The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jay Bilas?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104992-jay-bilas.html)

justacoach Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:51pm

Jay Bilas??

Is there anyone who is more wrong when commenting on officials' calls/no calls than this fool?

I charted 20 minutes worth of his calls and his accuracy rate well under 50%.

He has something contrary to say every trip down the court.

He makes Billy Packer seem like a rules maven.

Just SHUT UP Jay!!!!

This is the SEC, fool. You want the game called like a badminton match.

Sheesh....

crosscountry55 Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:56pm

Take a number and get in line with the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:02pm

His latest eval of potential NCAA teams on ESPN is filled with comments about how freedom of movement is dead and the officials allow too much physical play now, plus which skill teams will be knocked out early because the officials will allow them to be roughed up.

JRutledge Wed Feb 19, 2020 09:15am

I heard a lot of comments about his commentary last night. It must have been really bad.

Peace

thumpferee Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:38am

He ruined the game for me.

I didn't think he was THAT bad until last night. I had to mute it!

Kansas Ref Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:41am

Vent if you must; however, that is his "Schtick" or "gimmick". He knows as a TV analyst he must find a way to distinguish himself from other TV analysts and gain traction with the viewing audience--ergo: his schtick is to disparage the officiating at every opportunity in order to make a name for himself/distinguish himself with the viewing audience. He'll only become more egregious as the years go by.

crosscountry55 Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1037701)
His latest eval of potential NCAA teams on ESPN is filled with comments about how freedom of movement is dead and the officials allow too much physical play now, plus which skill teams will be knocked out early because the officials will allow them to be roughed up.

He has a right to his opinion and may even be right. But that should be taken up with the national coordinator and the various rules and mechanics committees. Fomenting resistance via broadcast media is irresponsible and damages our profession. Sadly, it probably gets better ratings, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amesman Wed Feb 19, 2020 01:32pm

[QUOTE=crosscountry55;1037705]... Fomenting resistance via broadcast media is irresponsible and damages our profession. Sadly, it probably gets better ratings, too.

"probably"?

Sportscasters, newscasters ... sadly, some more fully cross that line to "entertainer" label than others

justacoach Wed Feb 19, 2020 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1037703)
I didn't think he was THAT bad until last night. I had to mute it!

So, did I catch him on one of his bad nights?

Don't normally watch NCAA games, but he seemed pretty glib and well practiced with his unnecessary barbs.