The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 16, 2020, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If I have a defender who may take out a shooter after they become grounded or there has been contention between the two players, I'm watching for that.

I rather miss a run-of-the-mill rebounding foul than miss a non-basketball play that ends up on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't disagree. But, the point is, if you think the action is over, you move to what you think is the most important matchup to cover. Sometimes we get that wrong. Yes, he missed it. Better positioning may have led to it being caught, or not. If he stays with that and the same thing happens elsewhere, we'd be saying he stayed with the shooter too long.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2020, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
In the video after the shot, there were 4 players that I would consider to be next to each other. Two opponents were near the hoop and then the shooter/defender. There was plenty of space between all other players, especially in the Trails PCA. That space negates attention. Soooo... T should have been right there in closed down position and staying there with those two players until transition begins.
And how does that trail know that there are no other matchups needing attention without, for a moment, looking away, if only for a moment, a moment long enough for something entirely unexpected to happen.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2020, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If he stays with that and the same thing happens elsewhere, we'd be saying he stayed with the shooter too long.
No, we'd be blaming his partner(s) for missing something in their area, just as his partners probably did to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And how does that trail know that there are no other matchups needing attention without, for a moment, looking away, if only for a moment, a moment long enough for something entirely unexpected to happen.
By looking before the event takes place. Anticipating basketball action is extremely easy. We can all see things coming miles before they occur. This foresight is even more applicable to situations that involve the ball, like the OP. This T neither looked at the shot long enough nor anything else in his area. He chose, apparently, the flight of the ball. Anyone would be unaware of anything needing attention by following the ball. Lastly...something unexpected? Always expect the unexpected.

Now, given all that, I will be the 7th to admit that I have missed things. No debate there and I certainly am not perfect. For anyone reading, I just suggest, stay with the shooter/situation by closing in, not away.