The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 07:32am
Huck Finn

This is something we talked about in a meeting the other day.
Team A request, and is granted, a time out with 1 minute remaining in overtime. As the time out ends the coach from team A requests another time out. Do you give them the time out?

I know the correct answer, do you?
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
This is something we talked about in a meeting the other day.
Team A request, and is granted, a time out with 1 minute remaining in overtime. As the time out ends the coach from team A requests another time out. Do you give them the time out?

Sure.

Sure, I know and sure, you grant the TO request.

The only time successive TOs aren't granted is after the expiration of playing time in the 4th quarter or extra period.

Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 10:29am
Huck Finn

Uh, it is overtime.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uh, it is overtime.
Yes, and playing time hasn't expired.

What's your point?

Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Uh, it is overtime.
Uh, he means overtime. Specifically, he means "The only time successive TOs aren't granted is after the expiration of playing time in the 4th quarter or [after the expiration of playing time in the] extra period."
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Uh, it is overtime.
That's what Bob told you.It's legal. It's only illegal at the end of playing time for the fourth quarter,or the end of each extra period.

NFHS rule 6-12-3. I think that you may be reading that rule wrong.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 11:26am
Huck Finn

You kow what? You guys are right and I have to be man enough to put it out there that I'm wrong. It will be fun at the next meeting! So, even though I'm wrong here I wasn't wrong originally.

I must say this and it is has been bothering me for quite some time. Why do we even have to play politics online? Now I'm not talking about Bob (the moderator) but if you review several posts you can see a patern of politics or a click. Now I've humbled myself to say I'm wrong and I hope those involved will step back and look at this before responding. We should be able to talk basketball without being in these little groups like we are in high school. I know those involved don't know me but I'm a good referee and I'm very passionate about doing this the right way. Can't we just help one another without all of this?

Once again, thank you Bob and I stand corrected.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:

I must say this and it is has been bothering me for quite some time. Why do we even have to play politics online? Now I'm not talking about Bob (the moderator) but if you review several posts you can see a patern of politics or a click.
tommy,

I'm not really sure which posts you're referring to, but I think your perception might be b/c you're relatively new to the forum. The folks who have been here a while sort of know each other and like each other (there are exceptions, of course) and poke fun at each other. Maybe when we apply the "poking fun" to people who aren't used to it, it seems mean-spirited, but it's really not meant that way.

And I know it's not important, but in your original statement, I think you meant to write "a clique". That's my role as Mr. Spelling Guy. Or am I Mr. Grammar Guy?

Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

...when we apply the "poking fun" to people who aren't used to it, it seems mean-spirited, but it's really not meant that way.
Except for that crusty old fart JR. He is evil to the core and would bite the head off a kitten just to see the look in the eyes of the little girl who owns it.

Quote:

And I know it's not important, but in your original statement, I think you meant to write "a clique". That's my role as Mr. Spelling Guy. Or am I Mr. Grammar Guy?
Or Mr. Annoying Guy?

Tommy, lighten up, OK?
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by me, Chuck Elias
That's my role as Mr. Spelling Guy. Or am I Mr. Grammar Guy?
Or Mr. Annoying Guy?
Oooooh, I'm sorry, no. We were looking for "Mr. Typoo". Yes, Mr. Typoo. But thank you for playing. JR, tell him what he's won!
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
You kow what? You guys are right and I have to be man enough to put it out there that I'm wrong. It will be fun at the next meeting! So, even though I'm wrong here I wasn't wrong originally.

I must say this and it is has been bothering me for quite some time. Why do we even have to play politics online? Now I'm not talking about Bob (the moderator) but if you review several posts you can see a patern of politics or a click. Now I've humbled myself to say I'm wrong and I hope those involved will step back and look at this before responding. We should be able to talk basketball without being in these little groups like we are in high school. I know those involved don't know me but I'm a good referee and I'm very passionate about doing this the right way. Can't we just help one another without all of this?

Once again, thank you Bob and I stand corrected.
Not what you say but HOW you say it!

Perhaps you could have left out the "I know the answer, do you?" comment after your post. Or maybe it was the "Uh, it is overtime" comment.

Just like talking to a coach...often times it's not what you say, but how you say it.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

...when we apply the "poking fun" to people who aren't used to it, it seems mean-spirited, but it's really not meant that way.
Except for that crusty old fart JR. He is evil to the core and would bite the head off a kitten just to see the look in the eyes of the little girl who owns it.

Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by me, Chuck Elias
That's my role as Mr. Spelling Guy. Or am I Mr. Grammar Guy?
Or Mr. Annoying Guy?
Oooooh, I'm sorry, no. We were looking for "Mr. Typoo". Yes, Mr. Typoo. But thank you for playing. JR, tell him what he's won!
The grand prize is a week in the U.P. with mick.

Second prize is two weeks in the U.P. with mick!
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Just like talking to a coach...often times it's not what you say, but how you say it.
Or from my perspective, like a coach talking to a ref - sometimes it's not the idea you are trying to convey, but the words you use to convey it!