow line after the monitor review.

Are the free throw trys awarded to the fouled player, or are these like techical fouls where any player can shoot them?

If the player is considered injured and it is a Flagrant Foul, then the head coach of the offended player can choose who they want to shoot the FTs. So if the player did not stay in the game, anyone can shoot the FT in NCAA Men's rules.

Peace

LSams Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040580)
If the player is considered injured and it is a Flagrant Foul, then the head coach of the offended player can choose who they want to shoot the FTs. So if the player did not stay in the game, anyone can shoot the FT in NCAA Men's rules.

Peace

Thanks!

Raymond Mon Dec 14, 2020 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040580)

Peace

The injured player doesn't even have to leave the game. He can just be too injured to shoot the free throws. It happened in the very first big game of the season when they made the rule change a few years ago in a game between I think Kansas and Kentucky.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk