The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Undershirt sleeves (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104946-undershirt-sleeves.html)

BryanV21 Sat Jan 25, 2020 03:45pm

Undershirt sleeves

When it comes to undershirts I've always ruled that players are allowed to wear short or long sleeves, just that one player can't have a shirt with one long and the other short.

A partner today is telling me that all players have to wear either long or short sleeves.

Ruling?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Jan 25, 2020 04:06pm

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1037114)
When it comes to undershirts I've always ruled that players are allowed to wear short or long sleeves, just that one player can't have a shirt with one long and the other short.

Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey, and shall not have frayed edges. Undershirt sleeves shall be the same length. Note that this rule does not require all players to wear the same length sleeves on their undershirts, but each individual player must have sleeves the same length on the undershirt when worn.

3-5-6: Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of
the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the
undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length.

3.5.6 SITUATION: Prior to the opening jump, an official notices (a) A1 is wearing an undershirt with sleeves cut off and hemmed at the shoulders. A2 and A3 are both wearing undershirts with normal length sleeves; (b) A4 is wearing an undershirt with a visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark. RULING: All players are wearing legal apparel. (a) The rule does not require all players to wear the same length sleeves on their undershirts, but each individual player must have sleeves the same length on his/her undershirt when worn; (b) A visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark is permitted on the undershirt as long as it meets the logo requirements in 3-6.

SC Official Sat Jan 25, 2020 05:11pm

Your partner must be pulling from the MSU rule book.

BryanV21 Sat Jan 25, 2020 05:56pm

Thanks. I was sure I had it right, but figured I'd put that out there for the hell of it.

CallMeMrRef Mon Feb 03, 2020 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1037115)
Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey,

3-5-6: Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of
the jersey

Similar colors - spirit and intent - is black similar to a dark blue jersey? Are shades of red similar? I try to allow players to wear undershirts that are NOT clearly different from the torso of the jersey. I believe the rule is to help officials differentiate opponents for fouls, out of bounds, etc.

In the same manner, I would tell a coach, they appear to be similar to me tonight, but they may not be deemed the same with another crew.

Thoughts?

Raymond Mon Feb 03, 2020 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef (Post 1037358)

In the same manner, I would tell a coach, they appear to be similar to me tonight, but they may not be deemed the same with another crew.

Thoughts?

That would definitely apply to my philosophy as I am color-blind and have a very difficult time distinguishing different hues and shades.

BryanV21 Mon Feb 03, 2020 04:41pm

Quote:

Similar colors - spirit and intent - is black similar to a dark blue jersey? Are shades of red similar? I try to allow players to wear undershirts that are NOT clearly different from the torso of the jersey. I believe the rule is to help officials differentiate opponents for fouls, out of bounds, etc.

Thoughts?

I warncoaches about things other officials may not allow.

jmwking Mon Feb 03, 2020 06:06pm

Anyone else bothered by the yellow gloves some KC players wore last night? I kept seeing flags out of the corner of my eye...
:eek:

Altor Tue Feb 04, 2020 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmwking (Post 1037366)
Anyone else bothered by the yellow gloves some KC players wore last night? I kept seeing flags out of the corner of my eye...
:eek:

Of all the uniform police rules there are, a ban on yellow colored gloves and shoes in football would be entirely appropriate.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1037114)

A partner today is telling me that all players have to wear either long or short sleeves.

Ruling?

My ruling is that your partner needs to actually open a rules book and that he owes you a postgame beverage.

ilyazhito Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:57am

Sleeve length can be different for the entire team, but each player must wear the same length of sleeves.

BillyMac Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52am

Reason ...

Quote:

I believe the rule is to help officials differentiate opponents for fouls, out of bounds, etc.

Agree.

By custom, in my little corner of Connecticut, we allow illegal undershirts in scrimmages. I've worked preseason jamboree type scrimmages where players from several teams wear reversible practice jerseys (for some reason Connecticut frowns upon real jerseys being worn in scrimmages) and reverse their jerseys (but not their undershirts) depending on which teams are participating that period.

Based on those scrimmage experiences over forty years, I can tell you with 100% certainty that undershirt colors not matching jerseys, different color undershirts on teammates, and same color undershirts on opponents, can turn easy calls into slightly more difficult calls, especially during rebounding action, both for out of bounds, and for fouls.

Can officials call a game with no undershirt fashion police rules in place, or enforcedf? Sure we can.

But it's a little easier to call a game with such rules in place, and enforced, and slightly less likely that a mistakes will be made.

Plus, it's a better look that this is an organized game, played under formal rules, under the guidance of trained officials, and that it is not a playground pickup game.