The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Taunting T: Texas Tech/Houston (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105196-taunting-t-texas-tech-houston.html)

BillyMac Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:49pm

Withhold Whistle ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040409)
Let the play finish and call the T. Not stopping play just to call a T when this play had not ended. And that used to be in the NF casebook as well.

Still there.

10.5.1 SITUATION F: A1 is driving toward the basket for an apparent goal when the official, while trailing the play advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is cursed by the head coach or bench personnel of Team B. How should the official handle this situation? RULING: The official shall withhold blowing the whistle until A1 has either made or missed the shot. The official shall then sound the whistle and assess the Team B head coach or bench personnel with a technical foul. If the official judges the act to be flagrant, the offender shall be ejected. If A’s coach or bench personnel was the offender, the whistle shall be sounded immediately when the unsporting act occurs. (10-4-1a)

Camron Rust Sun Dec 06, 2020 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040409)
We can always wait for the play to end to call a technical foul. As a matter of fact this was talked about in the NCAA meeting specifically if I recall. I have no issues with a T being given after the player is over. I think otherwise is not usually normal practice. Let the play finish and call the T. Not stopping play just to call a T when this play had not ended. And that used to be in the NF casebook as well. Not sure what the hurry is other than to split hairs so we can enforce other rules.

Peace

The case play you refer to is where calling the T would take a way an obvious scoring opportunity. That isn't applicable here. Call the game as it happens, not manipulate it unnecessarily just to make it easier. The T occurred during a live ball not in team control, call it as such. It isn't that difficult.

JRutledge Sun Dec 06, 2020 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1040416)
The case play you refer to is where calling the T would take a way an obvious scoring opportunity. That isn't applicable here. Call the game as it happens, not manipulate it unnecessarily just to make it easier. The T occurred during a live ball not in team control, call it as such. It isn't that difficult.

I think people are doing a lot of speculating and twisting themselves into a box. I think this T is clearly what was said right after the block. I have no issues with the way this was handled. Again I think this is a huge assumption at this point as to anything other than the end of the game. Again, I think people just want to be super perfect with things they do not know what was ruled. Again I am good with the situation.

Peace

crosscountry55 Sun Dec 06, 2020 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1040416)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040419)
I think people are doing a lot of speculating and twisting themselves into a box. I think this T is clearly what was said right after the block. I have no issues with the way this was handled. Again I think this is a huge assumption at this point as to anything other than the end of the game. Again, I think people just want to be super perfect with things they do not know what was ruled. Again I am good with the situation.

Ok so if this were a debate contest critical of argumentative coherence, sorry JRut....love your work....but Camron wins this round hands down. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Sun Dec 06, 2020 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1040420)
Ok so if this were a debate contest critical of argumentative coherence, sorry JRut....love your work....but Camron wins this round hands down. [emoji3]

Not trying to win an argument, I find this discussion extremely assumptive to say for sure what the T was for. I am going to try to find out, but I can bet money that was just resulted in the actions after the blocked shot. If I get different information I will clarify this as I did in the WVU-Gonzaga situation.

Peace

crosscountry55 Sun Dec 06, 2020 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040422)
Not trying to win an argument, I find this discussion extremely assumptive to say for sure what the T was for. I am going to try to find out, but I can bet money that was just resulted in the actions after the blocked shot. If I get different information I will clarify this as I did in the WVU-Gonzaga situation.

Peace

At least as far as Cam and I are concerned, we don’t care about hat the T was for (someone else in the thread pondered that). Regardless of what it was for, and regardless of whether it was before or after the blocked shot, the calling official began to signal before the ball was dead. So whatever his signal was reflecting must have likewise occurred before the ball was dead.

The POI should have been an AP throw-in for Houston. The only alternative explanation is that whatever the T was for occurred before the try was released. But I seriously doubt that.

Going back to my original question, I wonder what the national coordinator or the average commissioner would want to see happen here? Check the monitor to make sure you get the POI right, or treat it as if the foul occurred after the ball was OOB like everyone in the building probably just assumed.

JRutledge Sun Dec 06, 2020 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1040424)
At least as far as Cam and I are concerned, we don’t care about hat the T was for (someone else in the thread pondered that). Regardless of what it was for, and regardless of whether it was before or after the blocked shot, the calling official began to signal before the ball was dead. So whatever his signal was reflecting must have likewise occurred before the ball was dead.

The POI should have been an AP throw-in for Houston. The only alternative explanation is that whatever the T was for occurred before the try was released. But I seriously doubt that.

Going back to my original question, I wonder what the national coordinator or the average commissioner would want to see happen here? Check the monitor to make sure you get the POI right, or treat it as if the foul occurred after the ball was OOB like everyone in the building probably just assumed.

The ball was knocked over the official's head and behind him. No one was getting that ball. Now maybe to some a little quick, but to me that is being so technical and finding nits in the shit if you ask me. I cannot even believe we are even having this discussion (but not on this site) trying to find the perfect ruling so we can say, "See I saw that..."

I doubt the NCAA would even point this out because that is not something they point out. It is not a reviewable situation, so no it would likely not be mentioned at all by them or any supervisor.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Dec 06, 2020 04:41pm

Lousy Nits ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040425)
... finding nits in the shit ...

Won't find them in excreta, you will find them attached to the hair on one's head.

https://www.peststrategies.com/wp-co...near-scalp.jpg

Gross.