The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Training Meetings (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105114-training-meetings.html)

The_Rookie Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51am

Training Meetings

Every Year we are required to have training hours to get certified. Traditionally, this has been achieved by in person meetings and presentations, along with on court scrimmages. With COVID 19 need to switch to virtual training.

How are your associations handling this? Do you receive training hours credit for doing lesson plans and taking the rules exams? How else do you get credit hours?

Thanks!

JRutledge Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:07am

At this point, everything is going to be online. In Illinois, we have no such meeting requirements for attendance. It is not required to even belong to a Local Officials Association, let alone go to any meetings. Some organizations have meeting requirements to be in good standing, but that is not something that is required at the state level. Associations do not assign games for the most part so nothing really to require. But I am looking forward to seeing what we do in a couple of cases. As if right now we have a basketball schedule that is about the same as normal so I am not sure that meetings will be held at a different time of the fall.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:14pm

Zoom ...

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we're preparing for the possibility of Zoom meetings if needed.

LRZ Mon Aug 03, 2020 01:31pm

In PA, we have to attend a pre-season rules interpretation meeting, and six regular chapter meetings. For this soccer season, all my chapter's meetings, including the interpretation meeting, will be virtual, on-line (GoToMeeting); I do not know how other soccer chapters will conduct their meetings.

No word yet about my basketball chapter.

BillyMac Mon Aug 03, 2020 02:07pm

Fancy Meeting You Here ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1039246)
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we're preparing for the possibility of Zoom meetings if needed.

My local board usually offers seven meetings, a New Rules Interpretation Meeting, a Refresher Exam Meeting (even before COVID, we were planning to put this online), three Regular Meetings, and an Annual Business Meeting (voting).

To be a member in good standing, we must attend at least three meetings, one must be the New Rules Interpretation Meeting, a second must be the Refresher Exam Meeting, and a third can be one of the four other scheduled meetings. Attendance at these meetings is mandatory. A fine of $25 will be assessed for each meeting not attended beyond one missed meeting.

Raymond Mon Aug 03, 2020 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1039243)
Every Year we are required to have training hours to get certified. Traditionally, this has been achieved by in person meetings and presentations, along with on court scrimmages. With COVID 19 need to switch to virtual training.

How are your associations handling this? Do you receive training hours credit for doing lesson plans and taking the rules exams? How else do you get credit hours?

Thanks!

One word: Zoom

My state does have meeting requirements and my commissioners specifically pointed that out during our last Zoom meeting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk