The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2020, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Illegal Play???

Had the following in a game and was wondering if it was a legal play (it just did not look right):

4 members of Team A lined up tightly shoulder to shoulder next to the sideline and the 2 middle players continually passed the ball between them in their front court. The defense could not get close to the ball and close guard count could not start because no one held the ball for more than a second.

I know that they cannot line up like this during a throw in to prevent the defense from getting into position, but what about during live ball play?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2020, 09:56am
Courageous When Prudent

There is a case play or rules note that states to continue the 5-second count in this situation.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2020, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There is a case play or rules note that states to continue the 5-second count in this situation.
9.10.1 SITUATION C: Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt: (a) positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane; or (b) has four teammates surround dribbler A1. In both (a) and (b), the opponents are unable to get close to the ball. RULING: This is considered to be a closely-guarded situation and a violation in five seconds in both (a) and (b), if any B player is within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is attempting to gain control of the ball. Preventing opponents from getting to the ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the opponents are attempting to gain control.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I half think that the coach just happened to read a page or two of the case book a few nights before the game and decided to try this just to amuse himself. What the OP describes is just too eerily similar to the case play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 10, 2020, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think you're optimistic in thinking a middle school coach knows that there is a case book . . .

but, seriously, WTF is a middle school coach doing putting this nonsense into a game when he should be teaching them to play the game?