Originally Posted by robbie View Post
You guys are missing the point.
At least MY point.
I can live with all the mistakes.
Didn’t think it went in...
Reviewable or not...
Challenge legit...
Etc...

Then a proper protest was filed and the commissioner stated that the protest was correct.
BUT we are not going to uphold it because the offended had enough time to make up the 2 points.

Yes, embarrassment!!!
That is not what they said. And a protest is not about the rule that is misapplied, but the resolution to the actual protest. A protest was basically asking to overturn the result or play the game over again at the point of the mistake. So if a block/charge call is misapplied with a similar 13 point lead, and that is stated there was a mistake, are we going back to play that game at that point? No, and that is the overall point of what took place here.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Plot Thickens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
"... the crew informed the coaching staff that a basket interference violation had been called on Harden."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I fail to understand why the rules do not allow the officials do replay any odd situation. At times, strange things happen and, due to their oddity, we are unsure how to react. For any moment like that, why not allow, at the discretion of the officials, to review something. Everybody in the world was confused when the play happened, including the officials. Why not make it something they can review at their discretion? Problem solved.

I always thought something similar should be in the NFL and other sports. Think of its usefulness in last year's Saint's playoff game.

Agree/disagree?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 09:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I fail to understand why the rules do not allow the officials do replay any odd situation. At times, strange things happen and, due to their oddity, we are unsure how to react. For any moment like that, why not allow, at the discretion of the officials, to review something. Everybody in the world was confused when the play happened, including the officials. Why not make it something they can review at their discretion? Problem solved.

I always thought something similar should be in the NFL and other sports. Think of its usefulness in last year's Saint's playoff game.

Agree/disagree?
For one, as much as people say they like replay, they really do not like replay to be applied. So if you say they can look at anything, we will have debates about what they can look at all the time. So you have to have some parameters, just like all levels do. You want officials looking at every foul and taking several minutes to figure out if that foul really happened?

This was such an unusual situation and I would suspect most have never seen a situation like this and probably have never seen it like that in any game they have personally officiated.

And people bring up the Saints game, but there were several aspects of that play that were debatable (this is why you cannot rely on the sports media for officiating situations). The ball might have been tipped and even a possibility of the ball not being in the area at the time of contact (which matters BTW), all likely played a role in the original call. And now they do not overturn any PI and people are mad when they don't and when they have overturned the call which is rare under those new NFL rules.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Solved? Are you kidding? So every close call, the coach is going to be barking that the R should go review it? Best way to improve video review is to abolish it. (And while you're at it, get off my lawn . . . )
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Things That Old Men Say For Two Hundred Alex ...

Quote:
And while you're at it, get off my lawn . . . )
... and don't make me get out the hose.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Solved? Are you kidding? So every close call, the coach is going to be barking that the R should go review it? Best way to improve video review is to abolish it. (And while you're at it, get off my lawn . . . )
Every close call? Huh? I indicated odd plays, plays that are very strange and rarely occur. I understand JRuts point too but again, I am talking about giving the authority of the Referee, perhaps after a discussion with the crew, to review a weird situation. Close calls are common and happen all the time. Harden's play is extremely rare and using the review for such a strange play would have resulted in them getting it correct.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 09:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Every close call? Huh? I indicated odd plays, plays that are very strange and rarely occur. I understand JRuts point too but again, I am talking about giving the authority of the Referee, perhaps after a discussion with the crew, to review a weird situation.

Close calls are common and happen all the time. Harden's play is extremely rare and using the review for such a strange play would have resulted in them getting it correct.
What is that standard going to be? Because weird or unusual will likely have to be defined. And then that might be very broad to where you review all kinds of things. And we might get some reviews that would not be intended by the stated rules.

Bottom line from my point of view, there are too many reviews in sports. I get that we want to get things right, but they are usually taking too long or unncessary.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Christ. All these holier-than-thou officials shrieking about "accountability" and haven't sniffed the level of accountability these guys are subject to. SMDH.

The crew was punished for misapplying the relevant rules. What the punishment was is not our business. In high school games rules get kicked all the time and it never gets back to the assigner because the coaches don't know the rules more often than not.

Unfortunate, but not surprising, to see low-level officials basically calling for the crew's jobs.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
"While agreeing that the referees misapplied the rules, Commissioner Silver determined that the Rockets had sufficient time to overcome the error during the remainder of the fourth quarter and two subsequent overtime periods and thus the extraordinary remedy of granting a game protest was not warranted."

Yes, an embarrassment!!!!
I agree, your posts are an embarrassment.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
For which they are being disciplined.
Doesn't matter for him.

He's one of those low-level officials who wants his pound of flesh whenever he sees NBA or D1 guys make a mistake.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 02:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Christ. All these holier-than-thou officials shrieking about "accountability" and haven't sniffed the level of accountability these guys are subject to. SMDH.

The crew was punished for misapplying the relevant rules. What the punishment was is not our business. In high school games rules get kicked all the time and it never gets back to the assigner because the coaches don't know the rules more often than not.

Unfortunate, but not surprising, to see low-level officials basically calling for the crew's jobs.
I'm injured, so I'm on the shelf for a while. I attended one of the HS games I had to turn back, and the crew kicked 2 rules. On one of them, the coach was complaining, which should have triggered a conversation amongst the crew. We talked about it after the game. I told them at this level you can slide by with it, but in college (one of them just got picked up in D2) the entire crew probably would have lost a game.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 04:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'm injured, so I'm on the shelf for a while. I attended one of the HS games I had to turn back, and the crew kicked 2 rules. On one of them, the coach was complaining, which should have triggered a conversation amongst the crew. We talked about it after the game. I told them at this level you can slide by with it, but in college (one of them just got picked up in D2) the entire crew probably would have lost a game.
And that is the part that people do not realize. And it certainly would have gotten back. I have kicked rules over the years and I did not get a call, email or any correspondence to say we missed a rule at the high school level. I have even kicked rules and no one even realized we kicked the rule until we started talking about it much later.

I am sorry, high school officials crack me up with their positions on what guys at these levels do. I have to see guys lose several games with that conference that year over misapplication of a rule or even judgment. I have known officials to get suspended for not following protocols that have nothing to do with the game between the lines.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What is that standard going to be? Because weird or unusual will likely have to be defined. And then that might be very broad to where you review all kinds of things. And we might get some reviews that would not be intended by the stated rules.

Bottom line from my point of view, there are too many reviews in sports. I get that we want to get things right, but they are usually taking too long or unncessary.

Peace
No standard is needed. No definition is needed. As I wrote, it is at discretion of Referee. Look at NFHS Rule 2 Section 3. The play in question happened in a way that was not seen accurately by the officials. Nothing wrong with reviewing this type of play for that reason. They review fights for people coming off benches. This is mostly done because officials can not accurately see and recall those that come off the bench in many fighting situations. There is too much happening for processing. This is similar IMO and a review would have solved the whole issue.