The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   6 Players During TF Administration (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104927-6-players-during-tf-administration.html)

crosscountry55 Sun Jan 19, 2020 06:41pm

6 Players During TF Administration

NFHS. During the final FT of a multiple throw, C charges A2 with a TF before A1 releases the ball. A1 takes his final free throw with the lane clear and then the crew shifts focus to the other end for the TF FTs.

During the transition to the other end, an official beckons in a sub for Team A to replace buffoon A2. A2 doesn’t realize it immediately, and so mills around the division line with all the other players. The crew starts to administer the first TF FT just as Team B notices Team A has six players on the court and tells the nearest official, who also notices this just as A2 is finally ambling off the court.

Thoughts and what would you do?

Raymond Sun Jan 19, 2020 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1036879)
NFHS. During the final FT of a multiple throw, C charges A2 with a TF before A1 releases the ball. A1 takes his final free throw with the lane clear and then the crew shifts focus to the other end for the TF FTs.

During the transition to the other end, an official beckons in a sub for Team A to replace buffoon A2. A2 doesn’t realize it immediately, and so mills around the division line with all the other players. The crew starts to administer the first TF FT just as Team B notices Team A has six players on the court and tells the nearest official, who also notices this just as A2 is finally ambling off the court.

Thoughts and what would you do?

Crew dropped the ball by not ensuring a player left the court prior to administering the next set of free throws.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sun Jan 19, 2020 08:13pm

More Than Five ...

I’ve always had problems fully understanding the administration of the 10-1-6 (more than five team members participating simultaneously) penalty. If a team has more than five team members participating simultaneously, then a team technical foul is charged. This infraction is penalized if it is discovered by the officials while being violated, in other words, while more than five team members are currently participating as players in the game.

Here’s my problem. I wish that the NFHS was more definitive about what "participating" means, as well as what "while being violated" means. If there are six team members participating, does it matter whether, or not, the ball is dead, live, clock running, clock not running, or if there is, or isn't, a timeout (not an intermission)? What defines whether, or not, a player is participating? Does it have to be during a live ball, clock running, situation? Can it be during a live ball, clock stopped situation, i.e., ball at disposal of free throw shooter? Can it be during a dead ball, clock running situation, i.e. dead ball immediately after a made field goal? How about during a dead ball, clock stopped situation, i.e during a timeout?

Theresia Wynns finally cleared that up.

From the IAABO Sportorials November/December 2017 issue, article entitled Rules Interpretations and Clarifications from NFHS In-Person Meeting (with Theresia Wynns, NFHS Basketball Rules Editor):

More than five players on the court not observed by officials: If Team A has more than five players on the court during a live ball and the officials do not realize it, should the officials charge Team A with a technical foul if the scorer notifies officials of the infraction during the next dead ball period? Answer: No. An on-court official must observe the excess number of players on the court during a live ball and a team having more than five players on the court during a live ball shall be penalized only if the infraction is discovered while being violated.

It would be nice if this interpretation made its way into the casebook.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." (Scottish proverb)

bucky Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:11pm

I would do nothing.

You indicated that the "..crew starts to administer.." It is a dead ball until the FT shooter has it. So if noticed before then, no big deal and get extra player outta there. If FT shooter has it, maybe you got something technically by rule but when it is the crew's fault and there was no advantage, let it go.

(Hard to believe that entire crew missed 11 players before administering although they were probably more concerned with getting all of the players behind mid-court, which I have witnessed that in the last 3 games:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

BillyMac Wed Jan 22, 2020 08:39am

No Rebounders

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1036949)
... getting all of the players behind mid-court, which I have witnessed that in the last 3 games ...

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Everybody get behind the division line”, often said by an official before free throws for a technical foul, or an intentional foul, is not rule based. According to the rule, the nine non-shooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended, and behind the three point arc, and do not have to stay behind the division line. In some cases, this may allow players to legally converse with their coaches.