The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Referee.com Case (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105048-referee-com-case.html)

LRZ Mon Mar 30, 2020 03:30pm

Referee.com Case

This is the daily caseplay from Referee.com (I've copied only the NFHS part). The question I have is about the technical foul not counting towards the team. That's not correct, is it? The citations don't address that particular part of the ruling. Have I simply misread "team" to mean "team total" and not "team technical"?

PLAY:
Team A is granted a timeout. As A1 is walking toward team A’s huddle, A1 makes a derogatory comment to an official. The official assesses a technical foul to A1. What sort of technical foul is charged and to whom is it charged?

RULING:
A player is one of the five team members legally on the playing court to participate. Those individuals retain player status during a timeout. Therefore, the foul is a player technical.... The technical is not charged to the team nor head coach (NFHS 4-34-1, 10-4-6a, 4.34.1)

JRutledge Mon Mar 30, 2020 03:44pm

All Technical Fouls are charged to the team at the NF level. Now I believe this is still a player Technical foul as they stated, but it would be wrong that the team would not have that foul count towards their team total.

Peace

LRZ Mon Mar 30, 2020 04:15pm

If "team" means "team technical," the ruling is correct, although somewhat ambiguous. If "team" means "team total," it's incorrect, because, as you point out, all technicals in NFHS apply to the team total.

The point of the case may simply be that the player in the game is still a player during the time-out for technical foul purposes, in which case, I'm reading too much into this.

Lots of time on my hands these days, with little better to do.

BillyMac Mon Mar 30, 2020 04:36pm

Does Anybody Proofread Or Edit Anymore ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1038416)
If "team" means "team technical," the ruling is correct, although somewhat ambiguous. The point of the case may simply be that the player in the game is still a player during the time-out for technical foul purposes ...

Agree, but it could have been better worded.

Nevadaref Mon Mar 30, 2020 06:09pm

If the author is attempting to make the point that the five players remain players during a time-out, then the issue lies with the wording of this situation. It is ambiguous at best. Furthermore, under NFHS rules a player technical foul can be earned by someone who is not currently one of the five players. Simply change A1 to A8 in the given scenario. The offender would still receive a player technical foul for the unsporting act despite being a team member who is not in the game and part of bench personnel. The only difference in the ruling would be that the head coach also receives an indirect technical.