The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   HC on the floor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104974-hc-floor.html)

Jqb12 Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:18pm

HC on the floor

Can the HC, by the rules, come out onto the court to request a Time out? Referring to NFHS rules.
Thanks

crosscountry55 Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqb12 (Post 1037419)
Can the HC, by the rules, come out onto the court to request a Time out? Referring to NFHS rules.

Thanks

Technically no. However, if it’s a loud gym, he/she is perhaps behind me, critical spot in the game, etc., and steps a few feet out to improve the chances I’ll see or hear him/her, then I will cut them some slack. So long as it’s professional and doesn’t interfere with play in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jqb12 Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50pm

Thank you

Freddy Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1037420)
Technically no. However, if it’s a loud gym, he/she is perhaps behind me, critical spot in the game, etc., and steps a few feet out to improve the chances I’ll see or hear him/her, then I will cut them some slack. So long as it’s professional and doesn’t interfere with play in any way.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xal6IqG_ll4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillyMac Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06am

For Educational Purposes ...

As a sidenote to the original post:

10-6-1-C: The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer
with personnel at the scorer’s table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4.

5-8-4: Responds to the scorer’s signal to grant a coach’s request that a
correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession
mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be
presented at the scorer’s table where a coach of each team may be present.

thumpferee Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1037420)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you do if, after you so graciously granted their TO request, they feel compelled to tell you how to do your job?

Rich1 Fri Feb 07, 2020 01:02pm

Unsweetened please...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1037427)
What would you do if, after you so graciously granted their TO request, they feel compelled to tell you how to do your job?

Unless he is extremely quiet and polite about it, this becomes a T! Especially if he is still on the floor.

BillyMac Fri Feb 07, 2020 01:04pm

Timeout Area ...

Quote:

It depends on what he says, not where he says it.

Once the timeout is granted he has a right to be on certain parts of the playing court.

1-13-3: The timeout area shall be the area inside an imaginary
rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench),
end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line
nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the
coaching-box line.

BillyMac Fri Feb 07, 2020 01:07pm

Words Matter ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich1 (Post 1037429)
... Especially if he is still on the floor.

Even if he has a legal right to be there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1037430)
It depends on what he says, not where he says it. Once the timeout is granted he has a right to be on certain parts of the playing court.

If he's charged with an unsporting technical foul during the timeout, my game report will probably not include any reference to where he's standing, unless he's standing outside of his timeout area, and even then, his words are probably (with few exceptions) more relevant than where he's standing.

I'm going to bet that most unsporting technical fouls given to coaches during timeouts and intermissions are not given to coaches standing in their coaching boxes, but within their timeout areas.

Now if a coach runs across to the other side of the court to offer his criticism to me personally, well that's another story for another day.

MattReferee Fri Feb 07, 2020 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqb12 (Post 1037419)
Thanks

Yeah...rules are in placed but we as officials have to use game management..

Jqb12 Fri Feb 07, 2020 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1037424)
As a sidenote to the original post:

10-6-1-C: The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer
with personnel at the scorer’s table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4.

5-8-4: Responds to the scorer’s signal to grant a coach’s request that a
correctable error, as in 2-10, or a timing, scoring or alternating-possession
mistake be prevented or rectified. The appeal to the official shall be
presented at the scorer’s table where a coach of each team may be present.

So he can request the TO from the table, but not out on the court, per the rules.

Raymond Fri Feb 07, 2020 02:53pm

Quote:

Walk right past him like he doesn't exist anymore and report the time-out to the table.

Raymond Fri Feb 07, 2020 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqb12 (Post 1037433)
So he can request the TO from the table, but not out on the court, per the rules.

Only for the purposes of addressing a correctable error. And he/she will only be charged that time-out if no error gets corrected.

Jqb12 Fri Feb 07, 2020 03:05pm

OK, so as crosscountry55 stated, "technically no", there is nothing in the rules that gives the coach permission to come out onto the floor to request a TO. Of course, we can use good judgement/management in that situation.

scrounge Sat Feb 08, 2020 02:38am

I routinely tell HC's in pregame that if it gets loud or I otherwise can't see them, as long as they don't get in the way I have no issue with them coming on to the court a step or two to get our attention. Is it explicitly allowed in the rules? No. But we see this in football too - HC's aren't allowed to leave their coaching box, but they have the ability to run down as far as they want to get a TO if they want it, we've all seen that.