The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 11, 2020, 08:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For IAABO Eyes Only ...

My local IAABO board doesn't tell us when IAABO makes changes in the International Mechanics Manual. I struggled a bit with these three IAABO Refresher Exam mechanics questions.

It's an open book exam and my local board not only allows, but encourages, collaboration.

My regular pizza and beer collaboration group is not meeting due to COVID.

How did I do?

4) After an official disallows a goal for a basket interference violation, he/she shall report the cancelled goal to the scorer from within the designated reporting area.

My answer: Yes.

5) When an official rules a violation, he/she should maintain the stop-the-clock signal while stepping toward the area of the violation, stop, then signal the type of violation.

My answer: No. Does not step toward the area of the violation.

6) When officials issue a warning, they should use a conversational tone and simply state “Coach this is your behavior warning,” and visually hold up one hand with the “stop sign.”

My answer: No. No "stop sign".

7) Officials must hand the ball to throwers on all frontcourt endline throw-ins.

My answer: No. Hand or bounce. After thirty-eight years of always handing the ball on frontcourt endline throwins, they changed the mechanic two years ago, unbeknownst to me. I just noticed the change today.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 12, 2020 at 03:50pm.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2020, 09:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

You don't have continuously tell us that IAABO or your board or whoever allows collaboration. Are you expecting someone to turn you in to the test-taking police?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 11, 2020, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Who the hell came up with the idea of going to the reporting area to wave off a goal for BI? No thanks.

And this year in my area we’re supposed to bounce all throw-ins to help with social distancing.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2020, 09:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Follow The Bouncing Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My local IAABO board doesn't tell us when IAABO makes changes in the International Mechanics Manual.

Officials must hand the ball to throwers on all frontcourt endline throw-ins. My answer: No. Hand or bounce. After thirty-eight years of always handing the ball on frontcourt endline throwins, they changed the mechanic two years ago, unbeknownst to me. I just noticed the change today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... this year in my area we’re supposed to bounce all throw-ins to help with social distancing.
I hate it when IAABO International makes mechanics changes and doesn't publicize them. I'm on our mechanics training committee and just last week I told our trainees that they have to hand the ball on all front court endline throwins, the way it was for the first thirty-eight years that I officiated. Now I have to go to tonight's training meeting with my tail between my legs and tell the trainees, "Never mind".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Nov 12, 2020, 04:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Manual Says ...

5) When an official rules a violation, he/she should maintain the stop-the-clock signal while stepping toward the area of the violation, stop, then signal the type of violation.

Manual: Maintain the stop the clock signal. Stop, then signal the type of violation.

6) When officials issue a warning, they should use a conversational tone and simply state, “Coach this is your behavior warning”, and visually hold up one hand with the “stop sign.”

Manual: Officials should use a conversational tone and simply state, “Coach this is your behavior warning”.

7) Officials must hand the ball to throwers on all frontcourt endline throw-ins.

2020-21 Manual: On all throwins the administering official has the option to hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in. Throwin Frontcourt End Line: Lead may hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in.

2019-20: Administering official may hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in. Throwin Frontcourt End Line: Lead may hand or bounce the ball to the thrower-in.

2018-19 Manual: Exception: On all frontcourt end line throw-ins the ball shall be handed to the thrower-in. Throwin Frontcourt End Line: Lead shall hand ball to thrower-in.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 12, 2020 at 04:50pm.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2020, 04:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reporting Area ...

Quote:
Who the hell came up with the idea of going to the reporting area to wave off a goal for BI?
Maybe I was wrong?

4) After an official disallows a goal for a basket interference violation, he/she shall report the cancelled goal to the scorer from within the designated reporting area.

Manual: Reporting Area: All table communication. To enhance communication and to avoid errors and mistakes, the official shall report each foul, time-out, warning, etc., to the scorer from within the designated reporting area.

Remember this is a written exam, not a real game.

So what's the correct answer on my written exam?

Is a basket interference violation cancelled goal an "etc." "table communication"?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 12, 2020 at 05:39pm.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2020, 11:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

SC Official Was Correct ...

Quote:
IAABO Refresher Exam mechanics questions ...
Quote:
Who the hell came up with the idea of going to the reporting area to wave off a goal for BI? No thanks.
Got this one wrong. I should have listened to SC Official.

