The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2020 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104979-2020-nfhs-basketball-rules-questionnaire.html)

BillyMac Mon Feb 10, 2020 05:49pm

2020 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire ...

2020 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Part I – Checkup on present 2019-20 Rules – Were the following rule changes satisfactory?
1. Eliminating by 2024-25 the option of the number style that uses the team jersey color itself bordered with not less than two ¼-inch solid border(s) contrasting with the team jersey color.
2. Permitting, if worn, only one headband, and it must be worn on the forehead/crown. It must be nonabrasive and unadorned, and it must be no more than 3 inches wide.
3. Adding the statement "Hair-control devices are not required to meet color restrictions" to the rule.
4. Not restricting folding or rolling the shorts at the natural waistband seam, provided the shorts are not in conflict with Rule 3-4-5, no drawstring or other part of the shorts intended to maintain them in a normal position causes potential harm to the player or others and wearing of the shorts is not objectionable in exposing the anatomy.
5. Mouthguard
A tooth and mouth protector (intraoral), if worn must:
a. include an occlusal (protecting and separating the biting surfaces) portion;
b. include a labial (protecting the teeth and supporting structures) portion;
c. cover the posterior teeth with adequate thickness;
It is recommended that the protector be properly fitted, protecting the anterior (leading) dental arch and:
d. constructed from a model made from an impression of the individual's teeth; or constructed and fitted to the individual by impressing the teeth into the tooth and mouth protector itself.
State associations may deem a tooth and mouth protector required equipment.
6. Allowing the head coach and any number of assistant coaches to enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out – or has broken out – to prevent the situation from escalating.
7. Requiring the covering official(s), when a held ball occurs, to stop the clock using Signal 2 (straight arm, open palm extended) while simultaneously sounding the whistle, then give the held-ball signal.

Part II – Observations – Have you observed any of the following this year?
1. Cloth-tied hairbands having the extensions tucked in.
2. Increasing number of players leaving the bench during a fight or potential fight situation, possibly due to the new rule allowing assistants to leave the bench in fight or potential fight situations.
3. Increasing number of substitutes being sent to the table and beckoned into the game, even though they were not at the table at the appropriate time to be beckoned.
4. Players tucking the legs of their shorts into their compression shorts or undergarments, sometimes to the point of making the shorts almost resemble diapers.
5. Despite simpler apparel rules and guidelines, coaches not ensuring that their players are wearing legal apparel and becoming agitated when apparel rules are enforced, creating a contentious situation before the game begins.
6. Additional delays of the game due to players shooting the ball after a whistle for a foul or violation.
7. Increasing number of games in which one team holds the ball for more than 35 seconds before attempting a shot.
8. Increasing number of hand-checking calls in games.
9. Increasing number of players wearing concussion headgear.
10. Increasing number of traveling violations.
11. The majority of the officials in your area using the proper NFHS signals.

Part III – About the rules for 2020-21 – Would you favor:
1. Dunking being allowed during pregame warmups with the same provisions as dunking during the game (i.e., no hanging on the rim).
2. Discarding the carry signal and replacing it with the illegal dribble signal.
3. Changing slapping the backboard to a violation, much like swinging the elbows.
4. Making cloth-tied hairbands legal, as long as the resulting extensions are tucked in.
5. Not re-setting the 10-second backcourt count if the offense calls a time-out or the defense causes the ball to be out of bounds.
6. If a team has more than one coach sitting on its bench, during fight or potential fight situations, requiring (by rule) at least one coach to remain at the bench to supervise bench personnel.
7. Charging the offending team a penalty if the head coach has verified that his or her players will wear their uniforms and apparel in accordance with the rules and later players are found to be non-compliant with the current uniform and/or apparel rules.
8. Charging the offending team’s head coach with a penalty if after the head coach has verified that his or her players will wear their uniforms and apparel in accordance with the rules and later during the game players are found to be non-compliant with uniform and/or apparel rules.
9. Resetting team fouls to zero at the end of each quarter, eliminating one-and-one situations and awarding two free throws for the fifth and all subsequent team fouls in a quarter.
10. Changing current undershirt rules so, if worn, undershirts would have to match the color of all other apparel items. This would mean that headbands, wristbands, sleeves, compression shorts, undershirts – all apparel items – would have to match on each player and all team members.
11. In addition to current requirements, including that headbands be a smooth band, without knots.
12. Adding the following to list of “Warning for Delay”: Shooting the ball after a whistle has sounded for a foul, violation or held ball.
13. Beginning with a team’s eighth foul in each quarter, awarding two free throws whether or not the first free throw is successful.
14. At the end of each quarter, with the exception of any subsequent overtime period, zeroing out the team foul count.
15. Resetting the fouls after each quarter. Beginning with the sixth team foul, teams would shoot two free throws, and fouls would reset after each quarter to zero.
16. Requiring the use of the 35-second clock in high school games at all levels.
17. Requiring the visiting team to wear white jerseys.
18. Requiring the home team to wear a contrasting dark color. (The darker of the school colors or black)

Freddy Mon Feb 10, 2020 09:48pm

Of the 36 survey questions, I scored 17 "Yes", 16 "No", and 5 that had to go to the AP arrow. What do I win?

crosscountry55 Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48pm

These questionnaires are looking more and more the same every year. Tired ideas that never amount to a hill of beans in April. I guess the game is pretty stable and maybe that’s ok.

Part III #3 looked new. Seems like slapping the backboard as a cyclic fad is going through its decadal crest right now. Violation? Hmm, I don’t know. There might be a lot of decent shot block attempts that cost a rebound opportunity and give possession back to the offense. But it would likely curb the fomenting bullpoopery that is about 80% of all backboard slaps.

Maybe a violation is a price you’re willing to pay once in a while to be athletic and aggressive. It certainly is that way in NCAA, where the penalty can be actual points instead of just a throw-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNIPERBBB Tue Feb 11, 2020 07:58am

Do we really need to regulate mouth guards? If you wear one, just keep it in your mouth.

crosscountry55 Tue Feb 11, 2020 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1037507)
Do we really need to regulate mouth guards? If you wear one, just keep it in your mouth.

I saw a point guard last weekend who would take it out and hold it to call a play, then put it back in while dribbling and carry on.

Then I thought of the recent encouragement from NFHS over mouth guards, and I thought to myself, “You know, self, there’s a lot of talking in basketball and if we force mouth guard use, we’re either going to have a lot of dripping saliva when they are removed for speech, or we’re going to have a lot of players running around the court who sound like zombies in dental chairs.”

Count me in the group that would prefer not to mandate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNIPERBBB Tue Feb 11, 2020 02:05pm

I especially don't want to take a dentistry class to see if a mouth guard is legal with all these requirements let alone inspect one. Or are they about to sign a deal with a mouth guard maker to get nfhs approval stamps on the guards.

frezer11 Mon Feb 17, 2020 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1037498)
2020 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Part II – Observations – Have you observed any of the following this year?

4. Players tucking the legs of their shorts into their compression shorts or undergarments, sometimes to the point of making the shorts almost resemble diapers.

How have we not mentioned this yet. Hilarious. Whoever lobbied to get this wording on the questionnaire has my respect.

LRZ Mon Feb 17, 2020 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1037682)
whoever lobbied to get this wording on the questionnaire has my respect.

fify.