The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2020, 08:59pm
This IS My Social Life

Michigan Tourneys "Suspended Immediately and Indefinitely" Today

Michigan basketball tournaments "suspended immediately and indefinitely" this morning, just prior to girls' second-round (regional) finals tonight and boys' first-round (district) finals tomorrow. All other winter sports post-season tourneys suffer same fate.

MHSAA Suspends Winter Tournaments . . .
Old Fri Mar 13, 2020, 09:58pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

It will be interesting to see:
  • Whether the MHSAA resumes the winter post-season or opts to scrap them and not have any champions for most of the winter sports.
  • Whether we have spring sports and whether the spring season might be extended into mid to late June or played with the same post-season dates.
  • How assignors handle the present uncertainty, especially with spring sports. Their job is difficult and thankless as it is. I recently got my first softball game assignment for next month, but who knows whether the game will go on as scheduled.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Mar 14, 2020, 04:03am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
It will be interesting to see:
  • Whether the MHSAA resumes the winter post-season or opts to scrap them and not have any champions for most of the winter sports.
  • Whether we have spring sports and whether the spring season might be extended into mid to late June or played with the same post-season dates.
  • How assignors handle the present uncertainty, especially with spring sports. Their job is difficult and thankless as it is. I recently got my first softball game assignment for next month, but who knows whether the game will go on as scheduled.
Would it be considered too overly optimistic for me to continue to maintain my in-season conditioning regiment in hopes of having my recently cancelled post-season assignments reassigned at a later date?

With athletes getting involved with spring sports and halting their in-season conditioning and growing rusty in their individual and group game-mindedness, will any future teams put on the court actually be a good representation of what those teams were prior to the schedule suspension?

As it is, each team, though dreams unfulfilled, can brag that "This was the year we would have made it to the Breslin." If they are called back into the gym for a brief week or two of practice to resume the tournament in May or June or during the summer, would it resemble more a summer camp or clinic than the sharpness of the typical post-season?

Maybe better just to let them all be champions and aim for next season, perhaps. And for officials to prepare for an enriching and enabling off-season.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2020, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

You should stay healthy and in shape regardless.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 16, 2020, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas Jayhawks should be "asterisked" as the champions for 2019-2020 in the NCAA record books bcz they were top-ranked at the last AP poll prior to suspension / cancellation of the post-season.
Old Mon Mar 16, 2020, 12:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No Place Like Home ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Kansas Jayhawks should be "asterisked" as the champions for 2019-2020 in the NCAA record books bcz they were top-ranked at the last AP poll prior to suspension / cancellation of the post-season.
Says the guy from Kansas with the username Kansas Ref.

He probably has a dog named Dorothy.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 16, 2020, 03:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
OK...in my Pete Davidson voice.

Maybe the fans in Lawrence can schedule a rumble with the fans in Spokane.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 16, 2020 at 09:38pm.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2020, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Says the guy from Kansas with the username Kansas Ref.

He probably has a dog named Dorothy.

**Like**

[QUOTE = Raymond] OK...in my Pete Davidson voice.

Maybe the fans in Lawrence can schedule a rumble with the fans in Spokane.

**Like**