The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAW Test (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105167-ncaaw-test.html)

bob jenkins Wed Oct 21, 2020 05:01pm

NCAAW Test

Anyone doing the NCAAW test and want to compare answers?

Jfpdi Thu Oct 22, 2020 07:52pm

I have done the test. Very difficult to compare answers as the test pool of questions is 125 different questions and your 50 questions may not be the same as my 50 questions. I just met with my study group last night to try and complete the test and it was a 4 hour meeting and we did not get through everyone's test. We will be meeting again next week. It is unfortunate that the NCAA chose to do this as it prevents officials from collaborating, which I thought was something they want officials to do, at least when you are working as a crew. As the last 7 months have shown we all need to be able to come together and be relational. This test, unlike in years past, does not promote working as a team.

Camron Rust Thu Oct 22, 2020 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfpdi (Post 1039933)
I have done the test. Very difficult to compare answers as the test pool of questions is 125 different questions and your 50 questions may not be the same as my 50 questions. I just met with my study group last night to try and complete the test and it was a 4 hour meeting and we did not get through everyone's test. We will be meeting again next week. It is unfortunate that the NCAA chose to do this as it prevents officials from collaborating, which I thought was something they want officials to do, at least when you are working as a crew. As the last 7 months have shown we all need to be able to come together and be relational. This test, unlike in years past, does not promote working as a team.

Collaboration is a good thing until you get 3 people on a game that all got their answers from someone else.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 23, 2020 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfpdi (Post 1039933)

I have all 125 questions.

BillyMac Fri Oct 23, 2020 08:59am

Collaboration Or Cheating ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1039934)
Collaboration is a good thing until you get 3 people on a game that all got their answers from someone else.

On my high school board, with an actual paper IAABO Refresher Exam, open book, in the past we had dozens of meetings scheduled across our local area to compare answers, group leaders had the answer sheet, and one wasn't allowed into the meeting without a completed exam (group leader checked). Attending the meeting was mandatory (sign in and sign out sheets) to receive assignments for season, however passing the exam was not mandatory. It was a nice setup for collaboration (each question was discussed) and seemed to discourage cheating (copying answers).

That's changed. We now take an online IAABO Refresher Exam, open book, with no collaborative meetings scheduled to compare and check answers. And we have two attempts to get 80% of the questions correct. If we don't get 80% of the questions correct we must attend a single location, one time only, "Remedial" class, or not receive assignments for the season.

It's a setup that is ripe for cheating (copying answers).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cart...rn4152_low.jpg

Multiple Sports Sun Oct 25, 2020 07:03pm

In true Billy Mac form...

BM -

Just love how you jump on a thread that you have no involvement with and give us some meaningless post just to pad your numbers with regards to total posts.

BillyMac Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:16pm

Cheating ...

Camron Rust broached the topic of cheating versus collaboration on exams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1039934)

I followed up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1039936)
It's a setup that is ripe for cheating (copying answers).

I talked about true collaboration on a team that has much value in rule discussion versus plain old ordinary lazy cheating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1039958)
... meaningless post

So how is my post meaningless? Because I switched from college to high school?

JRutledge Mon Oct 26, 2020 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1039959)
Camron Rust broached the topic of cheating versus collaboration on exams.

So how is my post meaningless? Because I switched from college to high school?

If neither of you work the level, then it is really silly to comment on what shoudl or should not take place at that level. People review the tests all the time for multiple reasons. It gets them talking about situations. Was in a group last week and was invited to another this week, but will have a game.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Oct 26, 2020 02:13pm

Collaborative Learning..

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1039960)
People review the tests all the time for multiple reasons. It gets them talking about situations. Was in a group last week and was invited to another this week.

Excellent example of collaborative learning, on any level, high school or college.

BillyMac Mon Oct 26, 2020 03:09pm

When In Rome ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1039960)
If neither of you work the level, then it is really silly to comment on what should or should not take place at that level.

Maybe you're right, because I don't know what I don't know.

Taking a high school open book exam by one's self and then comparing and discussing answers with others who have also already taken the open book exam is collaborative learning. Same thing if an answer sheet is involved.

Getting a few guys together with pizza and beer and discussing and answering high school open book exam questions together is also collaborative learning. Same thing if an answer sheet is involved.

When a guy who hasn't cracked a high school rulebook and hasn't actually yet taken the open book exam and simply phones a friend who has already taken the open book exam and the guy gets all the answers from that friend who may, or may not, have an answer sheet, and then the guy submits those answers without even reading the questions and answers; that guy is not really involved any form of collaborative learning, and may be considered to be cheating.

Last situation (maybe any of the three situations) are probably not true for all high school officials. When in Rome ... It's certainly frowned upon here in my little corner of Connecticut, where not getting a passing grade (80%) on the open book exam means one has to attend single location, one time only, remedial class, or not receive assignments for the upcoming season.

A few years ago I observed two veteran officials shoot one and one free throws with rebounders on the lane lines in a game with a fifteen point differential with 0:00 on the game clock at the end of the fourth period and with the game ending horn sounding.

I wonder how these two guys "collaborate" on their annual refresher exams? Neither official said, "Hey, wait a minute ...".

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.v...=0&w=237&h=178

JRutledge Mon Oct 26, 2020 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1039961)
Excellent example of collaborative learning, on any level, high school or college.

I will put it this way. JD Collins specifically told everyone at the NCAA Meeting that he had no issues with officials going through the test together. It is an open book test that is not timed. So if the top people know we already do this and could create a system or technology to make it not happened, I love the people that go around trying to moralize these tests as if it is only designed to pick off officials from postseason is rather funny to me.

At the high school level, we got away from the NF tests and use a state-run test. And what is funnier is they use amost all the same questions every year over and over. It is just funny how much people on this site try to act like they have any standing with what takes place in an open-book situation. Some people like in this situation need to stay in their lane (not you Billy). But I do think this is not about what we do at the high school level. Your state can create whatever policy they wish to weed-out officials from further opportunities.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Oct 26, 2020 06:50pm

Great Way To Understand ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1039963)
JD Collins specifically told everyone at the NCAA Meeting that he had no issues with officials going through the test together.

From my local board's Refresher Exam instructions:

It is hopeful that you will continue to work with fellow members to complete your Exam. It is a great way to understand the intent of the Rules.