After an official disallows a goal for a basket interference violation, he/she shall report the cancelled goal to the scorer from within the designated reporting area.
No. Page 72, Graphic Narrative - New for 2020-21
Manual: Reporting Area: All table communication. To enhance communication and to avoid errors and mistakes, the official shall report each foul, time-out, warning, etc., to the scorer from within the designated reporting area.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 01, 2020 at 12:53pm.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2020, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Out Of Bounds Long Switch ...

Quote:
IAABO Refresher Exam mechanics questions ...
I got this one right, but only because I misread it.

During fast break transition, the ball goes out-of-bounds in the front court, on the new Lead’s sideline above the free throw line extended. When this occurs, the new Lead will become the Trail and administer the sideline throw-in, and the new Trail will become the Lead.
Yes. Page 67, Graphic Narrative- New for 2020-21
Manual: Throw-In/Transition Fast Break To Frontcourt Sideline: During fast break situation, ball out-of-bounds on new Lead’s sideline, in the front court, above free throw line extended. The Lead administers the throw-in as new Trail, Trail becomes new Lead.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 01, 2020 at 12:08pm.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2020, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got this one wrong. I should have listened to SC Official.

After an official disallows a goal for a basket interference violation, he/she shall report the cancelled goal to the scorer from within the designated reporting area.

If I saw an official jog to the report area to report BI like he's reporting a foul, I would probably choke on my whistle from laughing.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2020, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

And So On And So On And Scooby Dooby Doo-Bee Ooh Sha Sha ...

Everyday People (Sly And The Family Stone, 1968)

Quote:
Quote:
If I saw an official jog to the report area to report BI like he's reporting a foul, I would probably choke on my whistle from laughing.
In a real game, as the trail, I would take a few steps toward (not necessarily all the way into) the reporting area (to an open area) to allow or disallow a basket for basket interference or goaltending.

To defend my incorrect answer, one would think that allowing or disallowing a basket for basket interference or goaltending would fall under the category of "etc." to enhance communication and to avoid errors and mistakes ... foul, time-out, warning, etc.

Allowing or disallowing a basket seems like pretty important information to communicate(e) ... to avoid errors and mistakes.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 01, 2020 at 01:43pm.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2020, 12:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lead's Sideline Responsibility ...

Quote:
During fast break transition, the ball goes out-of-bounds in the front court, on the new Lead’s sideline above the free throw line extended. When this occurs, the new Lead will become the Trail and administer the sideline throw-in, and the new Trail will become the Lead.
Yes. Page 67, Graphic Narrative- New for 2020-21
Manual: Throw-In/Transition Fast Break To Frontcourt Sideline: During fast break situation, ball out-of-bounds on new Lead’s sideline, in the front court, above free throw line extended. The Lead administers the throw-in as new Trail, Trail becomes new Lead.

IAABO (and I believe NFHS) used to do this back when the lead had the entire sideline (didn't stop at the free throw line extended, actually extended all the way into the backcourt) as his boundary responsibility, not only in fast break situations but even in a half court set.

I remember doing this when the old trail called a backcourt violation on his sideline and I, as the new lead, would sprint (back prearthritis, pretorn meniscus, prebone spurs, when I could actually sprint) the length of the court.

I thought that IAABO did away with this “long switch” for good reason.

Seems it would be easier for the old lead to cross the basket line into the frontcourt to administer the sideline throwin and for the old trail to cross the basket line to become the new lead, thus fulfilling the creed of “only switch on a foul”.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 01, 2020 at 01:47pm.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2020, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

One And Done ...

Quote:
... they changed the mechanic ... unbeknownst to me. I just noticed the change ...
While preparing to teach my local board's mechanics training sessions, I discovered that this trail initiated frontcourt rotation was was done away with after only appearing in the IAABO mechanics manual for a single year (2016-17).

When pressure is applied in the frontcourt, near farther sideline in Trail’s PCA, Trail may rotate beyond the basketline toward or to farther sideline to provide the maximum coverage. As a result of Trail rotating, Lead may rotate across the basketline, changing the Lead’s new PCA, field of vision cone, and line responsibility.

I never actually did this, but it would have been nice if somebody told me that the mechanic was changed after existing for only one year. I don't know who to blame, IAABO International, or my state, or local board, for not announcing the change. Of course it's also my fault for not reading the entire manual every single year (as I've been advised to do to prevent not being aware of things like this) and for me assuming that if mechanics changes weren't announced that there were no mechanics changes.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 02, 2020 at 12:03pm.