The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Post Season Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105039-post-season-questions.html)

Terrapins Fan Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03am

Post Season Questions

Does anyone here do a post season survey? If so, what are some of the questions you ask?

I'd like to know if the officials were happy with their assignments, but I am not certain how to word that.

Also, would like to know what we could do to improve the experience of refereeing HS sports.

Thanks in advance.

Altor Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 1038229)
I'd like to know if the officials were happy with their assignments, but I am not certain how to word that.

Multiple choice/slider scale type questions are probably what you are looking for.

Overall, the number of contests I was assigned this season was _____.
- Entirely too many
- A few too many
- Just about right
- not enough
- Am I even on your list? (or something more appropriate)

The level of contests I was assigned was ______.
- well above my skill level as an official.
- challenging for my skill level.
- about right for my skill level.
- a bit low for my skill level.
- a waste of my time.

Geographically, I was assigned contests that ______.
- were well outside the area I'm willing to work.
- were a little far, but tolerable if kept to a minimum.
- were about the right travel distance.
- could be a little more diverse.
- I officiated the same team 20 times.

Terrapins Fan Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:29pm

Thanks Altor. This helps.

Anyone else?

I also am including questions about rules and floor preparation.

LRZ Fri Mar 13, 2020 01:35pm

Sorta depends on what you hope to accomplish.

Questions about inadequate facilities and support (officials rooms, crowd control; competence of table officials); routinely over-the-line coaches, teams, spectators; usefulness of chapter meetings (with suggestions for improvement); how helpful were evaluations and ratings, if done (with suggestions); play-off selection (the process here always creates some controversy); areas for improving training.

If you implement Altor's "sliding scale" iodea, I suggest giving respondents the opportunity to augment replies, identify specific problems areas, etc.

JRutledge Fri Mar 13, 2020 07:11pm

Quote:

I was very happy with the assignments. I was not happy with the outcome. I lost two games and the tournament ended.

Quote:

Also, would like to know what we could do to improve the experience of refereeing HS sports.

I think emphasize sportsmanship more with the participants. Support officials that do their job to make sure sportsmanship is enforced.

Peace