The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS: Situation 6 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10502-nfhs-situation-6-a.html)

RookieDude Tue Oct 21, 2003 09:23am

SITUATION 6: A1 jumps from the floor and secures a defensive re-bound. A1 then pivots toward the sideline where a teammate, A2, is standing for an outlet pass. Just as A1 releases the pass, A2 turns and runs down the court. A1 throws a soft bounce pass to where A2 was standing. A1 then moves and secures the ball without dribbling. RULING: Legal action. A1 had the pivot foot on the floor and began a dribble by throwing the ball to the floor (the bounce pass); the dribble ended when A1 secured the ball. Upon reaching the ball, A1 also could have continued the dribble. (4-15-3,4

What if the pass was a "two-handed" bounce pass? Wouldn't this be an illegal dribble when retrieved?

RD

tomegun Tue Oct 21, 2003 09:56am

It wouldn't matter if it was two handed or one handed. I think the point of this is the fact that since it was a bounce pass it could be viewed the same as starting a dribble. You can start a dribble while holding the ball in one hand or two hands. I also run it through some other checks in my mind: You can't travel during a dribble, this "long dribble" could have been continued if the ball was not secured with both hands. The last thing that goes through my mind is "if you wanted to call something what would it be?" It's not traveling or double dribble and the ball did touch the floor.

BktBallRef Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
SITUATION 6: A1 jumps from the floor and secures a defensive re-bound. A1 then pivots toward the sideline where a teammate, A2, is standing for an outlet pass. Just as A1 releases the pass, A2 turns and runs down the court. A1 throws a soft bounce pass to where A2 was standing. A1 then moves and secures the ball without dribbling. RULING: Legal action. A1 had the pivot foot on the floor and began a dribble by throwing the ball to the floor (the bounce pass); the dribble ended when A1 secured the ball. Upon reaching the ball, A1 also could have continued the dribble. (4-15-3,4

What if the pass was a "two-handed" bounce pass? Wouldn't this be an illegal dribble when retrieved?

RD

It's not illegal to start a dribble with two hands.

RookieDude Tue Oct 21, 2003 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

RD

....Ahhhhh, yes...but it is illegal to continue to dribble with two hands...but that is a different situation.;)

I must say though, Situation 6 sounds alot like "passing to yourself." The difference is, I suppose, that a dribble has not been started in Sit. 6.(Untill the pass) If a dribble had been started by A1 then stopped by A1 and A1 passes the ball to A2, who is no longer there...then A1 could not retrieve the ball without penalty.
Correct?

RD

rainmaker Tue Oct 21, 2003 02:13pm

Quote:

If a dribble had been started by A1 then stopped by A1 and A1 passes the ball to A2, who is no longer there...then A1 could not retrieve the ball without penalty.
Correct?

Correct, unless he makes it look like a fumble, but if he's passing to someone who is just leaving, it's not going to look like a fumble.

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Oct 21, 2003 02:20pm

Double negative

Quote:

And without the double negative...

It is perfectly legal to start a dribble with two hands. Smilie... don't forget the smilie :)

rainmaker Tue Oct 21, 2003 04:33pm

Re: Double negative

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:

"It's not illegal," is not illegal, "How not illegal is it? Is it more illegal, or not so illegal as starting with one hand?" starts to feel a little awkward...

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 21, 2003 04:45pm

Re: Re: Double negative

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:

"It's not illegal," is not illegal, "How not illegal is it? Is it more illegal, or not so illegal as starting with one hand?" starts to feel a little awkward...

<i>"Illegal"</i> is a sick bird.

And that's my contribution today to the world's knowledge!