The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Free Throw Mechanics Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104926-nba-free-throw-mechanics-question.html)

BillyMac Sun Jan 19, 2020 07:56pm

Rip Van Winkle ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1036881)
The board/association I currently work for in Virginia still uses this old school mechanic for 2-person. They even still call it Cadillac.

Do you still have to climb up ladders to get the ball out of the peach baskets?

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.J...=0&w=253&h=191

ilyazhito Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1036878)
Used to be in 3-Person too. The Center used to administer the first of multiple FTs. It was that way for the first few years of my career, then they made the lead administer everything.

Peace

So the NBA mechanic on free throws is a holdover from how 3-person mechanics used to be? Perhaps NBA just borrowed free throw mechanics from the old high school and college 3-person mechanics, since they didn't have their own 3-person mechanics until the 1988-89 season, aside from a 1-season experiment in 1978-79.

In that case, it might make sense why thr language in the manual is as it is. The manual seems to reflect more modern officiating practices. However, one of the more recent supervisors must have changed the free throw practices back, without editing the mechanics manual to reflect the new (old) changes.

Ed Rush said that the NBA "wanted the Slot to control the lane". Was that also the reasoning under old HS and college 3-person mechanics to having the Center administer the 1st free throw?

Raymond Mon Jan 20, 2020 07:30am

I really don't think anybody here is putting that much thought into it. We all do whatever the mechanic is for the level we're working.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JRutledge Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1036891)
So the NBA mechanic on free throws is a holdover from how 3-person mechanics used to be? Perhaps NBA just borrowed free throw mechanics from the old high school and college 3-person mechanics, since they didn't have their own 3-person mechanics until the 1988-89 season, aside from a 1-season experiment in 1978-79.

I do not remember exactly what the NBA was doing at that time. I know when I stared in 96, we were doing the mechanic with the C administering the first of multiple FTs. I do also remember that this must did not change until later in the early 2000s as I remember a friend of mine working the McDonald's All-American Game and he would talk about this mechanic as he would get in the camera view when a player was about to take a free throw attempt. I am pretty sure the mechanics were the same for both levels of college as well. What year that change took place, I cannot tell you off the bat of my head. But probably somewhere between 2000 and 2004.

As Raymond said, we did not think about it that much. When the change was made we changed. I thought it was a good change at the time but it took some getting used to for the first few games, after that it was like riding a bike.

Peace

justacoach Wed Jan 22, 2020 03:51pm

Hurry up and wait...

As to speeding up the game. G-League has an experimental rule this season to only shoot 1 FT regardless. Slot administers.

In final 2 minutes it reverts to normal number of shots where slot administers first and trail handles any remaining.

Camron Rust Wed Jan 22, 2020 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1036974)
As to speeding up the game. G-League has an experimental rule this season to only shoot 1 FT regardless. Slot administers.

In final 2 minutes it reverts to normal number of shots where slot administers first and trail handles any remaining.

Why would the trail handle the remaining? Wouldn't it be the lead? That would make more sense. (I don't watch any G-league, so I wouldn't actually know what they're doing)

justacoach Wed Jan 22, 2020 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1036979)
Why would the trail handle the remaining? Wouldn't it be the lead? That would make more sense. (I don't watch any G-league, so I wouldn't actually know what they're doing)

Of course, you're correct. Let me correct it.

ilyazhito Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55pm

Since the NBA resumed play in the bubble, Lead now handles the ball on all free throws. This change has persisted into the 2020-21 NBA season as well. I don't know if it is a temporary thing due to the virus, or a permanent shift in the NBA mechanics.

Rich Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25pm

I'm not that old and I remember when the T (in 2-person) handed the ball on EVERY free throw. That's how my career started. And then there were no games worked 3-person in HS basketball.

I *almost* had to work 2-person on Friday night. Oh, the horrors.

JRutledge Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1040956)
I'm not that old and I remember when the T (in 2-person) handed the ball on EVERY free throw. That's how my career started. And then there were no games worked 3-person in HS basketball.

I *almost* had to work 2-person on Friday night. Oh, the horrors.

This did not change until the early 2000s. I did not understand why the NBA wanted to do this again in the first place.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:28am

Cadillac Position ...

Quote:

I'm not that old and I remember when the T (in 2-person) handed the ball on EVERY free throw ...

And in ancient times the NFHS had the trail, on free throws (and most other times), always positioned on the left side of the free throw shooter.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.s...=0&w=227&h=171

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:43am

Wimpy Bounce Pass ...

Quote:

I remember when the T (in 2-person) handed the ball on EVERY free throw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040957)
This did not change until the early 2000s.

1999-2000. After the trail stated the number of free throws the lead bounced the ball to the trail.

It was supposed to be crisp, well timed bounce pass, or the lead heard about it later in the locker room.